What's new

I accidentally created 2 more CRHers

markmopar

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2008
Messages
967
Reaction score
88
Golden Thread
0
Location
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at my regular bank wednesday and they told me my usual order would be in this week. as I was chatting with a teller, she mentioned that she and the head teller were getting boxes for themselves and that i was their inspiration.

Dammit! i don't need more competition... ;D
 
Upvote 0
That is bound to happen. These tellers that see us coming back time and time again must know that we are finding something of value to keep returning (they don't yet realize the addictive nature of CRHing since they have not yet begun).

I have had a teller or two quote me the price of junk silver as I pick up my boxes, then they say "I outta be going thru boxes too" or something like that. As long as I am buying boxes it does not really matter much, since they cannot open the boxes and sift through them. As far as buying loose or hand rolled coins from these tellers, better luck next time.

Jim
 
That's why when they ask what I'm up to I say, "oh just looking for a few dates for my albums." At most I'll say, "occasionally I find silver coins." The second statement is just a little too true lately.

Brian
 
jim4silver said:
I have had a teller or two quote me the price of junk silver as I pick up my boxes,
Two weeks ago my best teller said to me as I was leaving "happy hunting"
Do you think he knows? About six months ago he pulled out a small handfull of silver quarters and sold to me for face. Last month he showed my two silver dimes and made a point of telling me they were for him. :D

He is a good guy with a half way interest in coins. Do you think i should let him in on our secret?
 
cyberdan said:
jim4silver said:
I have had a teller or two quote me the price of junk silver as I pick up my boxes,
Two weeks ago my best teller said to me as I was leaving "happy hunting"
Do you think he knows? About six months ago he pulled out a small handfull of silver quarters and sold to me for face. Last month he showed my two silver dimes and made a point of telling me they were for him. :D

He is a good guy with a half way interest in coins. Do you think i should let him in on our secret?

NO!
 
jim4silver said:
........, since they cannot open the boxes and sift through them. .......


That's what you think. With CWI boxes, they can check one end of 50 rolls in each box. If one of the boxes has a walker, franklin, or any silver showing, which boxes do you think you will get.
 
XX said:
jim4silver said:
........, since they cannot open the boxes and sift through them. .......


That's what you think. With CWI boxes, they can check one end of 50 rolls in each box. If one of the boxes has a walker, franklin, or any silver showing, which boxes do you think you will get.

Since I don't buy CWI boxes anymore, it doesn't happen to me. I get Brinks boxes that are completely sealed. Unless the tellers have x-ray vision, or perhaps run a metal detector over them that can single-out silver, then they have no idea of what is in the box.

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
or perhaps run a metal detector over them that can single-out silver,
Jim

Can that work? Is there a way to use a device that will detect silver in a box of rolls?

Mojo
 
coinmojo said:
jim4silver said:
or perhaps run a metal detector over them that can single-out silver,
Jim

Can that work? Is there a way to use a device that will detect silver in a bos of rolls?

Mojo

Mojo,

I am not into metal detecting, but I know alot of people on here are, so they can give a better answer than I can. But I have heard that metal detectors can sense different types of metals and show what they are. If they can discriminate out silver, then it would seem to me that if you ran one over a box it would at least show if there was at least one silver coin or none at all.

Anyone here ever try this with a box?

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
coinmojo said:
jim4silver said:
or perhaps run a metal detector over them that can single-out silver,
Jim

Can that work? Is there a way to use a device that will detect silver in a bos of rolls?

Mojo

Mojo,

I am not into metal detecting, but I know alot of people on here are, so they can give a better answer than I can. But I have heard that metal detectors can sense different types of metals and show what they are. If they can discriminate out silver, then it would seem to me that if you ran one over a box it would at least show if there was at least one silver coin or none at all.

Anyone here ever try this with a box?

Jim

I am reasonably sure it will not work. It is hard enough to find a coin next to any type of metallic object let alone another coin. In the few times when I have found what I would call coin spills (3-20 coins in a hole), my detector would just give one large sound or a quite erratic multiple bell sound. So I do not think a detector will work when they coins are together.

HH,

Scott
 
jim4silver said:
Anyone here ever try this with a box?
I never tried it on a box but I know it will not work, just too much metal in one place. I have a pretty sophisticated detector (XLT) and I know it would just go into overload (too much metal)

If it sees a quarter underground it shows a 25¢ icon on the screen. Once it showed a 50¢ icon so I figuered it found a JFK. WRONG it was two quartes next to each other. Not only is it a good machine, it can do addition. ;D
 
cyberdan said:
Once it showed a 50¢ icon so I figuered it found a JFK. WRONG it was two quartes next to each other. Not only is it a good machine, it can do addition. ;D

Very funny. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Mojo
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom