✅ SOLVED I didnt think I would have to ask....

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't think I would have to ask....

It has the patent date on it of Aug. 30, 1875, but I couldn't find anything relating to or resembling this item in my patent searches.
Sorry I didn't give a visual size reference. Its just slightly smaller in dia. than a dime. BTW, its not bent from damage. Looks like it was made that way.

Attachments

• IMG_0202 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0202 (Large).JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0203 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0203 (Large).JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0204 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0204 (Large).JPG
    159 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0206 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0206 (Large).JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 138

vhs07

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
Victoria, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Cortez
I've looked also and came up with a blank. Hopefully someone else will have better luck.

Upvote 0

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought a tie clip that you pinch shut.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too searched the patent date with no luck. Judging by the wire that is protruding from the back, there must have been more to it. Interesting find, Breezie

Clip.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I checked it out myself and its going to be hard to find this patent because its stamped with the wrong date. Aug 30, 1875 was a Monday and most patents were done on Tuesdays. I dont think patents were granted on Mondays at least there were NO patents on THIS Monday of Aug 30 1875. So your guess is as good as mine. Could it be Aug31?

On a side note, I guess the green check has been eliminated or maybe we could use the green leprechaun? (wink) It took years of work to get people to use it and I thought it was a good thing to see at a glance which posts were solved. BTW we have so many icons my monitor is not large enough but I cant find a winking icon or a "dont know." Will a Leprechaun hat do?.:leprechaun-hat:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too searched the patent date with no luck. Judging by the wire that is protruding from the back, there must have been more to it. Interesting find, Breezie

Thanks everybody for looking and taking a shot at it. Quite frankly I wouldnt think the patent date would be on the front so that must be the back?

The hinged area gives the idea that it pivoted on something. But its shape doesn't allow it to be a latch like it swung over and held something in place. When I first dug it I thought it was a political hat pin (the kind that slips over the edge of the brim) until I saw the patent info and the hinge area. Im still thinking it slipped over something and the swivel pin held what was to be displayed.

The object is fragile, wafer thin like a half dime so it couldn't have done too much besides hold something light in place. It was from a field where farm houses once stood. I havent found a single coin, but always find evidence from that era. This one piqued my curiosity. Its not often a "what's it" has so much info attached to it but still unidentifiable. I will look at some later patent dates. I would like to give a green check but will wait a little longer to see if there is a confirmation on its origin.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked it out myself and its going to be hard to find this patent because its stamped with the wrong date. Aug 30, 1875 was a Monday and most patents were done on Tuesdays. I dont think patents were granted on Mondays at least there were NO patents on THIS Monday of Aug 30 1875. So your guess is as good as mine. Could it be Aug31?

On a side note, I guess the green check has been eliminated or maybe we could use the green leprechaun? (wink) It took years of work to get people to use it and I thought it was a good thing to see at a glance which posts were solved. BTW we have so many icons my monitor is not large enough but I cant find a winking icon or a "dont know." Will a Leprechaun hat do?.:leprechaun-hat:

BCH, thats very interresting info. I searched "filed" and "granted" on that date but nothing was forthcominng. I will do some looking on the other dates. Thanks

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yes, according to my search, there were no patents "issued" on Monday Oct 30, 1875.

NO green check on this mystery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I'm mainly tagging this thread to get email notifications and follow its progress. While I'm here I'd like to point out there are numerous "Application Filed" dates that fall under the date of August 30, 1875. But the only one that looks like it might be a possibility is patent number 168,713 which was approved on Oct 11, 1875 and is an improvement on a window shade fixture. Maybe the item is a clip of some type that attached to the bottom of the shade fabric itself [Fig. d]. I realize this is a long shot, but its just gotta have something to do with a August 30, 1875 patent. (Filed and/or Approved).

By the way, did you know if you left-click on a posted picture that it will immediately enlarge it? And the more you click the larger it gets. Try it. Its cool. But in order to get back to the original page you will have to back-space on the upper arrow.

SBB

Shade Patent Text with File date August 30, 1875.png

Shade Patent 001.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm mainly tagging this thread to get email notifications and follow its progress. While I'm here I'd like to point out there are numerous "Application Filed" dates that fall under the date of August 30, 1875. But the only one that looks like it might be a possibility is patent number 168,713 which was approved on Oct 11, 1875 and is an improvement on a window shade fixture. Maybe the item is a clip of some type that attached to the bottom of the shade fabric itself [Fig. d]. I realize this is a long shot, but its just gotta have something to do with a August 30, 1875 patent. (Filed and/or Approved).

By the way, did you know if you left-click on a posted picture that it will immediately enlarge it? And the more you click the larger it gets. Try it. Its cool. But in order to get back to the original page you will have to back-space on the upper arrow.

SBB

I didn't catch that patent, it could very well be a part of something like that. I also had the idea that it could be a mouse/rat trap trip lever that straddled something.
I really appreciate your help. The more I read the experts and learn, the better I get at finding things for myself.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Im more inclined to think the date is wrong. I dont recall ever seeing an application filed date used. It would say Patent Pending. Either way its very odd.

It sure looks like a tiny boot lace thing like someone said but I dont see how it would attach? There was an old heel plate and tap company that used the star.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That's great that you unwittingly got an ID on it! Funny how things work sometimes!

Upvote 0

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
suspender decoration ?

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Happy Thanksgiving

Its been a while since I posted anything and thought I'd reply to the email notification I received.

Maybe its a variation of one of these ~ Notice the Filing Date ...

https://www.google.com/patents/US18...a=X&ei=w1uXUv3-Bsf6qwGLnoCIDQ&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAA

Improvement in clasps for attaching straps to horse-blankets
US 187888 A

Publication numberUS187888 A
Publication typeGrant
Publication dateFeb 27, 1877
Filing dateAug 30, 1875

Horse Blanket Clasp.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread