What's new

I just picked up 38 Ike dollars

paulg287

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 20, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I read some places that anything 1971-1976 are silver.

Others say only "S" mint marks are silver.

Im confused.... ???

I have 38 Ikes total and 13 that are from 72, 74 and 71.

Which ones do I keep? :icon_scratch: :help:
 
Upvote 0
40% silver Ikes will have an S mintmark and be proofs and mint strikes. And I believe that after a certain year, there are some S mintmark proofs that are clad as well.

You can easily spot the silver Ikes, in that the rims will look just like 40% silver Kennedy halves.

I own some 40%ers that I purchased, and the rims don't look anything like the clad, even more so than Kennedy 40%ers vs. clad Kennedy halves.

Jim
 
Here is some more info for you-
All of the silver "Ike" coins were minted at the San Francisco Mint in 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1976. These coins were either uncirculated or proof. Uncirculated coins came in cellophane with a blue plastic token in a blue envelope. Proof issues came in a proof set-like plastic case in a fancy brown wood colored box with a gold seal on back. The uncirculated coins are referred to as 'Blue Ikes' and the proofs as 'Brown Ikes'. Coins minted in 1975 and 1976 for the Bicentennial come with the quarter and the half dollar of that year. The uncirculated coins were sold by the Mint for three dollars; the proof version for ten dollars. Two varieties of the dollar were produced in 1976 and can be distinguished by the thickness of the lettering

plus what jim4silver said.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom