What's new

"I" for "imposter"?

burglarifyoulike

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2008
Messages
476
Reaction score
57
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
"I" for "imposter"?

I was very excited, obviously, after the fisrt cleaning revealed the "I" on thie front, but disappointed when there was no backmark. Do these authentic buttons always have a backmark, and did they make repros way back when? This was found in udisturbed ground at 4+ inches. Thanks for your input.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0812.webp
    DSCN0812.webp
    48.1 KB · Views: 477
  • DSCN0813.webp
    DSCN0813.webp
    49.2 KB · Views: 460
Re: "I" for "imposter"?

I would say your button is legit. There were many instances of "Confederate locals" without any backmarks. Nice snag. :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Re: "I" for "imposter"?

"I" agree that this is a genuine piece--and a GREAT find! :hello2:
 
Upvote 0
Re: "I" for "imposter"?

thanks to all of you for your great help and diligence (savant) in response to my question. i honestly was afraid to think that it could be the "real" thing. Wow! i can't blieve it- my best find yet!
 
Upvote 0
Re: "I" for "imposter"?

Thats a great find,but as has already been said...Alot of nice repro,s were made in 60s for the CW centennial.
But the patina looks good,and in undisturbed soil..
The value is in the provenance,IE: a statement from You as to the recovery of the item,and documentation that there is a reason for it to be where it was found.Is it consistant with those used by units that camped,fought,or marched thru the area,or did CSA vet live on site.ETC
HH,Mont
 
Upvote 0
Re: "I" for "imposter"?

I was reading your post on Todays Finds and saw where you mentioned posting an infantry button here so I had to check it out. Very nice find and congratulations.
Chris
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom