Huge First For Me: Quarter Cut Spanish 8 Reales!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between being so busy and all of the other craziness of this world, I have not been out digging in two months. I was long over due for some dirt therapy. So Thursday evening I saw an opportunity to drop everything and get in a swing or two. So I headed down the road with my youngest daughter to a spot I have been researching to be a possible Civil War camp. There was part of the old road that runs through the property, but it's long gone and grown over with grass. I started on a small rise in the field and found a flat button right away. I thought this was a good sign and dug a fired bullet next. I worked the area slowly and found another flat button and two pewter spoon bowls. It's now getting dark and the bugs are in full force when I got a nice quarter signal on my Etrac. I was expecting a clad quarter as I pinpointed the target pretty shallow in the plug. I busted into the clod and out pops a cut piece of something that I was sure hoping to be my first cut piece of Spanish silver. The excitement grew as I was getting enough light from the full moon to verify I had just dug a huge first. I high five my little girl as I told her that this was a special find for me, and she knows those kind of finds means a stop for ice cream on the way home so she was just as excited as me. After trying to get a good picture of it in the dark, I looked around for just a little bit more and found another smashed piece of lead and a very old padlock. The bugs were telling us to leave and I was ready to get home right after the stop for ice cream. It wasn't until after cleaning it up and comparing it to a half dollar and a silver dollar that I realized I had a quarter cut piece of an 8 Reales! I never thought I would dig one of these. I've only found one Real back eight years ago and these just don't come up often around here. I still don't know if I found part of the Civil War camp or an old home site. Either way I will be back to look around soon. HH Dave

aUucah2.jpg

9JJSNoj.jpg

bYVCy1a.jpg

yCXsaTK.jpg

WCp0NxR.jpg

Upvote 56

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking cut silver, pics and group of finds!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WoW, Congratulations!:notworthy: 45-years of detecting, and the only thing left on my bucket list is a Reale! Super find!:occasion14:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice. Been waiting for someone to find some Spanish on here. Seems its been awhile

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW, Congratulations!:notworthy: 45-years of detecting, and the only thing left on my bucket list is a Reale! Super find!:occasion14:

Thanks Terry! They are elusive little coins. I hope you can cross one off your list soon!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. Been waiting for someone to find some Spanish on here. Seems its been awhile

Thanks toasted. I'm sure glad I could share this one. It is a special find for me.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Research does pay-off, there's your proof Dave! :notworthy:
What a beautiful find and you were rewarded with ice cream for your efforts too. :laughing7:

Dave

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver!

''very old padlock''

Yes, 18th C.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big Congratulations Dave! That is a remarkable find. Given that I've never found a " cut" anything (unless we're counting shredded beer cans), I'm also pretty jealous. I'll bet the icecream tasted great that night. Inquiring minds want to know: What flavor goes with cut Spanish silver? Well done!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the beautiful looking cut quarter piece. :occasion14:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the find. Nice looking details on your find.

Don't know much about them so I did a search for anyone interested.
The design on yours matches the "Milled Bust type" which were minted 1771-1825. Yours was minted in Mexico judging by the M next to the Crown, which narrows the date on yours to 1771-1821 based on this site. LINK .

And without giving up too much info what state are you in (other than the state of euphoria!:laughing7: )

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those always get us real excited!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt! Congrats on the cut silver!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread