I live in Florida, bought a metal detector where do I hunt?

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I used to work for Kellyco Metal Detectors years ago and that was the standard question. Schools for the most part are fenced off, most parks now require a permit to hunt them or only modern coins can be found. I was surfing on the Internet and BEHOLD, I found a list of ghost towns in Florida.
Here is the URL: List of Ghost Towns in Florida with Latitude/Longitude: use on Google to pull up location. List of ghost towns in Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. On some there is this symbol ~ so I tried to find Kismet - Lake ~29°2.5'N ~81°37.5'W and it wouldn't go anywhere until I removed the ~ and then it went to the site. Those ^ symbols will alphabetize those columns. I checked several sites I was aware of and most were dead accurate except for Ethel. Ethel Road is within the Wekiva State Park system. But many of the old ghost town sites are still out in the sticks. Please go to the courthouse tax office and locate the current owner before venturing out to these locations. Some of those "good ole boys" usually shoot first and ask questions later, be forewarned. Good luck to you! 8-)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
got a book about Indiana?

OP
OP
FLauthor

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Did you look on eBay for clues? A few books on Indiana Forts, numerous County Plat maps and Old county maps of Indiana from 19th Century to 1900's detailing ghost towns, pioneer homes, Post Offices, stage lines, ferry crossings, ect. Just put browser on item and it will zoom so you can scan the map and maybe pick out something interesting. All you need is the Range, Township, Section number and parcel to locate current owner at County Tax office to gain permission to hunt site. Also click on map and save it on computer so you can zoom the map and maybe spot something of interest. Join a local Historical Society and become their Field Rep. Most members are little old ladies and having a guy who can find stuff to add to their museum is usually welcome. It will open doors for you.
Check this out on eBay: History of Indiana Infantry; History of Indiana Cavalry; History of Indiana Battery & History of Indiana Battery; History of Indiana Indian wars: most books are available through Inter-Library loan, all you need is the ISBN number usually found on eBay listing. You have 2 weeks to read and write down notes.
Ghost_towns_in_Indiana: Google: Category:Ghost towns in Indiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Click on a town; copy the Latitude/Longitude and Google it for exact location of ghost town.
i.e.: Anita is located at 39°25′33″N 86°11′29″W: looks like its in a corn field. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread