Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well where to start? At the beginning I guess, I was able to get out for a 4 hour hunt yesterday on the site I found my Spanish 2 Reale along with Geo III and early American LC's... My first signal was a coin so I thought as it had an inner circle, not able to look at it properly until I got home. Upon inspecting it, I immediately sent a pic to Iron Patch in which I think I had his full attention. We both thought the same thing, that it could possibly be a GW button...but was thicker like a coin and we ruled that out as a GW but we investigated it further and it went back and forth as it may be a counter stamp GW medal on a coin as IP did research and noticed that they did exist. This really got me pump as I think I started to "see" what I wanted to see on it... first attempt at cleaning wasn't much better and after numerous attempts, it was determined it was not at GW medal and may be another counter stamp coin...Again after many more attempt without destroying it I was able to read FLAT BUTT.... Went from being possibly a GREAT find to an Ok find to just a button... I thought the term of a FLAT BUTTON was a modern term but guess it was a colonial one as well.
Well the 4 hours were not in vein, as I was able to pop this Grapeshot out at about 15 inches with my old trusty XS. Then came out yet another 1870 Vickie 5 cent since Sunday. I love digging these due to their shear size and look. Other finds include several George III coins and a 1859 LC, Victorian Kids watch, old earring, silver spoon piece, musket balls and a piece of a clay pipe with "TD" on it...I wish the pictures would stay in the order you put them!... You can see the 3 pics of the button, the one before cleaning and after along with book pic...thought it may have been another variation...Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• GW book.jpg
    GW book.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 351
  • Flat 2.jpg
    Flat 2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 108
  • FLAT.jpg
    FLAT.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 355
  • Grapeshot.jpg
    Grapeshot.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 1870.jpg
    1870.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 363
  • watch.jpg
    watch.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 357
  • Pipe.jpg
    Pipe.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 103
  • 11Nov15.jpg
    11Nov15.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Upvote 11

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
PATRIOT YOU PUT IN SHOCK , WHAT GREAT RELICS YOU HAVE THERE AND SOME DANG NICE HISTORY .

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
heartbreaker yes...but a fine collection of finds just the same.well done sir !!

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job :thumbsup:. Id call that a great hunt. Whats the diameter of the shot, and what is it made of?
If you want the photos in order you can use the Insert image icon. It takes longer, but it works.

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those ones that get you going sure can be a let down too, but you still had a pretty good outing!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thrill of victory and the agony of the FLAT BUTTON!

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling the old relics Patriot, that site is plenty old. Looks like the place has a fair amount of coins..

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry your button disappointed you, but those are all very good finds. Trying to enlarge the cleaned pic, it looks like some scripted letter in the center? Am I seeing things there? I'd love to find that many buttons on one hunt. Nice job.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Looking at the uncleaned pic , I thought I saw what you thought you saw too, alas a heartbreaker for you and a wakeup call for me,,,,man, I really should have my eyes tested! Lol
Great story about your recent hunt, next time for sure!
Although, a GW found in Canada would have been a jewel in your detecting crown this year, and not that you need any more

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good read for a Friday morning... Awesome

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's still an awesome find! This summer I found an eagle sword belt plate that was totally trashed, I had to put it on here to get confirmation on the ID, because It was so bad, I was a little unsure... but I have it preserved and set in a display with the rest of my military buttons, bullets and my snake buckle. A heart breaker find for me, but I'm still happy I found it!

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a lot very nice finds there. Amazing how much that button looks like a GW.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There all great finds.
But at first glance, before you cleaned it. It looked like the chain cent!! Lol.
Bummer Patriot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread