I guess I cant complain, but I still will... ;-)

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to hit the east side today since I havent been there for quite a while.. Got there right at 7:30 and started hunting with this wonderful view...
10-29-10 hunting 1.jpg

The water was gin clear as you can tell here, and it didnt take me long to find an area that was showing some nice rocks and coral (always a good sign that sand has moved).. I was in chest deep water, so you can see just how clear it was.
10-29-10 hunting 2.jpg

Started picking up coins, and they were really worn/corroded, another sign of moving sand, since most of them were 4-6" deep..
Jewelry, and even tabs/caps were almost non-existent, so I kept moving up the beach until I got to this spot..
10-29-10 hunting 3.jpg
As you can see, lot's of sand moved, and rocks/coral everywhere!! I really became intent on searching every square inch of that area, and coins were popping up every few feet (even a couple pocket spills)...
Then, I hit a really good tone, and first scoop up I see a huge band in the bottom... "Oh please be heavy" I said to myself as I picked it out of the scoop... "Damn"... Light as a feather.. Titanium.. But hey, it's a ring, right??
About 30 minutes later, I get another deep tone and again, first scoop clears the hole... Lot's of rocks/coral in the scoop, so I started picking the biggest ones out so I could hopefully see what the target was... Another bright silver, BIG, mans band.. "Oh please, please, be Platinum or White Gold".... Again, light as a feather... "what the hell, ANOTHER Titanium band?? Sho nuff...
Although pulling up two rings and both being Titanium really sucks, at least I was finding something besides crap... I kept working that area and probably not 30 minutes after the 2nd ring, I get a high tone that sounded like silver... Hmm..
One scoop later, and there it lies in the scoop.. Another big mans band, and dark.. "Either Tungsten or Silver" I said, hoping it was silver...Cant see hallmarks unless I have a magnifying glass or loop, so it would have to wait till I got home...
10-29-10 rings.jpg
By this time, it is about noon, and I could tell that if I didnt quit then, I would suffer the next couple days, so I reluctantly left the spot..
As I am walking to the waters edge, I get a really high, pinging tone.. Wasnt quite the same as aluminum slaw, so I said the heck with it and proceeded to dig it.. Being close to the surfline, about 5 kids came rushing over to see what I was digging..
"Hmm, dog tag of some sort" and I just quickly dropped it into the pouch before the kids could tackle me to see what it was.. "Just garbage" I told them... I didnt look at it until I was cleaning my pouch at home, and this is what it was..
10-29-10 tag.jpg

My goodness, I have never found one of these before, and had I known it, I would have re-buried it a ways off the beach.. Why the heck would they toss the tag in with the ashes???? And why not take them back to their home which was obviously Jersey?? Gives me the willies..

Anyway, clad count for the day was...

15 quarters, 10 dimes, 9 nickels, and 43 pennies, for a total of $5.63... Not too bad..
One of the pennies is a 1953 D wheatie, and in really good shape!!
10-29-10 clad.jpg

The ring I was hoping was at least silver was stamped .925, and upon cleaning the rings and closer inspection, two of them are "Spinner" rings.. A first for me.. So that makes them somewhat more interesting than just plain old junk Titanium bands..
I also found two pairs of sunglases.. One cheap china pair, and a nice pair of Revo mens with rose lenses.. $200 glasses.. The frames were under salt too long, and the copper finish is flaking off, but the lenses are perfect.. Cant beat that.
10-29-10 sunglasses.jpg

This last pic shows the clad with the junk.. Not much garbage at all..
10-29-10 finds.jpg

Enjoy the pic's, and HH everyone! Oh, almost forgot... The big silver ring is a size 14!!!! It wont even fit my thumb, and I have large hands!
Must have belonged to an Ox of a man...

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its 45 degrees in Minnesota and just the pictures of the water make me green with envy. Sounds like you really had a great day.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SusanMN said:
Its 45 degrees in Minnesota and just the pictures of the water make me green with envy. Sounds like you really had a great day.
It was fabulous Susan... I had a 3mm half suit on and I had to keep dipping in the water to cool off... The gulf side is getting chilly, but the East side is still pretty warm...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics too and it made me wish I could be there again. About the ashes being let loose in the ocean, wonder if they dumped it into the wind and it blew back on them. :laughing7: Thats what I would want done with my ashes instead of spreading them on the ice on the driveway like I was told.

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
hey, nobody was lost,i think it was a snowbird that was brought back and given back with info,not ment to ever be found....but the ocean can be a strange keeper.... :drunken_smilie: some scatters ashes others drop the whole kit and kaboodle.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds and great pics!!! my water hunting is over up here and really appreciate any pics from you guys down there!!!!!!!!!!!!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
wow that is a good hunt. congrats on the rings. That silver looks very heavy too!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, first off, congrats on the rings. Yeah, not silver or gold but at least they're rings! Can't be too picky right now. :D

That cremation tag must have fallen off during the "deposit". Next time I was at that beach, I'd tie it to a rock and throw it as far out into the ocean as I can, that way another detectorist isn't likely to find it.

Picked up my Dual Field yesterday to replace my Sand Shark & Excal.

I'll let you know how I do!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Took Monday off, so I'm heading to the beach.

I will report back! :icon_thumleft:

D

digum smacks

wtg looks like a fun hunt.save that tag and when you head that way again take it with you.say a little prayer and for gold this time,and chunk it into the gulfstream.

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Silver Surfer said:
Decided to hit the east side today since I havent been there for quite a while.. Got there right at 7:30 and started hunting with this wonderful view...

The water was gin clear as you can tell here, and it didnt take me long to find an area that was showing some nice rocks and coral (always a good sign that sand has moved).. I was in chest deep water, so you can see just how clear it was.

Started picking up coins, and they were really worn/corroded, another sign of moving sand, since most of them were 4-6" deep..
Jewelry, and even tabs/caps were almost non-existent, so I kept moving up the beach until I got to this spot..

As you can see, lot's of sand moved, and rocks/coral everywhere!! I really became intent on searching every square inch of that area, and coins were popping up every few feet (even a couple pocket spills)...
Then, I hit a really good tone, and first scoop up I see a huge band in the bottom... "Oh please be heavy" I said to myself as I picked it out of the scoop... "Damn"... Light as a feather.. Titanium.. But hey, it's a ring, right??
About 30 minutes later, I get another deep tone and again, first scoop clears the hole... Lot's of rocks/coral in the scoop, so I started picking the biggest ones out so I could hopefully see what the target was... Another bright silver, BIG, mans band.. "Oh please, please, be Platinum or White Gold".... Again, light as a feather... "what the hell, ANOTHER Titanium band?? Sho nuff...
Although pulling up two rings and both being Titanium really sucks, at least I was finding something besides crap... I kept working that area and probably not 30 minutes after the 2nd ring, I get a high tone that sounded like silver... Hmm..
One scoop later, and there it lies in the scoop.. Another big mans band, and dark.. "Either Tungsten or Silver" I said, hoping it was silver...Cant see hallmarks unless I have a magnifying glass or loop, so it would have to wait till I got home...

By this time, it is about noon, and I could tell that if I didnt quit then, I would suffer the next couple days, so I reluctantly left the spot..
As I am walking to the waters edge, I get a really high, pinging tone.. Wasnt quite the same as aluminum slaw, so I said the heck with it and proceeded to dig it.. Being close to the surfline, about 5 kids came rushing over to see what I was digging..
"Hmm, dog tag of some sort" and I just quickly dropped it into the pouch before the kids could tackle me to see what it was.. "Just garbage" I told them... I didnt look at it until I was cleaning my pouch at home, and this is what it was..

My goodness, I have never found one of these before, and had I known it, I would have re-buried it a ways off the beach.. Why the heck would they toss the tag in with the ashes???? And why not take them back to their home which was obviously Jersey?? Gives me the willies..

Anyway, clad count for the day was...

15 quarters, 10 dimes, 9 nickels, and 43 pennies, for a total of $5.63... Not too bad..
One of the pennies is a 1953 D wheatie, and in really good shape!!

The ring I was hoping was at least silver was stamped .925, and upon cleaning the rings and closer inspection, two of them are "Spinner" rings.. A first for me.. So that makes them somewhat more interesting than just plain old junk Titanium bands..
I also found two pairs of sunglases.. One cheap china pair, and a nice pair of Revo mens with rose lenses.. $200 glasses.. The frames were under salt too long, and the copper finish is flaking off, but the lenses are perfect.. Cant beat that.

This last pic shows the clad with the junk.. Not much garbage at all..

Enjoy the pic's, and HH everyone! Oh, almost forgot... The big silver ring is a size 14!!!! It wont even fit my thumb, and I have large hands!
Must have belonged to an Ox of a man...

Those are some nice finds!! I'm glad I am not the only one that uses a bed pan hehehe!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread