I Guess You Can Call It Mudlarking... Lots Of Old Local Bottles

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. Been a while since I've posted anything. Not that I havnt been having a good year. Just figured that we've all seen mercs and silver jewelry posted a lot. So here is something different for me.

We've had a dry spell here for weeks and the river is very low. I took a nice walk down the river a few days back. Very first thing I found was a sad looking IPhone under the bridge. It's the first phone I've found so I was happy with that.

I was finding bits and pieces of broken glass. There is a Val Blats piece (center) Bromo-Seltzer blue piece (front left) and a thick piece that says Mil Wi (middle left) Also two telephone insulators that are nearly complete. One has partial patent date of dec 19 1871. I only find small chunks of these.

After a while I came across the small ponds milk glass jar and brown jar next to each other. Looked further down the bank and saw the large milk glass jar not too far away.

Next was the heartbreaker American Soda Water Co. from Milwaukee (middle rear) Hoping to find a complete one I kept going. Near a fallen break wall I found the Bright Spot Bottling Co. Milwaukee on the bank (right rear) Was very happy with that and about to call it a day.

Was washing it off in the water when I see another complete in the water right in front of me. It's a Sanitary Soda Water Co. from West Allis Wi. (rear left) So I grabbed that one and started washing it off too. Then again I see another complete one. Its the coke bottle. Not terribly old as the label was not embossed but cool none the less to have 3 completes so quickly.

Satified with my finds for the day I snapped this group shot on the fallen break wall. Sorry for the qualitly, I had to use my front facing camera.

20210617_163113.jpg

And here they are all cleaned up. The green one I found on the way out. Not sure what it is. Believe it says 5c at the top. Any ideas?

20210620_114035_Film2.jpg

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you find treasure where ever and however you can. Happy father's day everyone!

Upvote 21

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!! Happy Father's Day!!!

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The December 19th 1871 insulator was made by Hemingray Glass Co of Muncie, Indiana. From 1870 to the 1890s when it's thought it was replaced by the Hemingray No.9. They go for $10 in aqua up to $3000 for the more exotic colors like purple and olive green.
https://reference.insulators.info/patents/detail/?patent=U122015
more info on the patent for Robert Hemingray's insulator press. Using internal threads was a new idea in 1865 as the early insulators had no threads and would often fall off the poles. There are various patents for methods of forming the threads. The main one was in 1865. Then others looked for ways around it. The concept of an Insulator itself for use on telegraph lines to prevent loss of current was actually invented by Ezra Cornell the founder of Cornell university.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Jewlerguy for the id. You nailed it. Also didnt know they were made in Milwaukee. Very cool.

To RatherBeDigging, Thanks for the history lesson. I didn't know there were other colors than aqua. I'll have to keep a look out for other colors. I do believe the other one I found says No.9 on it. I'll have to check. Thanks and happy hunting.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!! Happy Father's Day!!!

always like those coke bottles good find

Good stuff! Old bottles are great, if they could only talk!

Very nice bottles,and a stroke of luck too in your three completes in one spot!Way to go!

Nice Finds!!

Thanks everyone. I had a blast finding so many. It was pretty unexpected to be honest. Well we have had a few good storms the last few days and the water has gone up significantly. It may be a while before I can get back in there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread