What's new

I found a Mint set medal...

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
1,305
Reaction score
11
Golden Thread
0
While hunting pennies, I found one of those penny-like medals that used to come with uncirculated mint sets. No year, of course, but the biggest mint mark you'll ever see! haha. From Philadelpia. Has anyone else found one of these? And do you know if they were struck on the same planchets as pennies? Not worth anything, but still neat. :)
 
Upvote 0
Yes they are kinda neat. I've got 3 or 4 of them over the past couple of years.
 
fiatboy said:
While hunting pennies, I found one of those penny-like medals that used to come with uncirculated mint sets. No year, of course, but the biggest mint mark you'll ever see! haha. From Philadelpia. Has anyone else found one of these? And do you know if they were struck on the same planchets as pennies? Not worth anything, but still neat. :)

I found one of those in 1996, and you're right FB, the biggest mintmark ever, I never thought of that (mine's a D). I did a little research and found that these insert "coins" were first included in sets in 1984. As to whether they're the same composition as pennies I don't know, but I'm tempted to take mine out of its 2x2 and weigh it!
 
They sound cool-

Does anyone have a picture?
 
Not sure what your talking about. Picture please.
 
Ok, I did a little searching, and found this picture. I know it's pretty lousy, but I couldn't find a better one. The "Mint Set Token" is the penny-like thing that's not a penny.

One has a D, the other has a P.
 

Attachments

  • unc_set.webp
    unc_set.webp
    9.2 KB · Views: 576

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom