SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi stamp lovers,

Well, I'm not a stamp guy really. But I was recently cleaning out my Dad's house, and came across a box of my late Grandmothers old letters. These date from the 19 teens, to the mid 1970's. Most are 1920's, 30's, and 40's era post marks. There are hundreds of letters, and most have at least one stamp still attached to them, some have as many as five stamps. There are even quite a few German stamps, as she would correspond with the family back where they came from. I'm debating whether I should let the kids steam the stamps off, and stick them in an album, or keep them intact as pieces of family history. The question I'm posing to you is, whether or not I may be hurting their value much either way. I don't expect they are worth much to begin with, but I know little to nothing about stamps, and I remember hearing that they are often worth more if left attached to old envelopes. I have no intention of selling any of it either way, but still, why destroy value if not necessary?

Thanks for any advice you may have.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the '70's we steamed or soaked them in water then used hinges to stick them into albums effectively stripping them of any value. We didn't know better. The most commonly accepted method today is to leave them on the envelopes. There will be very little value in stamps issued during the years you described. Some may have value, most will not. Look for errors in your collection while researching.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's no real value other than family history. Keep them intact.:skullflag:

OP
OP
SweepNbeep

SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for your advice. I'm going to keep some intact, and let the kids steam some off, because they are having fun with it and what difference does it make? I researched some of them, and yes, practically worthless. Worthless, but still COOL.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may wish to first post pics of those you intend to steam off.
Someone here may pipe it and tell you one or more should not be steamed off; and then give a reason.
Don......

Especially if you find a couple with upside down airplanes.

Berton

May 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the value of your stamps is not very big, however,please add some photos of your collection, mb you have some rare stamps.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Set aside any envelop that has a cachet (image) on the envelop; like this one:
6a01157147ecba970c01543222d94e970c-500wi

An envelop with a cachet may have value notwithstanding an otherwise worthless stamp.
Don.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread