What's new

Hunters Beware!!

Trooper733

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2013
Messages
390
Reaction score
315
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
My family and I went to a local river (North Canadian) yesterday to hunt for points after the river has finally started dropping. Temp was 98 degrees F. With a heat index of 112. I quit sweating and passed out and my wife saved me by doing CPR to get me breathing again. I spent 9 hours in the ER but finally got to come home last night. I also have two gashes above and below my left eye where my sunglasses cut me when I passed out. I say all this to remind everyone to be careful in the heat and stay hydrated, which was my biggest problem. Ill post some of our finds later, it's hard to type one eyed.
 
Upvote 0
Sounds like you had fun up until that heat thing. I work in it everyday and I am almost tired of it. Hope you found some good ones.
 
That must have felt awful. I have had heat exhaustion a number of times but not full on heat stroke like you describe. I am glad you were with family and made it out of it okay.

It is real easy to overdo it in the heat. I have mentioned this before but I don't mind saying it again: When hunting in the heat drink lots of water and take occasional breaks in a cool area (even a short break in an air conditioned vehicle can help a lot).
 
Hope you get to feeling better! I am quite used to the dry heat, but you folks down south and back east have that humidity, which can be a killer. I always carry water with me plus extra in the vehicle.
 
My family and I went to a local river (North Canadian) yesterday to hunt for points after the river has finally started dropping. Temp was 98 degrees F. With a heat index of 112. I quit sweating and passed out and my wife saved me by doing CPR to get me breathing again. I spent 9 hours in the ER but finally got to come home last night. I also have two gashes above and below my left eye where my sunglasses cut me when I passed out. I say all this to remind everyone to be careful in the heat and stay hydrated, which was my biggest problem. Ill post some of our finds later, it's hard to type one eyed.

That's a close call! Thank God you had family with you to help. That's something we all need to be thinking about when we're out detecting or doing any kind of outdoor activities, hot or cold, remote locations, anywhere for that matter it's always a good idea to have a partner with us for backup just in case!!! I'm glad you weren't alone and that you recovered! Thanks for sharing your experience, it's definately something to be thinking about, having another person with us could mean the difference between coming home, or not!
I hope you made some good finds too.
 
Glad you are home and safe! It is hard this year and I also work out in it. The relative humidity is thick as a knife here. Main thing is that you are ok. I have hunted in Oklahoma over on the Canadian. Beautiful country.
 
I have some items that I bought at a wielding supply co., you soak them in cold water and then tie them around the back of your neck they work real good in this type of heat. One trick for hunts, is that I have 3 and I let them soak in the cold water and then freeze 2 to carry in back pack wrapped in foil, the other one I put in the ice chest and put it on when I get to the creek. Glad you are doing better, you need to be extra careful now, because once you have a heat stroke to that point it does not take much to bring on another.
 
I am glad that there is a successful end to your post and I look forward to seeing what you found.

This summer has been brutal heat wise in south Georgia and I hunt a lot in it. By the time I go to a field I have consumed at least 60 ounces of water and I take bottles of water with me in the field. I continued to drink throughout the time I am hunting the field.
 
So glad you are okay and you weren't hunting by yourself! It's been in the low 90's here and I hunt my creek and sweat bullets but I make myself take frequent breaks and have plenty of water on hand. Most times I'm alone so hoping I don't "fall out" but dang it's been hotter than blue blazes lately. Take care and stay cool!
 
Wow! Glad you weren't alone. That is some serious trouble. I saw a friend stop sweating once. One of the scariest things I've ever seen. It's easy to venture a little further than planned.
 
Sorry to hear that troop and very glad the missus was there with you. I knew a couple of guys in Oklahoma who suffered heat stroke and they said they never could take the heat again as well so take precautions for that. Hydration is very important, even here where I live, where it rarely gets above 80. A little tip, pay attention to the color of your urine. The more yellow it is, the more dehydrated you are. (So I've been told, and it is a good indicator for me)
 
Thanks to everyone for the good wishes. Im still restricted to the house by the missus! but im doing well.
 
Glad to hear that you are o.k. Trooper! Be more careful next time. That heat can be a killer.
 
My family and I went to a local river (North Canadian) yesterday to hunt for points after the river has finally started dropping. Temp was 98 degrees F. With a heat index of 112. I quit sweating and passed out and my wife saved me by doing CPR to get me breathing again. I spent 9 hours in the ER but finally got to come home last night. I also have two gashes above and below my left eye where my sunglasses cut me when I passed out. I say all this to remind everyone to be careful in the heat and stay hydrated, which was my biggest problem. Ill post some of our finds later, it's hard to type one eyed.

Before entering this extreme heat to look for artifacts, it is essential to be hydrated first. The hydration process needs to begin about 24-48 hours before your hunting expedition, and again, every 5-10 minutes while you are out there. To be hydrated, you would need to drink at minimum, a gallon of water every 24 hours before hunting.
 
Glad to hear your ok.

Walk outside here... stand in shade...
You will be sweating within 5 mins.
Humidity = 100%.
 
Think back, was she behind you? was she carrying anything heavy?

Seriously, glad you are still with us
 
Glad you are ok, this has been a brutal July, the drought kinda spoiled us to lower humidty, huh? I just want to add on top of drinking water, also make sure electrolytes are replenished too.On a similar trip to the ER with a friend the doc said just water isn't really enough, and too much can deplete the electrolytes, so be sure and throw in a bottle of Gatorade or similar along with the water.

Good Luck everyone! I haven't kept up with the heat this year, so I'm waiting on a little bit cooler temps myself.
 
This is a thread worth remembering. Very true. Sometimes the heat/fatigue can creep up on a person, especially if they are having a good time otherwise. By then they might be in too deep. Best be with someone...or hunt alone at night when it's not as hot. Just kidding...glad your OK.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom