What's new

HSC buckle ? is it real, or is it fake, I cant find anything online about it

Tnrelicman

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2010
Messages
351
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
East Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT but missing my Etrac
HSC buckle ? is it real, or is it fake, I can't find anything online about it

any info would be great, I can't find anything on it, seller said it was a dug item but that doesn't meen anything to me if I didn't pull it out myself, so anyone with info would be very helpful.
 

Attachments

  • $(KGrHqN,!pEE8WidCVQHBPGHeD(kC!~~60_3.webp
    $(KGrHqN,!pEE8WidCVQHBPGHeD(kC!~~60_3.webp
    86.6 KB · Views: 598
  • $(KGrHqZ,!nME63S99g!QBPGHeDhD-Q~~60_3.webp
    $(KGrHqZ,!nME63S99g!QBPGHeDhD-Q~~60_3.webp
    87.8 KB · Views: 565
Re: HSC buckle ? is it real, or is it fake, I can't find anything online about it

That looks like the same style as mine, thats the only other example I have seen, thanks for the post.
 
Upvote 0
Re: HSC buckle ? is it real, or is it fake, I can't find anything online about it

The "found at the battle of Chancellorsville" tag on it reminds me that I've seen it before. I cannot say it was not found in the Chancellorsville VA vicinity. But I can say with absolute certainty that it wasn't there during the civil war. This style of belt buckle (with three long narrow round-cornered slots in it) did not exist until the early 20th-Century. See the info on page 427 of the book "American Military Belt Plates" by Michael J. O'Donnell and J. Duncan Campbell.

The "HSC" is for Hampden-Sydney College. That school is located in deep-southern Virginia, near the North Carolina border, and is 120 miles south of Chancellorsville.
 
Upvote 0
Re: HSC buckle ? is it real, or is it fake, I can't find anything online about it

I was also thinking it was probally a little later considering I couldnt find the style in my books or online, I got it cheap enough that even if it was a repro, I wouldn't have been upset lol.
 
Upvote 0
Re: HSC buckle ? is it real, or is it fake, I can't find anything online about it

This link to the California Military Museum shows a similar buckle, but with 2 extra slots on the opposite side. Same emblem though, and its for the California "High School Cadets".

The California Cadet Corps was originally called the California High School Cadets, created by an act of the Legislature on 5 April 1911. The California High School Cadets was designed to prepare young men for service in the California National Guard. In 1935, the Legislature changed the organization's name to the California Cadet Corps.

http://www.militarymuseum.org/CCCInsig.html

HSC Belt Buckle.webp
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom