hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was scraping for old glass tonight at one of my permissions. An old homesite pretty deep in the woods. I've never been able to figure out where the dumpsite was so I decided to scrape around near a large pile of bricks. I turned up an old marble. I like the old ones. I didn't expect to scrape up a point though. I don't know if someone found it years ago and left it at the site or if it was left by Native Americans. Dirty pics first then cleaned. I didn't expect it to lighten up so much after cleaning either. I'm pretty tired but I wanted to post this tonight. I live in mid-western Indiana. Good Hunting!
20230913_203654.jpg
20230913_202752.jpg
20230913_202445.jpg
20230913_203111.jpg
20230913_203153.jpg

Upvote 30

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck of a nice Hoosier blade bud!!!! Have you found any flakes or chips while digging signals there? If so I'd be digging for more!! Nice marble as well.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice blade ! Maybe the homesteader like the Indian thought the site was a good place to camp/rest. Probably water near by. I like the marble also,,,,, it is a place worth exploring.

OP
OP
hunting deer

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck of a nice Hoosier blade bud!!!! Have you found any flakes or chips while digging signals there? If so I'd be digging for more!! Nice marble as well.
Thanks fishstick! Yeah, a couple years ago I had a screen about a hundred feet away and dug a test hole looking for glass and sifted out another small arrowhead. I thought it was a fluke. The whole place is also littered with 19th century glass fragments and very old bricks. Its pretty far into the woods with no road access that I can see. I only saw two other pieces of large flint tonight but it was there. No mouse ear size ones though. Definitely gonna switch gears and do some more sifting after this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hunting deer

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice blade ! Maybe the homesteader like the Indian thought the site was a good place to camp/rest. Probably water near by. I like the marble also,,,,, it is a place worth exploring.
Thanks Tnmountains! Yeah it's one of my favorite places to explore or even visit. It's a large sloping flat topped hill with two small creeks that wrap completely around it. One on each side so it's totally surrounded by water.

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first pic looked like it was made from Attica green flint. After clean up, I’m not so sure. My kin live in that area. Kingman and Cates.

OP
OP
hunting deer

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first pic looked like it was made from Attica green flint. After clean up, I’m not so sure. My kin live in that area. Kingman and Cates.
I've never studied the different flints. Was def surprised to see it lighten up so much. I live in Clinton a little north of Terre haute.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m thinking that might be Holland flint from DuBois Co IN. This biface is made from Holland and has a similar look. A lot of flint overlaps in the way it looks. Even material from one source is variable. With your location it’s a good guess.
We used to go to Clinton to the Little Italy Festival every Labor Day. My family worked in coal mines near Westville where I grew up.
IMG_2222.jpeg

OP
OP
hunting deer

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m thinking that might be Holland flint from DuBois Co IN. This biface is made from Holland and has a similar look. A lot of flint overlaps in the way it looks. Even material from one source is variable. With your location it’s a good guess.
We used to go to Clinton to the Little Italy Festival every Labor Day. My family worked in coal mines near Westville where I grew up. View attachment 2105085
That wouldn't be too far off. Thanks for the info. I hadn't even tried to identify it yet. Yeah, they just got done with the festival. There's alot of ruined detecting areas around here due to all the coal mining back in the day. I like it around here though. I can go from flat fields as far as the eye can see to rolling hills in a matter of minutes, lol. I have also found some really old stuff detecting I think from being so close to the Wabash river. The Westville in Illinois? Just wondering. I've been jumping across the state line into Illinois detecting lately. A lot of good fields over there and found a couple nice points this year in that area.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always thought blades were a bummer. Later in life I learned they were a step in the next step or possibly an expedient tool. Have since collected a toat ful and they make me wonder. Excellent pieces in imho.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread