Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since there is a known outbreak of bird flu where I normally go fishing, I opted to not get a license or go this year. That said, I have been detecting a LOT of fishing sinkers, and since I'll be back at the beach some after Labor Day, maybe before, I decided to sell them. I found a place new to me not far away that recycles metals and got $25.00 for them. It was a lot of sinkers. A lot.

Upvote 24

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since there is a known outbreak of bird flu where I normally go fishing, I opted to not get a license or go this year. That said, I have been detecting a LOT of fishing sinkers, and since I'll be back at the beach some after Labor Day, maybe before, I decided to sell them. I found a place new to me not far away that recycles metals and got $25.00 for them. It was a lot of sinkers. A lot.
How much per pound?

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work Congratulations

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
older pic of some of mine
got over 500 lbs of them
I ill probably scrap them - but could make more money by melting them and making ingots
or re casting them into new sinkers - I have molds to make different shapes and sizes
can probably double my money if i want to take the time to remelt
full

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
older pic of some of mine
got over 500 lbs of them
I ill probably scrap them - but could make more money by melting them and making ingots
or re casting them into new sinkers - I have molds to make different shapes and sizes
can probably double my money if i want to take the time to remelt
full
That's an incredible amount of lead...!!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Get the lead out for sure. Yes, you can make more money recasting them, but that also costs money. I had thought about it, also thought about selling them as used sinkers. Maybe put a few baggies together and sell them where the fishermen are.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im a fisherman.....its my primary job.....I have so many sinkers its not even funny !! You guys wouldn't believe !! Metal detect in the fishing capital of the world, and you will find some lead...hundreds, and hundreds of pounds !!

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an incredible amount of lead...!!!

Wow! Get the lead out for sure. Yes, you can make more money recasting them, but that also costs money. I had thought about it, also thought about selling them as used sinkers. Maybe put a few baggies together and sell them where the fishermen are.
my father has smelter
we used to make musket balls and have molds for those
was doing a lot of ocean fishing yrs ago and we bought molds for pyramid sinkers and for the tear drop ones
also i have molds for dive weights which i would get more for also
my father has an ingot mold - so can melt and skim it and then sell as
"clean lead" which brings more than scrap - gun clubs will usually buy this to make bullet heads
for guys with small amounts not worth it

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im a fisherman.....its my primary job.....I have so many sinkers its not even funny !! You guys wouldn't believe !! Metal detect in the fishing capital of the world, and you will find some lead...hundreds, and hundreds of pounds !!
i have a spot in RI that if you dive down with mask you can pick up 100s - i want to go back to
its a bedrock bottom and has tons in every nook and cranny - you could probably pick up $50
worth in a few hrs - ive met guys in la. that dive and collect them around the big fishing piers
you can make some serious change - not to mention lures too

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread