Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Population of 10K
That's of our whole township of 280 sq.miles.
So you live in a small city.

Wrong. We have a grand total of three traffic lights in town, one bar, one liquor store and a small grocery store. That's not a city, that's a small rural town. The 10k population is divided between North Scituate and Hope, which is really another town completely. Half of our town is protected wilderness owned by the Providence Water Supply Board, so they'll never build a Home Depot, Walmart of any other large store here. I live in the boonies, period.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well Tim me thinks you might want to look into this a tad more.
§ 177-4
Discharge near residences.
[Added 9-10-1990 by Ord. No. 90-9-10]
A.
Notwithstanding the fish and game laws of the State of Rhode Island, no
person, while hunting or pursuing wild birds or wild animals on the
mainland pursuant to this article, shall shoot or discharge any firearm
or other deadly weapon within 500 feet of any occupied dwelling, house,
residence or other building used in connection therewith without the
specific permission of the owner(s) or tenant(s) thereof.

So hypothetically if your house was 501 ft from the discharged gun, your call isn't going turn into a charge.
Even if the handler was right beside others and had their permission it seems that they have the legal right to shoot.

Then again it seems that the local enforcement doesn't do too much regarding discharging of guns.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, you're all wrong. While it's legal to shoot a raccoon in Rhode Island, you cannot fire any weapon within 500 feet of someone's property. That's why I would call the cops on them and that's why they would be fined or jailed for the offense.
Once again you are cherry picking data and declaring others falsely wrong.

Your states 500 ft. rule is my states 450 ft. rule. Control of urban deer was one reason such a law came into play. Smaller parcels makes shooting from the center a less desired concept that a longer course. Depending on weapon , load, background and more.
Nonhunters causing more harm than good trying to give overpopulated deer a santuary in a subdivision ect..
Occupied means what?
Permission means what?
We go through that all the time on permissions to hunt and blind placement locations for more permanent structures. When your line of fire is away from a neighbor ' a blind near a border/property line is a neighbor consideration thing. (though your ilk would likely protest you're being crowded. As if facing away from your property jeopodizes it. We have those typemhere too probably. I get one next door I guess I'll follow your example and call the cops .

And neighbors know where you are to be encountered and again by your shooting blinds placement by consensus. Which direction your are shooting. Heck time of hunts gets shared by some here.
Racoon breaks into a permanent hunting blind and decides it makes for a good outhouse the owner is not likely to bring it a pillow and cup of coco.

Have you any idea how many ways a racoon can be dispatched?
I'll certainly refer to your states wildlife regulations to clearly defining define "kill by any legal method"'. Not the hunting guide; but actual regulation.
But you may be assured I never put a bullet hole in a pelt destined for a fur buyer or my personal use.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
State in question is Ohio, not Rhode Island. Ohio law allows the discharge of a firearm on your own property as long as bullet does not enter someone else's residence, business, school or cemetery and it is also legal to shoot nuisance raccoons in Ohio.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been feeding a family of foxes behind my house. Trail cam showed one of the foxes with a baby racoon in its mouth. Coyotes eat them to. It seems here no matter how many of a specie you remove that is a nuisance nature will just fill the gap in again.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been feeding a family of foxes behind my house. Trail cam showed one of the foxes with a baby racoon in its mouth. Coyotes eat them to. It seems here no matter how many of a specie you remove that is a nuisance nature will just fill the gap in again.
There's been claim that persecuting coyote can increase litter sizes.
Food base would seem to factor more. With a lag if things taper off in a former prolific food chain.
But some critters like coyote are quite adaptable in what they can eat to survive if need be too.
A beef feed lot the only thing going on in the neighborhood being passed through? Coyote be alright. And mouse might be a year behind. Just a bonus snack for a future poop eating coyote.
Past the feed lot is more food to consume. Somewhere.

Dragged a road hit deer in the woods by the house after the fox vixen got hit on the road too.
(Multiple people watched that annual den site in an ag. field nearby for the new batch of pups each spring.)
To thier fortune the pups were old enough to join the male.
Heard him call them at night and they worked that deer a while.
I stayed clear till late summer and there were just bones left. No surprise. Some like rib ends had been chewed a bit.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
hunt-hunting.gif

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's ok to shoot them if you're wearing camouflage while doing so.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
State in question is Ohio, not Rhode Island. Ohio law allows the discharge of a firearm on your own property as long as bullet does not enter someone else's residence, business, school or cemetery and it is also legal to shoot nuisance raccoons in Ohio.

You missed the point. They were claiming that it was legal to shoot a raccoon in Rhode Island on a person's own property. It is legal, but you'd better not have a neighbor less than 500 feet away or you'll be fined or jailed.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then again it seems that the local enforcement doesn't do too much regarding discharging of guns.
They're probably aren't any homes within 500 feet of where they are shooting. Some residents in my town have farms that are 50 acres or more, so no neighbors close by.

And if I had a problem with a neighbor, I'd call the state police, not the town cops. Too much of a good old boys setup in this town.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Exactly. Shooting every raccoon on your property might eventually eliminate most of them in the area, but wht do you do when foxes, coyotes or a feral dog goes on your property? Shoot them all as well? The answer is to protect your animals with fencing and shelter. If you can't afford to do that, you shouldn't own any animals or livestock.

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly. Shooting every raccoon on your property might eventually eliminate most of them in the area, but wht do you do when foxes, coyotes or a feral dog goes on your property? Shoot them all as well? The answer is to protect your animals with fencing and shelter. If you can't afford to do that, you shouldn't own any animals or livestock.
fcra9xihgm431.jpg

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just can't accept the fact that I don't live in the city, can you? Well, here's a Google map of my area. What do you see? Woods and more woods! No congestion, no plats, no stores, nothing but woods! Do you see any strip malls? Home Depot? Wallyworld? Anything that remotely reminds anyone of the city? Of course not. I live in the country, period.

scituate.png

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep, that be woods alright. :occasion14:

Small towner here as well...population 800. No traffic lights, no malls, but there is one great pizza shop.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They're probably aren't any homes within 500 feet of where they are shooting. Some residents in my town have farms that are 50 acres or more, so no neighbors close by.

And if I had a problem with a neighbor, I'd call the state police, not the town cops. Too much of a good old boys setup in this town.
"Probably" Now there's a good word-yet the facts show that there are 4 other residences within 500 ft of that civic address.
Some "farms are 50 acres or more" yet the google backs up your claim of "Woods and more woods! No congestion, no plats, no stores, nothing but woods!"
(Must be tree farming)
Looking at the you live in a place that basically everyone is close proximity (217 per sq mile)
(My area is 83 per sq mile, and we say it's crowded)

So basically you live in a high density rural town environment, you only have 2 traffic lights.
(Yet I have to drive 20/30/45 minutes to find one)
It's all perspective on what is rural living-or the new world of having a lot that backs onto conservation area. Meaning trees and not another yard.
But farms Tim is a stretch as if there were farms nobody would be having the speed dial at a finger's touch.

I was visiting a permission yesterday over yonder (900 acre) came up on the couple while they were doing some fencing.
Great meet up, weather, timing for the haying.
Then bang.
"Sounded like a .22-yup-probably a coon-yup."
"We see them walking across the fields-but none in the barn lately"
"Oh we take care of them real quick-make a mess of the feed"

This is rural living a shot is of concerning as a fart-nobody really pays no mind.
I guess folks just mind their own business and don't have the speed dial mentality.
When I get the coon messing with my berries-guaranteed it's dead and buried.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, beating a dead horse. I guess everyone has a different perspective of what's considered out the boonies! Whenever I try to sell anything on Craigslist, most people refuse to come and look at the item because I live too far from their home and "out in the country". Of course, "too far" to them is 15 miles! It's a Rhode Island thing, I guess...

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got an escape artist. He lays on his back and pulls the spring door latch forward then pushes the door open. Smart little sucker. He's the last (I think) of the Coon Clan that I've relocated. All within the State Wildlife laws and guidelines.

Attachments

• VD_00034.mov
    14.5 MB
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread