I Finally found it!

Fourwayz

Jun 18, 2007
Out Biking
Detector(s) used
Still deciding IF I want to try again
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have finally found the point that I am done with this hobby. I have been run off property I was invited onto for the last time. It's no longer worth the hours of research to get no hunting here. Too many miles to the beach to come back with $2.00 in clad and a wad of bobbie pins. No longer is there the "thrill of the hunt", not knowing what you'll get. I think I will cut my frustration level down, sell it all and buy a motorcycle I have had my eye on lately. It's been 14 years of fun, elation, and disappointment towards the end. Fin.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It took me over 42 years of diggin' to get to that point, and arthritis played a role in that decision. I haven't given it up altogether yet, but my hunting days are few and far between. Anyhow, enjoy your retirement.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear about your frustrations. Unfortunately it's part of the hobby. I've had cops called by nosy neighbors when I was hunting a permission, run out of a park by the police, told I can't dig by street dept. employees, and I let it roll off. Too much Terra Fir-ma, so little time.

To be honest I have only been detecting hard for the past year. I don't know if I will ever "Find-It" like you have.

rustyshovel

Greenie
Apr 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got into this a couple days ago but I know exactly what your feeling and mine is with my bike! I have an 08 Yamaha 1300 V Star thats customized A LOT! and honestly it sits in my garage and while it's fun to take out once in a while the fun is just about gone with all of the accidents we have around here with bikes, constant worrying if the next idiot on a cell or texting is going to pull out in front of you etc. Why were you run off a property you were invited to?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good plan. Buy a $1,000 motorcycle and sign your organ donor card. Someone will make out. ;-)

Bobby pins? I've never dug a bobby pin. Who looks for iron & steel?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go into the woods to detect. I spend most of my time in the woods now, due to all the jerks who occupy this earth. You never have a bad day in the woods. Exercise, fresh air and wildlife make it fun. I only found 2 rusty barn door hinges today, but I also saw a tiny garter snake and a wild turkey!

Look at it this way. Walking for exercise is boring as heck, but walking with a detector in front of you makes it bearable. Even a couple of decent finds in the woods is better than digging two bucks in clad and dealing with annoying people with their annoying rugrats. HH.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with you RustyShovel, I have a '78 HD Sportster collecting dust in my garage. There was a point 10 years ago when it was the love of my life, now I just wish I could get it the heck out of there and free up some much needed space.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I the only one that doesn't mind digging up clad? Sure, I wish it were all silver and gold but last time I checked, 4 quarters still equal a spendable dollar and it is better in my change jar than rotting away in the ground.

A couple hours outside finding nothing > A couple hours inside finding nothing

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember after detecting for several years and I still had not found anything worth anything. I told myself I'll give it until lunch time and then I'll sell this detector! About 20 minutes later I found my first gold ring and then went on to find 2 more that trip over the next several days. I don't think I'll ever quit! Take a break until you start to miss it! Good luck either way!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all hit slumps from time to time.
The thill is in the hunt, and you never know what you may find.
I realized long ago what lies hidden out there... It is more than you can imagine and going daily.
I've been at it for 25 years.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once you have detecting in your blood it will never go away. It'll go into hiding, but it'll keep coming back. Sell your gear (keeping in mind that you'll get some better stuff when you come back). Try some coin roll hunting. Do some gold panning. Drinking beer is always a good pastime. :tongue3:

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If you're strolling the beach for beach for "miles" to get $2.00 in change, then .... you're at the wrong beach, doing the wrong tactics, etc.... (not to mention that "foil" tells me you're working the dry sand and "bobby-pins" tells me you're probably using a pulse machine). Work the wet sand after storm erosion, where you can dig 200 targets in an area the size of your living room, with ZERO foil (all light stuff washed out), and ZERO iron (assuming you're using a discriminating machine).

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been there. Take a break. You'll look at it differently later.

OP
OP
Fourwayz

Fourwayz

Jun 18, 2007
Out Biking
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Guys! Hey Tom, I went to the beach during the latest storm here in NC. AND just afterwards when the beach erosion was at least 3 feet...almost 6 in some areas. I am using a discriminating beach machine and will dig all targets out of boredom. Now how about those water areas that are dry from the drought?

OP
OP
Fourwayz

Fourwayz

Jun 18, 2007
Out Biking
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE! All the gear is gone, gone! Even sold "Grandpa" the 35 year old White's machine I was going to restore. I now am the very happy owner of a 2005 Kawasaki Concours Sport-Touring motorcycle. I joined the international Concours Owners Group and already have participated in several rides. Being on two wheels has been in my blood for as long as I can remember and 38 years doing it with a motor. Now when I want to enjoy my hobby, I won't need permission, permits or need to check ordinances, laws to make sure all is well before having fun. Happy hunting to you all!

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
don't sell all your machines, you will just end up buying another one when you see that really sweet spot.14 yr detecting, you cant stop, you have changed your DNA.

OP
OP
Fourwayz

Fourwayz

Jun 18, 2007
Out Biking
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Tom, thanks for letting me know that after 14 years of hunting and finding cool stuff that I am doing it wrong. I would LOVE for you to give it a swing here in my neck of the woods for six months! Thanks again for your expert observation and summation of the hunting atmosphere here... from over 3,000 miles away! Happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread