I am searching for 7 unlucky CRHers !!! Found the owners thanks.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Fellow Forum Friends, I was going through halves from Kentucky the other day and came across a most interesting roll. Inside was 7 "Gold-Plated" Kennedy Halves. I know the story behind them and I am attaching an article and pic of one of the coins that I borrowed/abused from a fellow forumite.

Here's what I want to do. Please share your most embarrassing CRHing story with the rest of us. I will vote on the 7 most pathetic/pitiful/embarrassing/ CRH stories and I will send the winners free of charge one each of the Golden Kennedys. I will act as commissioner and final judge for the giveaway.

Please don't enter if you have one of these already, I am trying to spread the fun out amongst more of us.
If you just want one of the coins, I will gladly consider your requests also. Thanks and let's have some fun with this. Jim

I had a little fun with this. Thanks, Jim

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 410
Upvote 0

silvershark

Feb 1, 2007
Illinois
Re: I am searching for 7 unlucky CRHers !!!

alright, heres my darkest secret.

about 5 weeks ago,i was driving home from a local bank where i have had some good luck in the past. as I was driving, i was opening up hand rolls that sounded like they contained a good amount of silver. I got to one of the rolls that had 1967-68 written on the side. instantly,my heart rate went up (duh). it was a nice enought day where I had my drivers side window all the way down, enjoying the breeze. I tore open the roll and just as I saw a very good amount of silver edges (not all silver) some old lady with wrap around sunglasses (you know the kind) in a beater minivan pulls out in front of me. the halves went right out the window.

I was only able to recover about 6 dollars worth of the coins 3 of which was 40%.

to this day, no matter how hot it is, I keep my windows up when I go hunting.

-SS

bongo1962

Feb 4, 2007
Buick City

CP9, I have 6 40% kennedey half dollars. I am not able to accumulate large numbers of coins searched because of our limited budget. I have however managed to search $1130.00 in halves since February. The six that I found were in the very first 6 rolls that I found at my CU in Feb. I have not discovered another since. I do not know how pathetic this is, but I assure you that, if you include a printed page about the source of these coins. I will turn it into a school assignment for my Son. Your Friend Bongo

P.S. Thanks to you and others in this forum, Coins have become "OUR thing" according to my Precious Son. Bongo

OP
OP
coolpix9

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Bongo

Bongo, you my friend were going to get coin number 8. I have your address so it is on its way. Thanks, you are the reason I am enjoying my newest hobby. Thanks, Jim

OP
OP
coolpix9

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver shark

We may have to change your name to silver guppy if you keep throwing money out the window. Please PM me your address and the golden boy is headed your way. Thanks, Jim

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's my story from a few months back-

Well,ole Ben made me mad today
on page 6 of this forum-
« on: Feb 07, 2007, 04:09:36 PM »
My experience in the bank today.
I'm sure many of you CRH's have heard this one before,but when it happens to you, it is by far a more terrible,terrible feeling.Here goes-
First a little history-This is my regular branch that I do my weekly banking at.I have ordered boxes here before.I have also turned them in here before.The particular teller in question is a no personality,no looks,no life,homely looking slouch that never cracks a smile for fear it may break her ugly face.She has given me problems in the past. On with the story-

For a brief moment I thought,wow this is great!!
I was at the bank today depositing some cash and I glanced in the coin tray and saw ole Ben Franklin staring back at me with a gleam in his eye! Yeah that's right, there was about a half roll of halves in the coin tray and the top one was a 1953 Franklin.I played it cool and nonchalant.Made my deposit and asked for a balance just for GP's sake.Then as I prepared to turn and leave I said, Can I buy those halves you have there? Well this bit%# looks at me and says,"Oh these are already sold," as she took them out of the tray and showed them to me,They were all Franklins!!!,then she put them back in the tray! I was flabbergasted to say the least! I stared back at her in utter amazement and i'm sure the expression on my face was that of a man possessed,I said to her, What do you mean they're already sold? She replied back with a big sh#*eating grin on her repulsive looking face,"Yes,I bought those,I just haven't removed them yet." By now my blood pressure had risen to the point of which I was ready to pop a main vain.So instead of causing a great big scene, which if you know me,I very easily could have and should have done, I chose to swallow my pride and "act" with a bit of human decency.
By now our conversation had got the attention of the other 2 tellers and a couple of customers standing in line. I took a deep breath and exhaled very slowly as to bring my blood pressure down a notch or two. I calmy stated, If they are already sold then they shoudn't be sitting in plain view of the customers,are you trying to tease me or something,is this how you get your kicks? Since you obviously want those few for yourself get them out of the tray,that tray is for customers,it's not your personal coin collection. Now, while we're at it,I want to go ahead and order two boxes of halves, since I can't have those. Her eyes kinda popped out of her ghostly sockets momentarily and she said,"two boxes?" Yes I replied, two $500 boxes,that equals one thousand,is there a problem with that? She answered with, "No,uh no no problem,they,they won't be here until next Thursday though because we order coin on Mondays." I said, yes I know that,thats the story of my life, a day late and a dollar short.Then I turned and proceeded to exit the bank,as I did I offered her some advice (my fuse was now lit),I said to her,"For future reference, if you have coin in the box in front of me and I ask to buy it from you and you don't sell it to me,I will be demanding the Bank Manager and I will make one hell of a scene until you do.What you did here today is highly unethical and i'm sure it is against Bank procedures and I advise you not to try it again,have a nice day ma'am.
So here I am, 8 long days to wait for my 2 boxes to show up, as Ben was staring at me in the bank today! I'll post my results when I get them next week!

My results were two more skunk boxes.Ive had 14 boxes in a row with nothing and I quit ordering boxes about 6 weeks ago because I am convinced that the halves in my immediate area are going in circles and there is at least one other guy at my bank that is a CRH'er.

snappy

Jan 23, 2007
sidney montana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

I was packing out a bag of dimes placed them in the car and then the top of my pants hit my knees... busy street, security cameras, pedestrians, and who knows what else. I have been on a diet and lost 28lbs in last 3 months. I guess I need to get some smaller pants.

OP
OP
coolpix9

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
diggummup

You are right, that is pathetic. If it wasn't for your sunny Florida weather, you would definitely be in the running. I will keep your story for further judging. Thanks, Jim

OP
OP
coolpix9

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Snappy

My bride of a few years has taken pity on your story. Apparently she thinks I could benefit from a weight reduction. Please PM me with your address and I will send you the coin. Thanks, Jim

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: diggummup

coolpix9 said:
You are right, that is pathetic. If it wasn't for your sunny Florida weather, you would definitely be in the running. I will keep your story for further judging. Thanks, Jim
If I could stay busy working in KY,i'd move back to Lex. in a heartbeat.I'll be back someday.Florida aint what it's cracked up to be.

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter

Well when the new GWD came out a few months ago i wanted to see if i could get one with the rim error on it. SO i got down to the bank and buy some rolls. well i grabbed them all excitedly and ran out to the truck to see what i could find. well in all the excitement i dropped one in the floor of the bank. the teller came out and actually chased me down the road to give it back to me.

its not really embarrassing i just felt dumb. cause how in the world can u drop a whole roll of dollars and not realize it. never did find one with the error though and im not gonna pay the ebay price for one.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This happened the day after my birthday in early March.

I was doing some banking for my job and at the same time I picked up a box of pennies and nickels. It was cumbersome to walk out of the bank with two boxes plus the bank bag from work and fumble for my car keys at the same time. The boxes are small enough to shove under my seats so that's where they went since I go right from the bank to work.

I unload the boxes once I get home later, search 'em and that's that for the night. It's not until the next day that I realize I can't find the bank bag. I tear my place apart, look under my car seats ---nothing. I figure I must have left it on the roof of my car as I was balancing all the boxes and when I drove away it fell off. Duh!!!

I tell my boss what happened (except the buying boxes part!) and he gets paranoid that anyone can get our account number off the deposit slips that were in the bank bag. He calls the bank to find out about changing account numbers. "Big hassle!" he tells me and I'm in the doghouse for a good week.

Fast forward to last week. I'm unloading another two boxes from under the seat and feel something unusual. Guess what I find? Yup, it apparently got lodged up into the seat springs. I'm not telling the boss because he wouldn't find it as funny as I do! At least I get a bank bag out of it.

twister

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2005
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am a single dad and my daughter and I are avid coin roll hunters and detectorists. I have a few stories on here from some of our hunts together. We mostly coin roll hunt cents nickels and dimes mainly because of budget reasons. We do try to get some halves in rolls or loose whenever we can. We live in a very small town and getting them around here is tuff. Her birthday is Saturday and we are going away to do some camping and detecting with her and her best friend and her dad because on next Wednesday her friend is moving back to Germany because of citizenship issues. )Yes I could have a very long rant about that in itself because of the way that was handled by the higher upps) I dont know if I would consider myself unlucky because having my daughter living with me and the times we have together makes me the most lucky I believe anyone could be. Anyway that is my story, nothing exciting.
Thanks for listening.

Twister

kevo

Mar 2, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky

First and foremost: DON'T HUNT IN KENTUCKY LOL...j/k

Heres my story: Just getting into this hobby and starting off fairly well I got very excited and looked at different ways to get as many halves as possible. Well, because of school and work I found it quite hard to find the time to go to all of the possible banks. So, being the smart guy I am I figured I would call around by looking up numbers in the phone book. Well I didn't keep track of the numbers I was calling and called the same back twice within 15 minutes only to find the same lady answer the phone both times. This wasn't too bad though since she couldn't put a face with the call. She said she would order me a box (because I bank there) and it would arrive in like a week. So, the next day I went riding around trying to find banks to buy from and since I didn't keep track of what numbers I called I also didn't keep track of the addresses either. So I go into this bank and ask if they have any half dollars they can sell me and she said "do you have an account here" and I said "yes ma'am", well after asking me my name she was like "didn't I just talk to you on the phone, TWICE, and tell you I would order you a box and to stop by in a week". Man, I felt like such an idiot, I was probably sweating bullets!!! No more white pages for me.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

I have a good freind---he recently went to vietnam to get married---of course me and the wife didn't attend way way too far----however he had it recorded on a cd and brought it back --he's awaiting paper work so his bride can come to the states ---well he invited us to come up and visit him---so that we can "see" the wedding cd ---well for guys watching wedding "video" is as much fun as watch paint dry---going to a wedding is boring enough but at least you get fed-- we watched it the first time all the way to the credits--then some more "freinds" showed up --- on agian it went---it was then that remembered that I "just" happened to have my metal detector in the backseat of the car---so while the ribs were cooking & the women folk started the 1 1/2 hour long CD all over again---I said to my good freind--(he had to watch it 50 times already everytime some one came by on it went)---hey didn't this place used to be an old civil war campground? (really it was) so lets go outside and detect for awhile!!--- my wife gave me "that" look ---if looks could kill---well all we found was some old fence wire at 8 in or so but I did get him out of seeing the same cd ---# 51 time---if given ---it'll be a wedding present for them. P.S. I have one but would like a "pair"---- one for each of them----Ivan

PanManStan

Mar 5, 2007
Milwaukee

Well, I could tell you a story about my pants falling down (true story), they did, or when my 3 yo niece told the teller my breath smelled like poop (true story), it didn't, or the $20,000 (same $2000 over and over, about 40 boxes in 3-4 months) I went through only to find 2 90%, and no Walkers. I was only looking for Walkers, but only 2 90% and no 40%?. But I won't. What I want to bring to light is the post by Kevo, "Anyone Interested In Helping?". I think you should send one to Kevo to help out in his cause.

I think he's not getting responses because maybe folks think he is trying to scam some coin for himself. I think he's genuine. But, heck, you really aren't asking for much yourself for these. It might be worth the risk. Read the post, I'm sure you will agree. This is what you do! You have a generous personality. I remember when you gave the bank bags away, at your own expense!. Beautiful.

I would love to have one. Please send it to Kevo.

Raoul Duke

drink-7-up

Feb 24, 2006
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania

When I first started looking for halves I came home with 10 silvers(3 were 90s and 7 40s)
So I left them on the table to show my wife them when she gets home.Had to cut the grass,when I was done I asked if she saw the halves.She said ya I gave them to our son
so he can buy some gas for his truck.(WHAT).I said they were all silver,she said well you should have put them away.(she didn't know want silver was then)She knows now.Well thats 10 less I have now.

PanManStan

Mar 5, 2007
Milwaukee
Well, thats good news!. Now SHE should have to mow the lawn from now on. Since she apparently doesn't know how to act when YOU mow it. LOL.

Sorry for your loss. Be good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread