I found a deal on a detector? Or maybe not? What do ya think of the Ace 250?

D

Darod

I found this on eBay today

I was curious what everyone thinks of this detector:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=505&item=4968573045&rd=1

Are these any good? Is this a good price?

I'm thinking of picking one of these up for my 9 and 6 year old sons ( there is a photo of my boys and family in the mug shot section). It looks like a light unit, I'm just not sure if it works.
I'd like to get them something decent to use. Not some all plastic junk for $40 or something, but a decent unit that will actually have tone id and find gold and coins. You all understand what I mean,....I want them to get excited by actually finding stuff :)

Any suggestions on what models are light for little guys and what units are decent for beginners.
Rod

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I found a deal on a detector? Or maybe not?

Read Sellers Negative Feedback & avoid like the PLEAGUE :o

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
The United States of Texas

The old saying "You get what ya pay for" comes to mind here... ;)

My advice would be to stick with a name brand detector known for customer service and good products... While that detector may be cheap, what if something goes wrong with it, will the facotry stand behind it?

Get a low end Garrett or Fisher, or Whites... Can't go wrong... I'm pretty sure there are some Garretts in that price range too...

OP
OP
D

Darod

Ok guys,

How about the Ace 250 for my boys? I've heard good things about that one. What do you guys think of the Ace 250?

Rod

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

would probably be perfect. I'v been hearing alot of good things about them.

OP
OP
D

Darod

Don't mean to be a bother, but I'm just trying to be sure before I purchase. So, can you think of any other brands or models that would work for my little guys? Similar to the 250 in features?

Rod

okiepapa

Nov 25, 2004
Re: I found a deal on a detector? Or maybe not? Input on this one Onion!

Rod;
Stay away from the Treasure Hunter Machines, they are JUNK! 250 would work.
HH Gene

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado

I wou;d buy a BH Tracker IV before I bought that unit and it would save you $60.00 bucks

Onion

OP
OP
D

Darod

Thanks for the advice Gene.

Onion,

I thought about that myself. But, I'm unsure of the weight of the BH ? How heavy are they? My little guys are pretty young.

Rod

OP
OP
D

Darod

No kidding! I'll have to look into that for sure! Your doing quite well with yours so I know they'll find something.

Thanks buddy,

Rod

OP
OP
D

Darod

Hey everyone,

I went ahead and posted a mug shot of myself in the mug shot section. Thought I better just go ahead and do it, you know, get it over with. Now everyone can stick my face on every silly thing I say :)

Rod

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Hey Rod, here's what I did for te Lil' Lowbatts when she was a younger pup. Cut a lot of the old BH handle down and shortened the shaft, reveresed the control housing so it was facing down, that changed balance decidely so she could handle it. Told her to dig everything that beeped and let her use it in sand. She was a very patient digger and did well until she moved up.

One feature she wanted right off the bat as a young MD'er was pinpoint. Then every feature seemed to add up quickly in cost. Today you should be able to get some good features for your little guys. Rather than brand-specific, I would say look for weight, battery usage, turn-on and go features and pinpoint. GB, multi-tone and other big features might not be necessary for now. I would say look at Tesoro, Fisher, Garrett's and White's machines. Let the kids cut their detecting teeth on sand and other easy mediums before bringing them into the dirt. They have to develop an interest and letting them hit easy mediums first will do so.

Good luck and let us know what you do, worked out well for me, the girls are always willing to go play with Pops Lowbatts these days.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Darod said:
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? When I click on your First Post I see (Direct_usa) a 98% rating? ALOT of Negative Feedback.? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?When I click on your first Link here I see NO rating, he's new.?would be a gamble. he may do good in order to get a good rating, or maby he's a one time Rip-off-artist, who changes his ID for each supposed sale.? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The 2nd. link here Seanpbs Looks A-1?, no fear there. but Kellyco would probably give you the same price with extras.? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Just My Opinion

OP
OP
D

Darod

I did. It didn't get that great of a review actually. Also, some of the key features are missing that you get in the 250. I know the boys won't be using the unit to it's full potential at first but I think with the 250 at least there will be some "growing" room in there for them :)

Thanks for the suggestion,.....what do you think of the 250? have you owned one or used one? I'm curious to know if the display might be a bit too busy for my boys. I could always just teach them to go by site and tone and ignore the display for the most part.

What do you guys think? ???

Rod

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

250 for sure. I believe it has the "Bell Tone" like the higher end Garretts which will alert them to good targets i.e. coins, toy cars, tokens, etc mostly, and as the one guy above said, take them to places that are easy to dig (in sand at playgrounds, schools, etc.). That's how I 1st got my son interested - (when they finds coins, toys etc. they get excited!) I started my son with an Ace series Garrett, and then up graded him to a 1000 GTAx at around 10 yrs old ;D

jeremiah212

Jan 23, 2005
kahnawake, Quebec Canada

i recommend a bounty hunter..
great machines, great customer service,very light and easy to handle,and you can get them at a great price..

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH

I got myself a 250 for Christmas and so far it seems great (haven't been out much yet since Ohio doesn't want to give up on the snow!) There are three tones that the unit will produce so you're covered there. It is amazingly light as well so that shouldn't be an issue. As far as using it, very easy. I have a 6 year old and he didn't have any problems giving it a whirl at the park once I got it turned on for him. He is just learning to read but didn't have any trouble identifying objects since there are little pictures there instead of words or numbers, nothing to really remember. He found two dimes and a nickel on his first outing and that's what the display said they were before we dug them up (some tabs too). In case you couldn't tell... I'm happy with it.

As a side note: I've only been detecting for about 4 years and until now I was using an old White's I had picked up from a garage sale, so I'm not real well versed in what all is out there. So far, I'm liking this one!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread