What's new

I am always asked how I find places to metal detect

OutBack Duo

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
925
Reaction score
38
Golden Thread
0
Location
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a lot of you know I have been writing internet articles concerning metal detecting and post them on my website. I just finished probably one of my best ones so far. It is called "How I Find Places to Metal Detect". I actually take the reader through finding a promissing location to metal detect, tracking down the owner and getting permission. Take a look at it and let m know what you think. You can find it at http://www.mymdforum.com/research.htm

Thanks!

Don
 
Great article! Thanks!
 
Thanks don Most useful info I have seen on here in quite sometime thank you Rob. :coffee2:
 
Sometimes I grab a local real estate book and look at older 1900's era homes, call the real estate agent and ask for permission, the one I deal with (the one who found our house for us) always gives me the thumbs up.
 
I like how you mentioned body language, stepping back from the door and remembering to smile is good advice. I love the maps- I think you did a great job!
I usually notice old cars and strike up conversation about it. Driving up in my old Jeep helps this. Knowing a lot of people from the hotrod clubs, I know that if we name drop enough names we'll touch upon someone we both know and it helps with credibility. It's getting up the guts to approach that is the hardest- just like approaching a "for sale by owner" in real estate. The hardest thing for me is ringing the bell! I've only had one person actually chase me off his front yard but I had heard he was a little crazy to begin with- my bad!
 
Thank You - I have you book marked.

I liked the article it was very helpful.
 
Thanks everyone. Keep checking back, I am usually writing a new article about once a month.

Don
 
I recently went to a heritage festival in a small town just north of me,and started to ask some of the older couples who had lived in this town all their lives about how it has changed over the years and how now there's so much asphalt covering all the land and where they lived,etc.,etc.,so i asked this one lady has anybody every asked to dig or swing a coil over your land and she told me no and asked what you could find.I told her all kinds of things from lost keys and rings to money,she told me to come by when ever I wanted,how lucky!
 
This post is a gold mine, in and of itself, and I really appreciate the 411...and I will use the resources as well....SushiDog
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom