What's new

" HOWE " about this one?? ( Military Acad. Hat Pin )

engine 823

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
312
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Waynesburg, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, ACE 150
" HOWE " about this one?? ( Military Acad. Hat Pin )

Found this at a home built in 1851. Thought it maybe a plate off a car or buggy. Seems like it is familiar but I can't place it.
 

Attachments

  • howe.webp
    howe.webp
    179.3 KB · Views: 500
  • howe.webp
    howe.webp
    179.3 KB · Views: 460
  • 1851 house 003.webp
    1851 house 003.webp
    140.6 KB · Views: 474
Re: " HOWE " about this one??

Just guessing but it could be from a HOWE sewing machine.

howhalftoneuse.jpg


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: " HOWE " about this one??

I think HOWE also made bicycles .. maybe an emblem from one of those.
 
Upvote 0
Re: " HOWE " about this one??

So all this time there's been a howe near the house?
 
Upvote 0
Re: " HOWE " about this one??

creskol said:
I think HOWE also made bicycles .. maybe an emblem from one of those.
Certainly the right size for a bicycle badge. Does it have a concave to it or is it flat? HOWE also made scales in the late 1800's early 1900's ???
 
Upvote 0
Re: " HOWE " about this one??

richm said:
creskol said:
I think HOWE also made bicycles .. maybe an emblem from one of those.
Certainly the right size for a bicycle badge. Does it have a concave to it or is it flat? HOWE also made scales in the late 1800's early 1900's ???
I found the scales on line, too. Howe scales may have been more common than the sewing machines. I don't think it is a bicycle badge. The wear on the back around the screw stem is circular indicating that this item was screwed on and off whatever it was part of.

But, as usual, I'm just guessing...

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: " HOWE " about this one??

Howe Military Academy Hat Badge

Most certain of it.

Have hunted property near there and have pulled some Howe Mil. Acad. pieces in the past.

Just a bit of info.

Howe Military School Founded in 1884, Howe Military School is a private, coeducational, college preparatory boarding school.

Hope this gets a green check :laughing7:

DJH
 
Upvote 0
Re: " HOWE " about this one??

The military academy pin is a thought that had never came to me! It is ironic that I also found a Millersburg Military Institute Belt Plate around the same area. Millersburg is a school not so different than the Howe School you talked about.
Any other thoughts? Also could you post some pics of your finds please.
 

Attachments

  • bb.webp
    bb.webp
    230.9 KB · Views: 233
  • bb.webp
    bb.webp
    230.9 KB · Views: 241
Upvote 0
Re: " HOWE " about this one??

diggin jimmy hoffa said:
Howe Military Academy Hat Badge

Most certain of it.

Have hunted property near there and have pulled some Howe Mil. Acad. pieces in the past.

Just a bit of info.

Howe Military School Founded in 1884, Howe Military School is a private, coeducational, college preparatory boarding school.

Hope this gets a green check :laughing7:

DJH

:icon_thumleft:

http://www.liveinternetauctions.org/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=488&aid=24107&lid=6790780#topoflot

230.jpg


WWI Era Howe Military Academy Cap Badge. No backing screw
 
Upvote 0
Re: " HOWE " about this one??

Nice Bramblefind :icon_thumleft: deserves one of these
 

Attachments

  • CheckMark_Big_Green.webp
    CheckMark_Big_Green.webp
    8.4 KB · Views: 316
Upvote 0
Re: " HOWE " about this one??

Thanks Bramblefind for the pic. and the link.

I searched the internet for a bit trying to find a pic. and had no such luck.

Check please Engine 823 is picking up the tab :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Re: " HOWE " about this one??

Nice I.D. D.J.F. :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom