Hunting Old Railroad Rail Beds.

Jagdpanther

Jun 22, 2005
The Edge
I know that this question has been raised before but I don’t recall it getting a lot of discussion.

The rail bed in questions runs for about 12 miles of which about 8 are still accessible and was used to take people from the city out to an old amusement park near a lake. The rail cars were open air more like trolley cars. Old photos show that it was normally standing room only. The park opened in the late 1800s and ran until the 1950s. In the early 1900s it was visited by 500,000 people a year.

The soil is rather alkaline, and there are a lot of old spikes and other iron in and around the bed. I use a Minlab Quattro.

Looking for advice or techniques that would maximize my time. Should I hunt the center of the bed or off to the side and how far from the bed itself. The line runs east and west so there was no real shady side of the train.

Thanks to all and HH ;)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go straight to the amusement park, LOL! May be some date nails in the old RR ties, not sure where the nails were placed on American ties but here in Germany they are in the center of the tie. HH and good luck, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread