I know what it is,but ,Whats ....UPDATE!

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got ahold of a locksmith on my cell phone . He only works from his truck . I explained what I had . He said his minimum service fee was $25.00 - I told him that was a little too much and I would continue to try to pick it myself . 5 minutes later he called back . He asked my location . I was in town getting ready to medal detect an old field where people walk their dogs . He was there in 3 minutes ! He looked it over , went to the back of his truck and pulled out a huge ring of flat keys . The 5th one he tried worked ! He said '' no charge ''

Washington Quarters- 1963 , 1965
Canadian Quarters - 1965 , 1963 , 1967
Roosevelt Dimes -1946 , 1960 , and two 1964
nickle -1946
Wheat - 1961D , 1941 , 1964 , 1959(two)
Canadian pennies - 1941 , 1940

The new quarter I put in a few weeks ago to see if it worked . Sorry for the delay , the big storm we had Monday has made this week pretty hecktic , the National Guard still has alot of roadblocks up everywhere - massive flooding , trees across roads , etc.

Attachments

• Picture 002 (2).jpg
    Picture 002 (2).jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 616
  • Picture 004 (3).jpg
    Picture 004 (3).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 563
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 578

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I know what it is,but ,Whats ....

Some good suggestions here. Aside from finding a key, I'd say a locksmith is your best bet. Of course, if the bank itself is worth that much it would be better not to destroy it. Especially if it only has wheat pennies inside. Might be gold or silver in there though...you never know.

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250

sorry can't help with the lock...except crack that sucker....but the words on the back mention that it will register nickels, dimes and quarters. Does it have any indicators that will tell you how much is in there? I imagine that when it is opened, the indicators clear but could be wrong. Let us know.

Funkman

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

COUNTRY GIRL said:
Cool find! Did you get it New Hampshire?
I got it in Maine . New H. is just a stones throw away!

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Dodad

Dec 8, 2006
Gore, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites Prizm IV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Sometimes with simple locks you can use two small allen wrenchs. The L shaped type. I use one to move the key pins and one to turn the set. Another thing I have found that works sometimes is to flatten a nail and put a bend in it as you try to turn the lock work it back towards you. Some times this works. I have also used hair barretts with wide flat backs. Hope one of these will help you to unlock your bank and retrieve the prize.

Upvote 0

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar

Hold crud ! ! Got enough keys there ? ? ;D
Cool money box, obviously try not to damage it, maybe the locksmith would be worthwhile.
We're all dying to know what's in it ;)

Good luck

Upvote 0

twister

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2005
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hurryyyyyyy :) the suspense is killing me, lol

I love things like this, gets the blood pumpin

HH Twister

Upvote 0

vhskip

Greenie
Jan 14, 2007
Woodbridge, VA
Detector(s) used
DFX, White's 6000 Di Pro

See what happens if you insert a paper clip into the little round hole. Could be a way to release the lock. Bet the Lock Smith will try that. There's some reason for that little hole.

Think about the door knobs on bedroom doors where you use a pin to unlock the door.

Skip

Upvote 0

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

take it to your local locksmith or send to to me at:

www.chippewavalleylockandkey.com

we can make a key for it for you
all my information is in my web site if you want to call me

Upvote 0

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE

Use a screwdriver on the opening on the bottom, gently, but firmly (I mean, use some muscle), pry the door open that you are supposed to get the coins out of. The lock will pop right off the door itself(it's only held on with little metal tabs), and then, after you end the suspense and let us all know what's in it, you can put the lock back on the door by bending the tabs back into place. I am not sure the lock is "pickable" I'm not an expert, but I have popped a few locks in my time.

Trust me, I know, I bought one almost identical to it at a yard sale last summer(mines red), because it had coins in it. 2-3 dimes and a few nickels and pennies, all newer.

Upvote 0

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yeh, run it over to the locksmith if you want to keep the bank.
Get a key made.

And, open that sucker so we can see what's inside.

Upvote 0

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty said:
Take two paper clips. Bend the end of one 180 degrees until it forms a long skinny U shape and make the U about the diameter of the round part of the keyhole. Insert the U end into the round part of the keyhole and apply steady turning pressure. Straighten out the other paper clip and rake the slot part of the keyhole or bottom part with the straightened paperclip while turning the other paper clip in the hole. You will feel the little pins being bushed up and down and when it lines up just right it will pop open. Usually takes less than 30 seconds! An old trick taught me by a pretty darn good burglar. Monty

that procedure will not work for this type of lock.

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

If you don't want to take it to a locksmith. You can purchase a lock-pick set from Snap-on, MAC or Matco Tools. Then look up lock picking instructions and use the specific instructions for that type of lock. Saturate the lock with silicone lube spray or WD-40. Sometimes it takes a few hours for a novice. At one time I worked with a locksmith and I often saw him pick locks.

Upvote 0

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lockman434 said:
Monty said:
Take two paper clips. Bend the end of one 180 degrees until it forms a long skinny U shape and make the U about the diameter of the round part of the keyhole. Insert the U end into the round part of the keyhole and apply steady turning pressure. Straighten out the other paper clip and rake the slot part of the keyhole or bottom part with the straightened paperclip while turning the other paper clip in the hole. You will feel the little pins being bushed up and down and when it lines up just right it will pop open. Usually takes less than 30 seconds! An old trick taught me by a pretty darn good burglar. Monty

that procedure will not work for this type of lock.

Quite right. This lock deosn't have pins. Notice the Skeleton type key on the example.

The key has to move/push a mechanism inside.

Aw heck, smash it open. The coins inside are worth way more than the bank.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread