I found a deal on a detector? Or maybe not? What do ya think of the Ace 250?

D

Darod

I found this on eBay today

I was curious what everyone thinks of this detector:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=505&item=4968573045&rd=1

Are these any good? Is this a good price?

I'm thinking of picking one of these up for my 9 and 6 year old sons ( there is a photo of my boys and family in the mug shot section). It looks like a light unit, I'm just not sure if it works.
I'd like to get them something decent to use. Not some all plastic junk for $40 or something, but a decent unit that will actually have tone id and find gold and coins. You all understand what I mean,....I want them to get excited by actually finding stuff :)

Any suggestions on what models are light for little guys and what units are decent for beginners.
Rod

Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Rod, crank it up and let it run! Most CZ's run at moderate sense and audio as well as other's do at max. Follow that ground balance setup and make it routine, second nature. After that I'd suggest setting sense around 6-7 and turn the audio up as loud as you can handle it. I usually run disc at 2 in dirt, 0-1 in sand & water. Depends on the site your hunting and what you're finding! Have fun and keep us up to date!

OP
OP
D

Darod

THanks for the help Lowbatts. I took the CZ out for a test drive today. Sweet machine!
Found lots of clad, about $3.50 or so. All newer stuff but definately fun to find :) I did notice that it likes to signal rusty nails like coins? Have I got something set wrong on it?

WOW! what a step up from the 1280 X! I do beleive I am going ot enjoy this baby :)

Rod

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
As I said earlier, if you think its a nail falsing. You can usually tell very easily. The spot where the machine will sound off as you're swinging the coil will not be the same as the pinpoint indicates unless you are over a nail bed. As you swing the coil you will note where hte target sounds off. Going into pinpoint you will note the target is not where you are getting the signal from. Just about the only time a nail will be where your machine sounds off is when it has a good target co-located or nails made of other non-ferrous metals.

OP
OP
D

Darod

No completely sure I follow. Let my try to see.

Your saying that if I hit a nail and then try and pinpoint it, the pinpoint will show it off by an inch or more? I'll be honest with you, I still haven't been able to figure out the feal of the coil hit path. I'm trying, but it's no as easy to read as the 1280 X was. I am going to charge the batteries tonight and see if that might be the problem.

Any advice?

Rod

C

Copper

I didn't read all the posts and this may be just a repeat, but, I wouldn't buy a used machine unless I was going to save about 50% from discount prices online. Id' only buy from those with 100% positive ebay feedback (with a few exceptions).

Metal detector can be permanently damaged by being exposed to too much heat. A detector left in the car trunk on a hot summers day in Florida is not a good thing.

I only buy from online dealers with fast turnover or from honest ebay sellers (saving me 50%).

That's my two-bits worth.

Copper

OP
OP
D

Darod

All well said and all 100% correct!

I purchased one off eBay and I got it in less than 2 days. Works like a charm :) I'm very happy.

I agreed with everything you said and I got it for more than 50% off retail. I paid $500 total with shipping included. He threw in 2 books, NiMH rechargeable batteries, and a dive balance weight for the shaft. I think I did OK.

Thanks for your 2 cents :) they are worth much more than face value :)

Rod

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
If you've gotten good at pinpointing then you'll have a feel for the "spot" where your detector sounds off. Nails and other iron trash generally don't sound off in pinpoint at the same point where id mode locates them. Once you pinpoint the the target, see if it reads or id's exactly over the spot where you've pinpointed it. If it's falsing, it might signal as good away from the pp spot in a radial manner. Practice.

OP
OP
D

Darod

Lowbatts,

I worked with the CZ-20 for about 2 hours today. I'm starting to finally get the hang of it.

I'm leaving it in autotone to get the larger search field and then switching to tone ID to id the targets. It's working really nicely. Those darn beer cans are a pisser but I've been getting better at determining target size now as well. I figure I'll have the thing all mastered in about a week of casual detecting at lunch time. OH, almost forgot, I took it to the beach today and it did great! The 1280X would freak out on me when I put it in the saltwater (the coil). Everytime I would raise or lower the coil on the 1280X while it was in the surf, it would sound off and start to chatter at me. The CZ-20 just purred like a kitten :) Actually, it didn't make any sound at all, just like it's supposed to do :)

Rod

OP
OP
D

Darod

All I've been finding is clad so far but I'll post what else I get as soon as I find something worth while :)

Rod

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Well I hope when it does make a sound it makes the right sound Rod. Have fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread