Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since there is a known outbreak of bird flu where I normally go fishing, I opted to not get a license or go this year. That said, I have been detecting a LOT of fishing sinkers, and since I'll be back at the beach some after Labor Day, maybe before, I decided to sell them. I found a place new to me not far away that recycles metals and got $25.00 for them. It was a lot of sinkers. A lot.

Upvote 24

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead casting is relatively safe.Common sense,melt outside or with good ventilation,heavy gloves and take it from me,I learned the hard way,boots brothers,good work boots.A glob of lead on the top of the foot will provoke much cussing and hopping!:laughing7: Not likely to cause permanent damage,but will get your attention. The pyramid sinkers,when properly rigged will tend to dig in and hold in currents when fishing over sand or mud bottoms. You can make some good coin by simply reselling sinkers,go where people fish and lay them out at about half the price of tackle shops. Around here below the local dam people fish for catfish and snagging is legal.The rock riprap eats sinkers.In summer low water,people hunt the exposed rock and pick up 5 gallon buckets of sinkers and then sell them to the fishermen. Fooling with lead is a subject in itself,I cast bullets for a good many years and learned much more about lead and It,s alloys than I knew existed. I cast and tied jigs too,another subject that can lead to expenditure of spare funds for materials and molds,hooks and paint,etc. I was always on the lookout for lead in any usable form.Melt it,flux it,cast it into usable ingots. One thing,don,t use automobile batteries,there,s not that much usable lead in them and the melting and use of that lead is very toxic to humans and other living things. Read up on it,don,t do it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread