Hunted out yards still giving!!! Neat token.

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
Got another IHP (1897 - that makes 3 IHPs from this hunted out yard) from the stately yard that gave up the 1876-S seated quarter.
1897IHP.jpg

Got a new yard today that the guy said had already been hunted. The first good signal turned out to be an interesting experience with the Deus II. It was a scratchy but solid 91 in both directions. I took out a full shovel depth plug and the signal was still in the hole. In I go with the pinpointer and start pulling out square nails. I deepened the hole to 12" and checked it again with the Deus. Still a solid 91 but less scratchy now. Pulled out another nail and had no signal at the bottom center of the hole with the pinpointer. I scanned the sidewalls of the hole with the pointer and got a signal at about 10" deep. I pushed the trowel in the side above the signal and flipped some clods out of the side. The signal moved into the center of the hole. I grabbed a handful of dirt and dropped it outside the hole and out came a large copper. The nails had thrown the center of the signal off. I thought I had a large cent for a sec. They are not easy to find in Michigan, but my excitement was short lived as I picked up the piece and realized it was much to thin for a largie. It was caked with dirt and I could not make out much, but I could see that it was a token about the size of a half dollar. Here is what it turned out to be.

SavingsBankToken.jpg

The back reads, "We will accept this on deposit for 50 cts if you open a new savings account of $5.00 or more leaving it in the bank 6 months and pay 4% interest on your savings."

Poorly worded, to say the least. I would never pay 4% interest on my savings. I think they mean THEY will pay YOU 4% interest on your savings.

I cannot find this token on the internet. Can any of you token guys help?

Upvote 22

Casey13

Sep 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got another IHP (1897 - that makes 3 IHPs from this hunted out yard) from the stately yard that gave up the 1876-S seated quarter.
View attachment 2120628

Got a new yard today that the guy said had already been hunted. The first good signal turned out to be an interesting experience with the Deus II. It was a scratchy but solid 91 in both directions. I took out a full shovel depth plug and the signal was still in the hole. In I go with the pinpointer and start pulling out square nails. I deepened the hole to 12" and checked it again with the Deus. Still a solid 91 but less scratchy now. Pulled out another nail and had no signal at the bottom center of the hole with the pinpointer. I scanned the sidewalls of the hole with the pointer and got a signal at about 10" deep. I pushed the trowel in the side above the signal and flipped some clods out of the side. The signal moved into the center of the hole. I grabbed a handful of dirt and dropped it outside the hole and out came a large copper. The nails had thrown the center of the signal off. I thought I had a large cent for a sec. They are not easy to find in Michigan, but my excitement was short lived as I picked up the piece and realized it was much to thin for a largie. It was caked with dirt and I could not make out much, but I could see that it was a token about the size of a half dollar. Here is what it turned out to be.

View attachment 2120629

The back reads, "We will accept this on deposit for 50 cts if you open a new savings account of $5.00 or more leaving it in the bank 6 months and pay 4% interest on your savings."

Poorly worded, to say the least. I would never pay 4% interest on my savings. I think they mean THEY will pay YOU 4% interest on your savings.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool token. I found a near identical worded one for a bank here in Oklahoma. Dates to the mid-1920's

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great looking Indian and the cool old Token !
Old Tokens are always welcomed finds.
I was also going to suggest the Token Catalog site.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2120628

View attachment 2120629

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been hunting a long time, 26 years in one park and still find things every time out, so I'm a firm believer in the "never hunted out" motto, as you continue to prove. Harder work (than your predecessors) pays off practically every time. Well done, excellent finds!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going on the token and the IHP, well dug on both.

Your token is here in the Token Catalog, at least 5 different varieties.

Great token site. I’ve listed a couple on there over the years. 👍

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two very nice finds. I would be very happy with either. I love finding tokens and IH’s.
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread