What's new

I have a question on interchandgeability of enfield v springefield

Tigerdude

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2016
Messages
433
Reaction score
1,177
Golden Thread
0
Location
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding the 58 cailiber, did or could you fire a slick enfield bullet in a springefield musket and did or could you fire a typical 3 ringer in an enfield rifle.
 
Upvote 0
I think if it fit in barrel they would use them.
 
Define Springfield musket..
A rifled Enfield runs about .577.
Springfield smoothbore musket run about .69.
Springfield rifled musket run about .58.
So ,you could run an .577 Enfield bullet in a .58 rifled Springfield no problem( in theory , would want to be sure weight and design are "normal" for use ,and not some oddball.)

As to typical 3-ringer ,we need size of the three ringer. Could a three ringer be used in an Enfield. Sure if it fits. Better if hollow based. The skirt on a hollow based minie type bullet flared on firing to take up slop (within reason) and seal the breech gasses to propel bullet. An oversized bullet would be a pain to load while deforming it.(Snug is one thing ,too tight is another) Worse with a fouled bore. Solid base were not as convenient to load in a fouled bore. And required a good/stout charge under it to upset the base enough to avoid blowby.

Only my 2 cents.
 
Yes . I’m talking oranges to oranges. .57 enfield bullet, .58 3 ringer bullet. Both guns rifled.
 
Yes . I’m talking oranges to oranges. .57 enfield bullet, .58 3 ringer bullet. Both guns rifled.

In this aspect , I would say 'Yes' then.
 
Well done gents. :headbang:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom