I guess nobody in Maryland goes out in the winter.

kool361

Nov 19, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV
The ground has to be frozen for me not to want to go out. It seems as though there are not very many MDers in Maryland when compared to Virgina. I have to go through the Virginia site to find anything current. I would really like to try and do some CW relic hunting but everything in this state seems to be protected land. Is there anyone out there that has any good spots in VA or MD that they would be willing to take me to. I know that most folks like to keep their sites a secret but I was really fascinated with the Civil War when I was a kid and it would be great to get at least one chance to go out and search a site. So anyone out there listening give me a holler.

OP
OP
K

kool361

Nov 19, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV
I can understand the why they have the laws but wouldn't it nice if you could go to a site during certain times. Everything could be under supervision so people don't do any damage. I don't know about you but I don't go and destroy the land I mean I always fill in my holes. Whats so strange is it seems as though no one goes MDing here in Maryland.

don6545

Dec 12, 2008
Westminster md.
Detector(s) used
dfx
i tryed yesterday the ground was to wet it is suppose to rain for the next 3 or 4 days that will make it worse when it drys out ill try again lol

OP
OP
K

kool361

Nov 19, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV
I went out on my lunch break Monday and found some clad. Waiting for Saturday to come then I will have a full day just can't decide where to go.

Dual Hunter

Jan 18, 2009
Middle River MD.
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030. Xp deus.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i actually love the winter to hunt,no bugs less foliage ,i have a friend who grandfather owns a farm i believe he said is in Federalsburg,not sure if Maryland or VA.he is suppose to clear it for me to metal detect,its a cival war site i'm told?i've been looking towad Gettysburg for a farm to ask permission
Mark

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maryland hunter here. The ground was frozen last Saturday , could not go on my clubs hunt (out of Salisbury). Same at my house. I have been hard at detecting for a few years. What I have found is there are a few detectorist in MD and DE. The are friendly to an extent. They will talk with you about detecting, how to, what to look for, past finds. But ask about going to a place with them and you get the cold shoulder. usually they have a small 2 to 3 person group they go with, outsiders not welcome. Friendly, yes but don,t expext to join them. I really wanted to find someone to watch, especially how to get permission, my down fall. No luck. I guess I will go cold turkey this spring and just learn from my mistakes. By the way I am still looking for a hunting buddy, if anyone is interesting.

Ed D.
VP Shore Seekers Club
TNet Member

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
Hey Ed, definitely interested in getting together to hunt sometime. I'm not too shy about asking for permission either. I have a lot of spots in mind to try. I should be able to get out some (now that hunting season is over). Hopefully, the wife won't give me too much grief being I did a lot of hunting this year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread