I found a deal on a detector? Or maybe not? What do ya think of the Ace 250?

D

Darod

I found this on eBay today

I was curious what everyone thinks of this detector:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=505&item=4968573045&rd=1

Are these any good? Is this a good price?

I'm thinking of picking one of these up for my 9 and 6 year old sons ( there is a photo of my boys and family in the mug shot section). It looks like a light unit, I'm just not sure if it works.
I'd like to get them something decent to use. Not some all plastic junk for $40 or something, but a decent unit that will actually have tone id and find gold and coins. You all understand what I mean,....I want them to get excited by actually finding stuff :)

Any suggestions on what models are light for little guys and what units are decent for beginners.
Rod

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Darod

Re: I found a deal on a detector? Or maybe not? Input on this one Onion!

Thanks guys for the input. I'm trying to decide between the BH Tracker IV and the Garrett 250. It's a toss up. They both have their strong points and weak points. I'm going to be stopping by Kellyco's this weekend maybe and I'll see how they do with the boys swinging them in the store :)

I've gotta tell everyone, I'm kinda excited to have something my boys and I can do and all really like it :)

Thanks again for all the input.

Rod

PS: By the way, I just picked up a used Fisher CZ-20 on eBay for $500! What a deal! Can't wait to get it.

serb535

Sep 10, 2004
cleveland ohio
Detector(s) used
whites prizm III

i have a whites prizm III and am looking to upgrade soon i'm going to let my son use this one. he's 4 now so i have the same issue's , this unit is light wieght and whites make a "pee wee" rod kit for it for $10. he excited about it. he goes with me on most of my outings. just my input...serb

W

wodd

? ? ? I have been checking out the whites prizum ll , what does everyone feel about them. And they are very light and would run ya about $199 thru whites.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?WODD

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just a word of cution to anyone buying a used detector on ebay.

1: they come with no warranty (no matter what the sellers say) UNless it's "Brand New" direct from an athorized dealer.

2: You never know what you're getting for your money untill it arrives (and then it may be too late).

3: A guy I know on another fourm thought he would try and save some $$ and bought an Ex-cal 1000 for $550.00 but when it arrived, it was not the one pictured/stated on the auction and had serious problems (no bat charger- broken head phones and something wrong internally) to which he has to send it to Minelab for repair, and will not only cost him time w/o the machine but also, a few 100 bucks for the repair cost.

Just a heads up to use extreme caution when buying from anyone on there. ASK ALL questions 1st as to cond. problems, returns, seller guarantees, etc. and CHECK their FEEDBACK before bidding. If they have NEG feedback stating things like, seller took my $$, never answered emails, or, seller won't return calls, no returns, etc. SKIP it and LOOK else-where!

OP
OP
D

Darod

Lonewolfe,

Thanks for the input. I am sure that what you've said here will help out many that are going to venture into the eBay area. For myself, I happen to be a powerseller on eBay. I've been a member with eBay for 5 years and well,...I pretty much know the ropes when it comes to eBay buying and selling :)

Everything you said is exactly right, 100%. If I could add anything to your statements it would be that dealing with eBay requires "common sense" . The old saying that, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is", should be everyone's number one qualifying rule when it comes to purchasing an item on eBay. If the saying fits the listing your thinking of getting involved with,...you should NOT get involved in that particular listing.

Now, at times everything will look just great on a listing with no warning signals that it's a scam or that you should expect any type of trouble. In this case there is not much you can do. In my case I spend a lot of time working the sellers recent feedback. I contact the individuals he/she has sold to recently and find out how things went in their transaction with the seller.

One final note: NEVER MAKE A DEAL WITH ANYONE AS A SPIN OFF FROM LISTING. IF YOUR NOT PURCHASING THROUGH THE LISTING AND TRYING TO MAKE A DEAL DIRECTLY WITH THE PERSON, YOUR GONNA GET SCREWWED MORE OFTEN THEN NOT! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING USING WESTERN UNION AS PAYMENT. I SAY THIS BECAUSE WITH Western Union you have absolutely NO protection/insurance on receiving your purchased item. So be smart! Deal with sellers that have a established track record,.... Like me :) .

Good luck with the eBay thing everyone!

Thanks for all the input on this post everyone! :)

Rod

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Darod, I knew that!

I did a search of completed auctions for CZ20 and seen the buy it now of $500 from the guy with 13 feedback! That's what caused me to write the above!

You've got more confidence in low feedback/new sellers than I do!

I once used a BIN on an auction of $5 gold eagles (approx. 4 yrs ago for $350) for 10 pieces, the guy had a lot of feedback because he was running dutch style auctions but, he was still very new as a seller. Turns out, he had several auctions running selling 1000s of $5, $10, $25, and $50 gold eagles like there was a never ending supply! When all was said and done, he took 100s and 100s of people for a total of almost a 1/2 a million dollars in a 3 week span.

Needless to say, the FBI caught up to his butt in Chicago IL a few weeks later and made him refund as many people as possible (but) some of us weren't so lucky (inc. me) I lost my $350 and never heard xoxo since the last time the claims officer sent an email staing that people were being refunded on a basis of 1st to last according to the date you bought/won your auction BUT, he ran out of money before refunding everyone so, "that was that" and last I knew, he was serving 5 to 10 in a fed pen.

It was one of eBay worst cases of fruad for sure, some guys spent 10s of 1000s of dollars on buying like 50 $50 gold eagles never to see their gold OR their $$ again.

OP
OP
D

Darod

Yep.

Your right again. It happens to the best of us. Fraud is just that, a lie that costs us money.

To defend myself and my decision to purchase from this seller, let me say that I only went through with the deal because of the type of payment methods he accepts.

I purchased/paid through Paypal for the item. His Paypal account was in excellent standing with many verified transactions. So, I decided that by paying using Paypal services I have some protection to get my money back if things go bad.

Paypal does a great job of making sure the buyer and seller are all taken care of in terms of getting money back and making sure things are done correctly. As a seller I know first hand that a buyer can get their money back NO Problem using Paypal.

I was selling some overstock designer sunglasses about a year ago on eBay and an individual decided that they just didn't what the glasses they paid for. They filed a complaint (they were totally in the wrong on the complaint) and Paypal pulled their money aside and basically made the buyer mail the item back and then made me refund the money. I was mad BUT, I got the item back and resold it for more then before, and the buyer got their money back so we were both "basically" happy.

So, to make this story end just let me say that even though this seller that I got the detector from has only a few feedbacks, I'm not worried because of the protection I have with Paypal. THIS IS WHY I SAID THAT YOU SHOULD NEVER NEVER NEVER PAY USING WESTERN UNION OR BY MONEY ORDER or something like that, your totally at risk in those cases.

Thanks for the info and your option, I'm hearing everything your saying and I agree with everything your saying. We're alot alike actually,...in our thinking anyhow :)

Rod

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's all fine and good these days but, I lost my $$ before PP ever existed!

We think alike because- I too am a full time Plat. PS for 5+ yrs myself!

Will not post my ID here or anywhere though, there's too many "screw offs" that like to jerk sellers around IF they know your ID and get mad at you for any reason. I know the games people play if they disagree with something you say!

I personally don't do it myself but, I know a lot of other sellers who've posted their ID/s on forums before (even on ebay forums) and all of a sudden, they start getting fake bids from people who never pay, or that have fake ebay accounts/etc. It's bad enough with all the NON paying bidders you get from ebay itself (not to mention) the above!

How long have you been detecting?

I've been a solid 15 yrs but, started when I was a kid with my uncle many yrs before buying my own detector. Started in 1977 at about 14/15 and really got involved/serious in about 89/90

OP
OP
D

Darod

Well,

I've only been at it "physically" for about 2 months :-\

BUT, I've wanted to get into it for EVER! Does that count :)

You've made another good statement on the user ID stuff.

If you notice, I edited my previous post and removed my user ID. No reason to give anyone a chance to mess with me :)

Thanks,
Rod
By the way, we're about the same age if my math is correct. You didn't say where you live? what area?

Rod

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, you're going to LOVE that Fisher CZ20! It takes a minute to get the hang of em but, once you do, you'll find LOTS of stuff! They have 2 freq. which makes them better at ID'ing things and, they go DEEP! They also are built like tanks, and you can use them "rain or shine" or in the water or out! I've had one for approx. 5 yrs now and never had a prob. yet (knock on wood)!

OP
OP
D

Darod

Well,

I see also that they are lifetime warranty! Do you know if that warranty is directly tied to the unit or is it tied to the original buyer?

Rod

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher used to have a "Transferable" warranty Darod but, I'm not sure how they work these days. As I said, I bought mine like 5 yrs ago and that was before they had "lifetime" warranties. Mine came with a 5 yr I believe back then. Just give them a call and see!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Been using the CZ line since it came out some time ago. Could tell you more about the warranty features if I had ever had to take advantage of it. My CZ20 is old also and I'll stop somewhere short of saying I can drive a railroad spike into fresh cut timber with it but it is a tough box and you know that when you start using it. It is hands down the best all around metal detector because it is submersible, hip-mountable and is so easy to get up to speed on.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen Brother Lowbatts!

OP
OP
D

Darod

I'll check into the warranty question Lonewolfe, thx.

Lowbatts,

As far as the sturdy construction goes, I agree with you on the fisher design. I have a 1280X right now and that thing just feels like it means business when you pick it up. I see that the CZ-20 is basically the same design so I image it will feel the exact same! heavy duty!

I'm really looking forward to the added features it has over the 1280X! Mainly that tone ID feature :) and the dual freq!

Thanks guys,
ROD

OH, by the way, what do you guys think of the Ace 250 for my boys? Onion suggested a BH, go figure :) I'm considering the BH Tracker IV or the Ace 250? What do you guys think? ???

OP
OP
D

Darod

Actually,

I wouldn't mind finding a light machine that would work on the beach for them as well! You know, salt mineralization resistant. Any suggestions on that one?

Rod

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO I'd go with the 250 Darod (but that's just me). Personally, I'm not fond of a detector you can buy at "Radio shack". Also, I've used Garrett machines for a long time (10+ yrs) and have found some of my best coins with them. They're easy "turn on and go" detectors, light weight and I believe as I stated before, the 250 has the "Bell tone ID" which makes it easy (almost 100%) sure in ID'ing a coin below the coil. It rings like a telephone almost- when you scan a coin! Only large alum. or very large iron objects will fool you sometimes. Other than that, when that bell tone goes off-- you can almost bet 100% that there's a coin or ring under the coil!

P.S.

If you're trying to get all the features in one detector (salt elimination, etc.) you're going to have to step up in price and get a better detector than either one you're thinking about.

But for young kids, they start getting heavy, costly, bulky, etc.

May wanna think about where the little guys are going to be hunting the most.

OP
OP
D

Darod

You know, your right!

I'll stick with the 250 I beleive. Honestly, I think if we go to the beach I won't be able to keep them out of the surf swimming :)

I think I'll forget the whole beach hunting thing for them, at least for now.

Thanks for the advice and your opinion.

Rod

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Quite frankly I've never been a big fan of Garrett but only because of the RF noise level they put out that would chatter on most nearby detectors. Can't find one bad word about the ACE 250. It really looks like Garrett has hit a home run with design, features and price in a detector that fits entry-level price and the high side of the mid level operational features. But that's my take from reading posts not just from new people who have used it, but experienced people as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions