HSN silver dollar coin sets, w/ 4 boxes of halves last night *updated.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Hello all, I know this technically isnt CRH'ing, but I do have four boxes of halves, and will posts results later tonight. I just scored some silver dollars from a classifieds add in my area, and there are two morgan, and 1 peace collections. Are you guys familiar with the blue sets that hold 3 or 5 silver dollars inside? There are certificates of authentication inside, with some info, and they appear to be from the HSN (home shopping network)... Does anyone know anything about these things? (are they legit)? I bought them very quickly because it was a pretty good deal, and as im sitting in the guys living room, his phone was literally ringing non stop (cause of the add)...

Thanks, Chris.

The four boxes last night, 3 out of the 4 boxes were skunks :(... box 2 out of 4 though, saved the day, coming through with five silvers. 3-40%'ers, and 2-90%'ers. :)

Upvote 0
Re: Anyone familiar with the HSN silver dollar coin sets?

As far as I know the coins they sell on the HSN are legitimate coins, but massively overpriced. But silver that was overpriced 10 years ago might be a bargain if somebody sold it now.

captainfwiffo said:
As far as I know the coins they sell on the HSN are legitimate coins, but massively overpriced. But silver that was overpriced 10 years ago might be a bargain if somebody sold it now.

I am just hoping they are legit, and not fakes. I have been warned about many fake silver dollars out there. China is mass producing them as we speak. If they are real I got a great deal though, Im not sure what they would have paid HSN for them, but I know that 25 dollars per is a great deal for me. Like I said, it was quick. Normally I would have had my scale, magnet etc... but this was one of those drop what u are doing and go straight there. I was the first person to view the add, and his phone literally did not stop ringing for five minutes while I was in his house. It was crazy.

The thing is, there are common date Morgans and Peace dollars that were minted in such huge numbers that they are often only worth melt. Back (not that long ago) when Silver was 5 bucks an ounce or whatever, HSN may have been selling circulated 1921 Morgans for 50 bucks apiece or something, even 20 bucks apiece would have been a huge mark-up.

It's the kinda thing that makes me want to keep some basic coin gear (loupe, magnet, flips, etc.) on me at all times, just in case.

I do not order off tv networks, but you got to be careful, shipping could be really expensive for a single item. When they throw in a second item "free". most of the time you have to pay "seperate s/h" which can add up to $10 or more!

So here is a bit of an update, first of all, on the four boxes I mentioned.... 3 of the boxes were skunkers... 1 box(the 2nd one I opened) saved the day, and came through with 2-90%'ers and 3-40%'ers... So 4 boxes, and I got 5 silvers, not bad I guess, could be better, but better than skunked too. As far as the sets I got from someone off of a classified ads website for my area... There are 8 morgans, 3 of them are "special". I say that because they are 100% uncirculated, it seems they are common dates, but I think one of them could be a ms 65 give or take a pt. I think I will take them to a coin shop, and get a professional opinion to see if they are worth having graded and slabbed. The other 5 are "peace" dollars, a couple are in great condition too, but I cant figure these ones out, they are sooooo shiny, almost that chrome looking shine. Someone on here once mentioned that one way to tell if they had been polished is to look in areas that would be hard to polish, and you can see different textures, or tones, or whatever that would be (areas not polished I guess). I cannot see any of those inconsistency's. Does anyone know what else could explain five peace dollars all being shiny like that? besides polishing, or buffing? I guess I will take those to the coin shop too if or when I make it to get their opinion. I was thinking maybe proofs, but it seems that even the proof peace dollars are not shiny like that.

Chris.

TheRockDoc said:
So here is a bit of an update, first of all, on the four boxes I mentioned.... 3 of the boxes were skunkers... 1 box(the 2nd one I opened) saved the day, and came through with 2-90%'ers and 3-40%'ers... So 4 boxes, and I got 5 silvers, not bad I guess, could be better, but better than skunked too. As far as the sets I got from someone off of a classified ads website for my area... There are 8 morgans, 3 of them are "special". I say that because they are 100% uncirculated, it seems they are common dates, but I think one of them could be a ms 65 give or take a pt. I think I will take them to a coin shop, and get a professional opinion to see if they are worth having graded and slabbed. The other 5 are "peace" dollars, a couple are in great condition too, but I cant figure these ones out, they are sooooo shiny, almost that chrome looking shine. Someone on here once mentioned that one way to tell if they had been polished is to look in areas that would be hard to polish, and you can see different textures, or tones, or whatever that would be (areas not polished I guess). I cannot see any of those inconsistency's. Does anyone know what else could explain five peace dollars all being shiny like that? besides polishing, or buffing? I guess I will take those to the coin shop too if or when I make it to get their opinion. I was thinking maybe proofs, but it seems that even the proof peace dollars are not shiny like that.

Chris.
they polish their coins which destroys all numismatic value in them, looks uncirculated and shiny, but will grade a "polished/g4" grade since the coin is ruined.

TheRockDoc said:

Chris.
Pretty much every uncirculated peace dollar i've seen has been frosty. I have a polished one that I bought for less than melt last year. The polished one gleams like a mirror.

Thanks for the replay Stang, and Buf Boy, I figured that is what it was, I was hoping not, so I had to ask. Oh well, I bought them for the silver weight anyway, so no harm no foul... Thank god they didnt do that to the morgans, I am excited to see what the Uncirculated ones might score... I have never owned such beautiful coins. It makes me excited about numismatics. (which is weird for me)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back