Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out for a short hunt at a local beach this morning with the GB pro and honestly I had to laugh when I dug this from the wet sand. I told my wife that it would be easy to make one. Well I guess someone did. Lots of fishing going on close by and I think someone made it while he was making sinkers. Who ever did it he did a good job because it looks just like the one they found on Oak island. IMG_0844.JPG

Upvote 42

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you were using a CTX3030 you could compare your signals with Gary Drayton...

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I know for sure because the patina is all wrong for an old find.

Someone having a laugh.

Lots of water does different things to lead. Even different lakes give different results. I wouldn't rule anything out. I have never seen Oak Island so I have no idea what anyone is referring to.

OP
OP
Hawks88

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pa-dirt Nc-sand sorry was using a gold bug pro.

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a real bobby-dazzler, you must have thought you were on candid camera.

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know man, I think you have something there. I would get it checked out for sure. That is crazy. I can't imagine someone taking the time to make that and then throw it away as a joke. And it looks like it has been in the water for a long time. The oak island one was found last year. Definitely get that checked out

heartslayer2001

Oct 17, 2006
long prairie,mn
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, BOUNTY HUNTER 101
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
niagra falls ? could be history there, who knows could have been a guy on a ship that dropped it, alot of stuff went on out east so check some records on the spot you found it. hey could be a cave close by. lol

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hawks88 - Hey, if you want more replies from the members, you need to work this thread like the folks at the History Channel.

For example, "The recovery of a mysterious crucifix of unknown origin tells the team they are ever closer to being renewed for another season - I mean - closer to recovering a fantastic treasure. And what about this strange crucifix of an unknown metal? Could it be another clue leading to the treasure? Could it be from the Knights Templar, and if so, does it mean that the treasure is nearby, and if so, will more clues be found, and if so, will these clues lead to more clues, sort of like clues to clues? If the crucifix was lost by the Knights Templar, where did they obtain it? Did the Knights Templar obtain the crucifix from pirates, and if so, did the crucifix eventually end up with aliens from outer space. If so, perhaps the aliens dropped the crucifix from their space ship in the Niagara Falls area upon leaving the planet Earth."

Now that's how you write up a find - History Channel Style! Opportunity only knocks once. Is Hollywood calling?

OP
OP
Hawks88

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver tree chaser that is funny. I said from the beginning that I think it’s fake and I still do. No intention of trying to be on tv or writing a book or anything else. Im simply showing what I found on a beach in a small town between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. It was in the water. It was down about 6 inches in the sand. But I still think someone was just trying to have a laugh by making one and tossing it in the water and waiting to see where it goes from there. I’ve hunted that beach for a few years now and I’ve met a lot locals that walk the beach everyday. Maybe someday someone will ask if I ever found a cross. That’s when I will know how it got there. I dint think it would ever garner this much attention. Stay tuned...............

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
they could BOTH be fakes....what better way to validate the Oak Island find than to "find" another not all that far away along a possible water route...perhaps we should wait for "more" to be found.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hawks88 - I think you might have something special, but I just couldn't pass on all the references to the Oak Island Treasure television show without making my own contribution. Public interest in the show and similar programs is a bit sad, as many who watch the show undoubtedly believe it to be factual. It’s not — it’s a TV show with producers, writers, and so forth. It’s entertainment (barely) but nothing more. I don’t believe your cross has anything to do with the Oak Island find as presented in the show and certainly not as a joke. But you perhaps have a great find with an identification more appropriate to the place of recovery. :icon_thumleft: Please see the provided image of religious objects recovered from Mohawk sites, including crude crucifixes, from a detailed study written back in 1988. I found a Native American animal effigy last year made of lead, which I identified through the same study. These objects were made of both lead and pewter, and the specimen in 9C below has a hole just like your find with an equally rough shape.

Untitled.png

Also, lead artifacts recovered from a water site does not acquire any patina unlike those dug from dry land. All things considered, I believe you have a rarely recovered find, a lead crucifix dating to the mid-1600s with a connection to Jesuit missionaries. Please see the provided link (pages 25 & 26).

http://nysarchaeology.org/download/nysaa/bulletin/number_096.pdf

This identification is based on research, studies, and facts. I would certainly prefer this identification over anything connected to some TV unreality-show. Congrats on what I believe is a great find. :notworthy:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of water does different things to lead. Even different lakes give different results. I wouldn't rule anything out. I have never seen Oak Island so I have no idea what anyone is referring to.
Its not just the patina, its the way its been constructed is all wrong. The casting is bad & the hole normally made by a square nail is cast!

OP
OP
Hawks88

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver tree chaser. I want to thank you for all of your research on the lead cross. I agree that this theory about the mohawks is more logical than the tv series OI. I may take it to our museum here near Niagara on the lake. Thanks again.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still say the odds are better that its real.than it being a hoax .Let us know what the museum says :)

Last edited:

3whiterag

Tenderfoot
Apr 9, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver tree chaser. I want to thank you for all of your research on the lead cross. I agree that this theory about the mohawks is more logical than the tv series OI. I may take it to our museum here near Niagara on the lake. Thanks again.

I would contact a local University and see if they have an Archeological Department, Perhaps the University of Toronto or McMaster University or Brock University. As you said on the phone, don't leave it with anybody until you know if you can trust them.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any new info on the cross???

s2ndjetli

Apr 25, 2018
Summit County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welp now its off to a Eurarcanus for you, There are TWO structures on the wall, who knows, you may have found the 2nd one.. Nice find.. fpwriting ack45.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread