I know what it is,but ,Whats ....UPDATE!

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got ahold of a locksmith on my cell phone . He only works from his truck . I explained what I had . He said his minimum service fee was $25.00 - I told him that was a little too much and I would continue to try to pick it myself . 5 minutes later he called back . He asked my location . I was in town getting ready to medal detect an old field where people walk their dogs . He was there in 3 minutes ! He looked it over , went to the back of his truck and pulled out a huge ring of flat keys . The 5th one he tried worked ! He said '' no charge ''

Washington Quarters- 1963 , 1965
Canadian Quarters - 1965 , 1963 , 1967
Roosevelt Dimes -1946 , 1960 , and two 1964
nickle -1946
Wheat - 1961D , 1941 , 1964 , 1959(two)
Canadian pennies - 1941 , 1940

The new quarter I put in a few weeks ago to see if it worked . Sorry for the delay , the big storm we had Monday has made this week pretty hecktic , the National Guard still has alot of roadblocks up everywhere - massive flooding , trees across roads , etc.

Attachments

• Picture 002 (2).jpg
    Picture 002 (2).jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 616
  • Picture 004 (3).jpg
    Picture 004 (3).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 563
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 578

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: I know what it is,but ,Whats ....

Looks similar to paper towel dispenser lock,,,or even a lock in some of my small display cases...

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

Good deal on the bank. I'd be twisting up paper clips (and losing sleep) trying to get it open. The mechanism on those take very little pressure to unlock... you can do it! :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

Dang it, eveybody has lost the key to these things... I've been looking at the closed listings too, trying to find a picture of the key, to see if it would help. The only ones I see with a key appear to be slightly different bank models... but the keys are surely generic for a lot of these. I hope you find more than Heraldo found in Al Capone's vault! :)

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not sure if this will work with that type lock
Put one of the keys in that fit.
Tap it a few times & try to turn it.

Upvote 0

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Cool find! Did you get it New Hampshire? I'd be up all night trying to pick her open too. Small piece of wire or heavy paper clip, wiggle and turn, it should pop eventually. Hate to get to excited and break it. Can't wait to hear! Good luck, hope it's full of Mercs.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa said:
Not sure if this will work with that type lock
Put one of the keys in that fit.
Tap it a few times & try to turn it.
If that doesn't work,try filing on it a little here and there.The key that is.I lost the key to my old Torino years ago.I took a blank and filed it down to what I remember the grooves looking like and it eventually worked.

Upvote 0

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Its a fairly simple lock, I'd try what Ben said. Bend up a couple paper clips and try that.

kenb

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Small blade from a pocket knife might do the trick. Or keep trying the keys that fit until you get them positioned just right. The lock doesn't look all that tricky, but sometimes you have to hold your mouth just right....

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I got an gumball-type candy machine a few years ago. It takes quarters, so it's not THAT old. Took it to the locksmith. He said he'd open it for $10.00 and make keys for $25 (MUCH more sophisticated lock than yours).

I paid to get keys cut. I found $35 worth of quarters inside.

So... my advice is to take it to the locksmith... It will be worth a few bucks to get it open.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II

You need a hairpin or other flat steel equivelent. Bend a 90 degree tip on it the length from the center of the lock to the end of the slot. You should be able to rotate that around until you feel the catch release. it's similar to picking handcuff locks.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Fill it with water. Plug the holes with modeling clay. Then freeze it. Pop that sucker open like a steamed clam.

I'd try the locksmith provided he did it where I could watch. Not that I don't trust them in general. Just an "accidentally" dropped coin or two may occur on his bench.

Upvote 0

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If it were mine, I would have already broken it open with a screwdriver and hammer! Filling it with water and freezing it may work, but I wouldn't have the patients for all that. Just insert a screwdriver and whack it good with a hammer, that should do the trick.

Great Find / Night Stalker

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Take two paper clips. Bend the end of one 180 degrees until it forms a long skinny U shape and make the U about the diameter of the round part of the keyhole. Insert the U end into the round part of the keyhole and apply steady turning pressure. Straighten out the other paper clip and rake the slot part of the keyhole or bottom part with the straightened paperclip while turning the other paper clip in the hole. You will feel the little pins being bushed up and down and when it lines up just right it will pop open. Usually takes less than 30 seconds! An old trick taught me by a pretty darn good burglar. Monty

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Monty said:
Take two paper clips. Bend the end of one 180 degrees until it forms a long skinny U shape and make the U about the diameter of the round part of the keyhole. Insert the U end into the round part of the keyhole and apply steady turning pressure. Straighten out the other paper clip and rake the slot part of the keyhole or bottom part with the straightened paperclip while turning the other paper clip in the hole. You will feel the little pins being bushed up and down and when it lines up just right it will pop open. Usually takes less than 30 seconds! An old trick taught me by a pretty darn good burglar. Monty

Cop training... awesome! :D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread