Hypothetical Question

ladyeagle

Aug 16, 2008
Hello everyone I have not posted here before although I have registered and been reading everything in here for a while now.
I am more a CW fan and Indian relic hunter than anything. However, lets say hypotheticlally that I was walking a river bank looking for arrow heads and came upon a cave not far from the river and decided it was a good looking shelter area, then upon entering the cave I do find various indian artifacts and as I am exploring deeper in the cave I come to an area that I have to crawl through that opens up to a large cavern area. In this area I discover a rather large cache of gold bars and CW weapons.
The hypothetical question is how does one go about disposing of this cache? :dontknow:
Thanks,
Ladyeagle

ladyeagle said:
Hello everyone I have not posted here before although I have registered and been reading everything in here for a while now.
I am more a CW fan and Indian relic hunter than anything. However, lets say hypotheticlally that I was walking a river bank looking for arrow heads and came upon a cave not far from the river and decided it was a good looking shelter area, then upon entering the cave I do find various indian artifacts and as I am exploring deeper in the cave I come to an area that I have to crawl through that opens up to a large cavern area. In this area I discover a rather large cache of gold bars and CW weapons.
The hypothetical question is how does one go about disposing of this cache? :dontknow:
Thanks,
Ladyeagle

Very carefully and keep the government out of it. ::)

There are people out there that can help but some of those people are worse than the government. Again, be carefull.

Assuming you have permission to search and recover these artifacts, and the documents to prove you also have legitimate title and authority to dispose of these artifacts once recovered, then, in that process, I'd recommend you strongly consider hiring experts to establish the 'provenence' of the finds--to maximize value and to fully determine the history of these artifacts.
Initially, you may wish to consult with your attorney as to the future course of action.
Don.......

since this is hypothetical in the first place
no laws of any kind could have been broken

so the hypothetical answer would be Very Carefully !

Since this is a fictional situation, I'd go with removing as many of the gold bars and CW weapons as I could to places known only to me. Then, if the fictional government got involved with this fictional story, they wouldn't get EVERYTHING. Then, the fictional character would dispose of the gold and collectable weapons one piece at a time. Sort of like Johnny Cash built his car. :laughing7:

Not hypothetically, when someone decides to make her first post it would be nice if she were not treated like she's a moron so she'll continue to remain a member and feel comfortable adding to the dialog here.

Anyway, Ladyeagle, welcome to T-Net! Hang in there. If some of the things said seem obvious to you (and they probably do since you've been lurking awhile), it's because many are passionate about their THing activities.

I hope things don't get to the point that when new people post they have to add disclaimers that say:

Yes, I KNOW get I must get permission.
Yes, I KNOW I shouldn't TH in cemeteries nor should I disturb burial grounds.
Yes, I KNOW I should be careful discussing my finds.
Yes, I KNOW the government may not be there to help me.
Yes, I KNOW I should wear clean underwear in case I get in an accident and have to go to the hospital . . . . .

Quark said:
Not hypothetically, when someone decides to make her first post it would be nice if she were not treated like she's a moron so she'll continue to remain a member and feel comfortable adding to the dialog here.

Anyway, Ladyeagle, welcome to T-Net! Hang in there. If some of the things said seem obvious to you (and they probably do since you've been lurking awhile), it's because many are passionate about their THing activities.

I hope things don't get to the point that when new people post they have to add disclaimers that say:

Yes, I KNOW get I must get permission.
Yes, I KNOW I shouldn't TH in cemeteries nor should I disturb burial grounds.
Yes, I KNOW I should be careful discussing my finds.
Yes, I KNOW the government may not be there to help me.
Yes, I KNOW I should wear clean underwear in case I get in an accident and have to go to the hospital . . . . .

Cheeeeeeez. Sounds like YOU don't understand ladyeagle's post. Maybe YOU should try reading all of the post just as SHE did. She obviously understands the process of full disclaimer better than..................somefolks. :hello:

And, ladyeagle, welcome to the forum. You've already "proved" your THer intellect. :thumbsup: Good deal. Hope you'll be posting about your actual finds in the near future. ;D

Welcome Ladyeagle!

Hypothetically I would take a lot of pictures of everything in its original place. If you do not have permission hypothetically you might have to do a clandestine recovery...which is a last resort. I would then remove only the gold(first of course) and CW stuff. I would leave the Indian items alone. Then, (to answer the main question you asked) I would take a few coins at a time to coin shows in different cities and sell them. I would take the bars (if they didn't have a foundry or mint mark--because if the do they are more valuable to collectors) to processing outfits out west, a bar or two at a time to each one. If that was enough cash to set me up for life i would donate the CW stuff to local museums and give them pics of where is was found and notify locale Indians of the artifacts and location especially if there is a grave...if not donate them to museum. If it was only one bar and I sold it then i might consider selling the CW relics. A lot of reinactors and CW magazines could help you there.

Hello Again,
Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I often say I hate T-Net because once I get on this site I cannot seem to pull myself away from it. There is so much wonderful information here.
This really was a hypothetical question. I have dreamed of this scenario more than once but was intensely curious as to what other people would do if this ever happened to them.
Just for the record, I am an ethical person when it comes to Indian artifacts and also have a strong degree of Native American blood, my grandmother being full blood Cherokee. I would never remove artifacts from a burial site ( My grandmother would probably come back from the grave and haunt me mercilessly. LOL) Gold and CW relics would be a different matter.
I am a law abiding citizen being as I do not wish to go to jail for any reason, that thought alone scares me beyond belief. I always have permission before I hunt any land and if I cannot obtain that permission then I do not hunt it.
If I ever do come across this sort of mythical place I will surely keep it to myself. Uncle Sam obviously has all the gold he needs considering the amount he takes from my paycheck each week. :wink:
Thanks again for the welcome and the interesting comments.
Ladyeagle

I have never thought about this happening to me. I think my chances of winning a large amount of money from a lotto ticket stands a better chance. But if I ever did find something like this, you will not read about here or in any newspaper.

Happy Trails,
Clayton

Ladyeagle:

Planning for "what ifs" is not a bad thing to do. That pre-planning would give you a place to start instead of leaving your thought process blank to start with. That works in treasure hunting and many other areas of life. When I got my pilot's license, we were taught to keep an eye out for places to land in emergencies. When I was a truck driver, we were taught to look as far ahead, down the road, as possible to spot problems early and to preplan our actions for "what if" scenarios. Now that I have a consealed carry permit, I plan for "what ifs" in different situations from walking down the street, to being at home and having a home invasion begin.

So, keep your dream planning alive. Should the day come when you actually do find a "big ticket" situation, you'll have the basics of your plans already decided on. Believe me, you are not the only one with that dream.

Good luck and happy hunting. :laughing7: :thumbsup:

Welcome to T-Net Ladyeagle.

Nice scenario you thought up. Having never found myself in a similar position I don't think I could advise you. Nice to dream about though. :icon_thumright:

Now, what can you tell us about the car in your avatar.

Unfortunately Diggin the car too is just a dream, sure wouldn't mind finding one of those somewhere. It is actually in the avatar section for this forum I have not yet made my own avatar. Thanks for the welcome.
Ladyeagle

All of us had heard that people found treasure, then took some, and when they went back to get the rest, they could not find it.
If by mistake you find the treasure, take it all to your home, and pay state and federal income taxes. Best of Luck to you.

You "Dug" up out of your backyard, right (wink, wink)? Then quietly sell it off piecemeal through coin dealers, auctions, whatever and do as Conn Danny suggested and claim it as income and pay taxes. The trick is to keep your mouth shut, be patient and sell it off slowly. The reason people lose fortunes, be it the lottery, inherited, or found, is being in too much of hurry and not using sound judgment.

Most coin dealers are crooks, the best was to sell expenses coins is in Coin Auctions. The best is Stack's, check out their websites. Buy the weekly paper, Coin World, and buy these books to give you ideas on how much your coins are worth. Red Book and Blue Book. Best of Luck to all of you. It is very cold in Bridgeport , Connecticut.

ladyeagle said:
Unfortunately Diggin the car too is just a dream, sure wouldn't mind finding one of those somewhere. It is actually in the avatar section for this forum I have not yet made my own avatar. Thanks for the welcome.
Ladyeagle

You never know about finding an old collectible car. Back in the early to mid 1970s there was a treasure story about a cache of old collectible autos being hidden in a cave somewhere in (I think) Colorado..........or maybe California. The lead was printed in True Treasure or Treasure World as one of the small, single column writeups.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back