I HATE RACCOONS !!!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, killing every raccoon that goes on the property isn't the answer. Do a better job of protecting whatever you're trying to protect from the raccons and you won't have to kill anything. Bottom line, spend some money to keep the predators out instead of killing creatures that are just looking to survive in this world. This sort of senseless killing of animals is why so many people despise hunters and trappers.
I'm not fencing my last property Aquisition. You want to pay to fence over 10 acres though ; c'mon over. Racoons will still enter and exit , as will other critters.

Coyote crosses or climbs a fence in my yard I'll kill it given the chance.
Hate me all you want.
Coyote in range on my other property given the chance will kill also. Period.
Hate away.
Tonight I will close doors on this house despite it being a footprint animals once upon a time could walk on.
I hear coyote after dark (pups and den time of year they're pretty quiet) the "coyote watch" sign goes up on the rear door access to double barrier but coyote defeatable territory I defend.
I don't give a rats butt who don't like dead coyotes. I've no use for them.
And live in a state the federal government "protects" wolves in. Is the federal government protecting coyotes from wolves? Why not?
Is the federal government in it's Isle Royale wolf/moose experiment protecting moose? Why not?

But we musn't intervene with predators .
I disagree. Strongly.
Tell me why people not responsible for how I care for stock should dictate how I defend it from predation? And why shouldn't such be defended.

Go ahead and fence and /or protect the coyote and moose calf in these videos.

Take a wild guess what I will think of hunter and trapper haters should a wolf cross a fence or border of mine while only "looking" at a dog of mine ?
Or how much I'll care about who thinks wolves need protection on my property.

A man posts he has a coon problem he has a coon problem.
They ate not arriving at his sight because the live in a utopia beyond.
Young of the year as well as last year are dispersing. It's a law of nature.
We add ten people to your home but not groceries to feed ten more and guess what? Someone is either going to start scrounging near , or die. Period.
Habitat has a point it can no longer sustain life. And that is long after desired edibles are gone.

When trapping paid , we trapped more.
When prices crashed in the late seventies racoons were only one species that saw populations soar.
Guess what? Local pheasant numbers were decimated! Fox. Coon. Possum. Crunch crunch crunch went pheasant eggs. Then hen pheasants on nests.
But yeah , hunting and trapping should be hated. Nature does just fine without humans involved.
Oh wait....Animals don't live under your homes concrete? Ooops. What should we do about you displacing them? Hate someone else for not welcoming them on thier property?

Not sure your logic of protect what it is you want to protect solves anything.
But plan one at least an acre to fence here to prove your point.
Don't forget , the top needs covered in wire too.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You give hunters and trappers a bad rep with your hatred (and fear) of animals just trying to survive in this world. You're taking it personally, which is wrong. They're just doing what they need to do to survive and feed their young.

You're taking the easy (and cheap) way out of the situation. Spend some money and protect your livestock from predators instead of killing everything that may be a threat to them. If you can't afford to do that, you shouldn't be allowed to have livestock in the first place.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no cougars in Maryland.
There is probably cougars in most states, Here in Ohio A few years back a guy had a pet cougar. It got lose and in a couple days it came back to the owners place and ATTACKED HIM!! Someone shot and killed it why it was attacking the owner. Maybe 10 to 20 years abo A person had farm type zolo with caged Lions, Tigers, Cougars and Bears, He was a demented person and Turned them ALL LOSE and then killed him self. I think the law shot and killed like 15 to 30 of them !!!

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I trapped raccoon for 35 years and made good money on it. Quite a few of the coon were caught on my property. But when I only got $3 for extra large hides, I quit trapping. Now those coon are killing my chickens. There is only one way to deal with them. Also, rat traps are very effective for catching those nasty chipmunks that eat my blueberries and strawberries.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I trapped raccoon for 35 years and made good money on it. Quite a few of the coon were caught on my property. But when I only got $3 for extra large hides, I quit trapping. Now those coon are killing my chickens. There is only one way to deal with them. Also, rat traps are very effective for catching those nasty chipmunks that eat my blueberries and strawberries.
I have more trouble with turtles eating up my berries. Time to kill them, too, I guess.

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You give hunters and trappers a bad rep with your hatred (and fear) of animals just trying to survive in this world. You're taking it personally, which is wrong. They're just doing what they need to do to survive and feed their young.

You're taking the easy (and cheap) way out of the situation. Spend some money and protect your livestock from predators instead of killing everything that may be a threat to them. If you can't afford to do that, you shouldn't be allowed to have livestock in the first place.
With your simplistic attitude, I assume that you do not, or never have, lived on a farm.. Easy for someone to say just protect your livestock by spending money and fencing.. Fencing does not work entirely.. It may discourage some, but the determined ones will get in; most especially if there is a reward [chickens] on the other side.

And you have obviously never seen the carnage that results when a coon, or mink, gets into a chicken coop.. I have!!!! Out of 50 hens, I had 17 left.. and this was in one night.., The coon just killed them for the fun[?] of it.. certainly not to take to their young.. if you wish to anthropomorphize them.

Every raccoon that comes onto my farm, dies..If I see it that is.. When I lived up country, coyotes were a real problem as well.. I have seen a pack take down a 3 month old herford calf...The 'yotes were on my list as well..

Live in the city if you wish.. enjoy yourself.. But you cannot judge us who have the desire to farm, raise our own food, and not put chemicals in our bodies.. We know what is in our food; and more importantly, what is Not in the food.

Micheal

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing simplisitic about it. You protect your animals, period. You do that by giving them shelter from danger, not by killing every creature that walks onto your property. If you cannot afford to do that, do not have animals as pets or as livestock. No excuses. What part of that don't you understand?

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tim can you PLEASE explain to us THEN WHY our DNR has helicopetrs flying around dropping Poison bait to kill the raccoons ? I think you should try farming and such.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr Roberts you MADE A FANTASTIC posting thank you

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing simplisitic about it. You protect your animals, period. You do that by giving them shelter from danger, not by killing every creature that walks onto your property. If you cannot afford to do that, do not have animals as pets or as livestock. No excuses. What part of that don't you understand?
Hey Tim.. I had a working cattle ranch in Texas for over 15 years, and yes, I occasionally lost a calf to coyotes. But, to me, that was to be expected. There was no way for me to police 1500 acres, so the bovine and wild critters had to work it out. Dropping poison is an irresponsible method of control as it enters the poison into the food chain, killing unintended critters, such as the vultures, etc. that would feast upon a dead poisoned critter. I remember a severe drought we had where most of the water supplies were dry, and the ranchers were asked to keep their water troughs full to help the wild critters. I was happy to do that, and occasionally, it would look like the Last Supper around them, with creatures that ordinarily would be adversaries, stood side-by-side enjoying a cool drink together. It was an amazing thing to witness.

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you [obviously] do not, and it appears never did, live on a farm, you have no right to judge us who do live that way.Again.. you have a very simplistic attitude.. And I understand that you appear to have only experienced one aspect .. maybe in time you will learn what it means to know where your food comes from, what it means to care for animals that are your pets.. You obviously did not read, or chose to ignore, the part I wrote about the raccoon that killed the bulk of my chickens in one night..

I can afford to keep horses, and turkeys, chickens, dogs, etc, etc.. But I am not going to ignore threats to them

Same thing as me NOT judging you for living in a city.. And believe me, there are many things wrong with that in my opinion..But I cannot judge you since I do not know your situation.. For me, there is not enough money to make me live in a city..

However, enjoy your life.. detect or do as you wish.. I will do the same with mine..

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Since you [obviously] do not, and it appears never did, live on a farm, you have no right to judge us who do live that way.Again.. you have a very simplistic attitude.. And I understand that you appear to have only experienced one aspect .. maybe in time you will learn what it means to know where your food comes from, what it means to care for animals that are your pets.. You obviously did not read, or chose to ignore, the part I wrote about the raccoon that killed the bulk of my chickens in one night..

I can afford to keep horses, and turkeys, chickens, dogs, etc, etc.. But I am not going to ignore threats to them

Same thing as me NOT judging you for living in a city.. And believe me, there are many things wrong with that in my opinion..But I cannot judge you since I do not know your situation.. For me, there is not enough money to make me live in a city..

However, enjoy your life.. detect or do as you wish.. I will do the same with mine..
Believe it or not, I had the bulk of my Pilgrim Geese killed by some angry eagles. That wasn't a pretty sight.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line in OHIO You are by law allowed to trap or shoot raccoons on your property if they are causing a problem, but you can not relocate them off your property, you can shoot or euthanize them.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
2 1/2 yrs ago I fenced 1 acre, graduated page wire 8ft. 3 steel ground cloth buries a foot in the ground.
Been fighting the coon and porcupines ever since.
Just spent another $400 on electric fencing, tilled a 5 ft bare patch around the exterior, ran 3 separate strands, and have the forth.
Finally the 4500 volts has deterred the coon and we got strawberries, 27.5 Qrts. today.

One can spend $1000's of dollars on fencing, to protect the animals, but if another wants yours it's a matter of time, it's getting it somehow.
Many folks use fly bait/Coke-problem is that will kill everything that comes in contact with it.
Tried to trap it in a live trap, went in, kept it's ass out the door, so that was useless and a waste of cat food.

City telling rural how to live-love it.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
this dry weather has some folks watering the ground rods for thier electric fences. Range has decreased severely. Or fence simply quit for some who didn't water..
( Disclaimer. Yes shut of power and deenergize system before adding water to ground rods
. Just in case someone doesn't understand water and electricity can cause you to get electrocuted.)

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
This part.
Yes I've raised hogs without escapees. I've also seen thier strength.
And pet owners dumping pets used to happen on a farm I rented.No ,no pigs there. But where do they come from in Texas? And when were hogs introduced hundreds of years go ever eliminated from North America?

You could save some hogs by going to Texas and educating farmers about how to fence hogs out.
I'd even applaud you after you solved the hog issue nationwide! Then you could start on the coyote problem. Ect, and so on until racoon.
You neglected to tell me how to protect my stock from racoon pee or poop or of course racoons.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
this dry weather has some folks watering the ground rods for thier electric fences. Range has decreased severely. Or fence simply quit for some who didn't water..
( Disclaimer. Yes shut of power and deenergize system before adding water to ground rods
. Just in case someone doesn't understand water and electricity can cause you to get electrocuted.)
I have a grounding plate, buried 4ft down.
I still will dump 30-50 gallons in the corner to keep it moist.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread