Huge First For Me: Quarter Cut Spanish 8 Reales!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between being so busy and all of the other craziness of this world, I have not been out digging in two months. I was long over due for some dirt therapy. So Thursday evening I saw an opportunity to drop everything and get in a swing or two. So I headed down the road with my youngest daughter to a spot I have been researching to be a possible Civil War camp. There was part of the old road that runs through the property, but it's long gone and grown over with grass. I started on a small rise in the field and found a flat button right away. I thought this was a good sign and dug a fired bullet next. I worked the area slowly and found another flat button and two pewter spoon bowls. It's now getting dark and the bugs are in full force when I got a nice quarter signal on my Etrac. I was expecting a clad quarter as I pinpointed the target pretty shallow in the plug. I busted into the clod and out pops a cut piece of something that I was sure hoping to be my first cut piece of Spanish silver. The excitement grew as I was getting enough light from the full moon to verify I had just dug a huge first. I high five my little girl as I told her that this was a special find for me, and she knows those kind of finds means a stop for ice cream on the way home so she was just as excited as me. After trying to get a good picture of it in the dark, I looked around for just a little bit more and found another smashed piece of lead and a very old padlock. The bugs were telling us to leave and I was ready to get home right after the stop for ice cream. It wasn't until after cleaning it up and comparing it to a half dollar and a silver dollar that I realized I had a quarter cut piece of an 8 Reales! I never thought I would dig one of these. I've only found one Real back eight years ago and these just don't come up often around here. I still don't know if I found part of the Civil War camp or an old home site. Either way I will be back to look around soon. HH Dave

aUucah2.jpg

9JJSNoj.jpg

bYVCy1a.jpg

yCXsaTK.jpg

WCp0NxR.jpg

Upvote 56
OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on getting the piece with Charles' horrifically ugly nose on it. He had a face made for radio! :laughing7: That's a great find for sure. :thumbsup:

Yeah he sure had a nice beak on him and I was sure excited to see it. Thanks!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking piece of silver!! I have a 2 Reale but still haven't connected to any cut ones. Also looks like you might be on to that CW camp,good luck :icon_thumright:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah he sure had a nice beak on him and I was sure excited to see it. Thanks!
Speaking of that schnozz, I have schnozzelbit too! It stands out like a sore thumb in this pic :laughing7:

Bits as of 11-1-10.jpg

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking piece of silver!! I have a 2 Reale but still haven't connected to any cut ones. Also looks like you might be on to that CW camp,good luck :icon_thumright:

Thanks! Congrats on the 2 Reales! Any Spanish silver is awesome in my book. Hope you get a cut one soon.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Steve I can't get past drooling over the 15 pieces of cut Spanish to see anything else... :laughing7: Amazing collection you have!
Thanks Dave. While I have found 1/16, 1/8, and 1/2 cut pieces of 8 reales, I haven't found a 1/4 cut like yours.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Speaking of that schnozz, I have schnozzelbit too! It stands out like a sore thumb in this pic :laughing7:

View attachment 1840197

Love your little 1/16 cut of an 8 reales but I think the little 1/8 cut(about 2 pence) of a Pine Tree Shilling is one of the coolest things Ive ever found

Attachments

• 15224826-2DDC-47E2-9A33-1E915ED00594.jpeg
    15224826-2DDC-47E2-9A33-1E915ED00594.jpeg
    465.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 68A713A2-4CA7-4C63-A0D3-B672AD4C23B9.jpeg
    68A713A2-4CA7-4C63-A0D3-B672AD4C23B9.jpeg
    697.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great find, and a nice time out with your daughter. Congrats!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find, and a nice time out with your daughter. Congrats!

Thanks! Yeah even more special of a find to have her along to share in the excitement.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great narrative and congrats on a cut 8R. I scream. You scream. We all scream for ice cream - and Spanish Silver. It's a winning combination.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great narrative and congrats on a cut 8R. I scream. You scream. We all scream for ice cream - and Spanish Silver. It's a winning combination.

Thanks! A very good combo!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread