What's new

I hate to get my hopes up, but...

burglarifyoulike

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2008
Messages
476
Reaction score
57
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I found this a few hours ago in a cornfield that I was detecting because I recently found out that my husband's grandmother was born in a house that sat there until the 1980's. I have no idea how old the house was, I just thought it would be fun to find relics belonging to my husbands great grandparents. I was shocked to find this! Just as I pulled it out (basically on the surface) my husband's cousin, who joined me to see if she would like MDing, was getting out of her car, and I said, " I may have found the best thing I've ever found!" Anyway, I couldn't wait to get home to post it, and obviously haven't cleaned it (I'm afraid to), but would appreciate your knowlegeable replies. I will post some other odds and ends after they are cleaned a bit. Thanks for looking!
 

Attachments

  • DSCN1075.webp
    DSCN1075.webp
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,066
  • DSCN1076.webp
    DSCN1076.webp
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,050
Upvote 0
better pictures, thanks to ringfinder! Thanks to all for your replies! Oh, i think plehbah is right- someone in the family probably lost this after CW times. I don't think there was any CW action in our area.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN1084.webp
    DSCN1084.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 494
  • DSCN1085.webp
    DSCN1085.webp
    33.4 KB · Views: 490
If you do decide to clean it use rain water or spring water. The chemicals in tap water will turn it red. I found out the hard way on my buckle. awesome find. Tex
 
what part of the country are u in
 
Iron Patch said:
gemee said:
I'm curious about something; Why wee so mnay belt buckles lost back in this time frame? Being female, I just do not get it.


I think it just seems like a lot because you don't notice the 1,000 of us that didn't find one today, last week, last month, or even last year. :)

well it they seem to be more common than you think... 2 in a matter of a few days...
 
gemee said:
I'm curious about something; Why wee so mnay belt buckles lost back in this time frame? Being female, I just do not get it.


its because the tang/latch/hook part usually breaks off... or bends...

and there aren't many belt buckles worth posting about except in the civil war time frame.
 
what part of the country are u in


south/central PA. thanks, TexJim on the cleaning tip- that would be shocking to have it turn red! We have a well, so thankfully, it didn't damage it- I cleaned it before i read your post.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom