I am a newbie, and I think Im hooked forever!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I am a newbie, and I think I'm hooked forever!

I've been a life long treasure hunter at heart, but am brand new to this hobby.

Never in my life have I found good silver coins, except for an occasional Merc dime or a mid-fifties quarter. I'll admit that I've always been a tad jealous of those who have found great stuff in change, or from the bank.

Just one month ago, I was in my buddy's shop, where he was telling me about his latest scrap silver finds, probably about $45 worth in just one week, but he agrees that it was luck.

I replied "I've never found any silver in my life, and wouldn't know a piece of silver if it fell on my head."

FWIW, I've been asking my banks for the past 2 years if they had any halves, and promptly get that blank stare, as if I were asking for illegal drugs. "No. We never get those here", and I believe them.

In the past month, I've had lightning strike 3 times:

1. I went to an estate auction, and bought a silver picture frame, for just $2, and it is marked sterling .925, but didn't know it when I bought it. It weighs 4.8 ounces, not in troy, but regular ounces.

2. One week later, I was at the bank, behind a woman selling a small amount of change. When it was my turn, I asked if I could buy any halves. "She brought in some big dollars too. Do you want them?" About 15 Ikes, and I just about fell over when I saw that one of them was a 1922 Peace dollar. "That silly thing won't even fit in my coin holder", one of the tellers said.

There was a very weird moment when the branch manager stepped in. She knew it was something good, as did I, but I didn't even know what Peace dollar was until a month ago. "You can have it. It shouldn't be there", as if she was implying it was counterfeit, while admitting defeat. (I had already paid for it.)

Total score: 1 Peace dollar, one 64 90%, and 2x 40%

3. Then yesterday, I walked into a Walmart bank, where I had never been in my life. When I asked if they had any $2's, the college aged teller said, "Yes, and I have 50 centers too." I bought both rolls.

Wanna know how much of an idiot I am? I started to count the coins in the rolls, and as soon as I tore the paper off the first roll, I got REALLY embarrassed. A solid roll of silver!!!!! Pretty stupid, right?

Total score out of those: 21x 40%

What a blessing!!!! I had heard that silver was at an all time high, but I had no idea, until last night, that the finds I got were worth so much!!!! I've gone nearly 40 years without finding anything of value, and then 3 times in one month!!!

Beginners luck???

Even if I don't have another silver find in my life, it has been a blessing, and very exciting!!

Now if I can just figure out how and where to dump....I even bought a few rolls of dimes today...I am already addicted to this hobby.

Upvote 0
Re: I am a newbie, and I think I'm hooked forever!

:hello: :icon_thumright: Congradulations on the finds !!! Especially the Peace Dollar !!!!!!

Re: I am a newbie, and I think I'm hooked forever!

Great score clovis, you are hooked now.. and I hope you keep your streak going :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
HH...Miner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back