I made the 1700s coin club!! 1/2 Reale!!

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made the 1700's coin club!! 1/2 Reale!!

:headbang::headbang: I am a member of the 1700's coin club baby!!!:hello2::headbang: This was literally my 2nd signal of a short 2 hour hunt. First signal was a beer bottle cap. My ATPro gave off a solid coin hit at about 4 inches down. I dug my hole and saw a glint of silver pop out. I looked down and saw what looked like pillars and I knew...SPANISH silveR!:headbang: OH my goodness I was so happy. I took my phone camera out and shot a video, but my microphone is acting up so no audio! I will post that to youtube in a bit. Anyway. This is my oldest coin to date and my first Spanish Silver and my first 1700's coin. I am feeling like a :rocks::rocks:!!!!! Check out the blue toning this coin has. Amazing. IMG_3979.jpgIMG_3980.jpgIMG_3983.jpgIMG_3984.jpgIMG_3986.jpgIMG_3987.jpg

Upvote 28
Beautiful "as dug" pictures. Sometimes I value pictures of past finds, as much as the finds themselves. Good pictures bring back great memories. Welcome to the club. Great Coin! Congrats.

All I have wanted to find since I started detecting was a Spanish Silver coin. I am happy that i finally found one. It has taken almost 9 years to find one. If you can tell I am Super excited! Thanks guys....

Holy crap thats awesome! Way to go!

Very nice coin. Great condition. Can still remember the exact spot I found my first Spanish. Only problem is that now you have one....finding any other silver isn't quite as exciting as it used to be.....lol. Congrats and here's hoping you find more to go with it soon. HH

Is there a 1600s club? I guess if there was Bill D would be president. Congratulations on finding such a beautiful coin.

Welcome to the club!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

:headbang::headbang: I am a member of the 1700's coin club baby!!!:hello2::headbang: This was literally my 2nd signal of a short 2 hour hunt. First signal was a beer bottle cap. My ATPro gave off a solid coin hit at about 4 inches down. I dug my hole and saw a glint of silver pop out. I looked down and saw what looked like pillars and I knew...SPANISH silveR!:headbang: OH my goodness I was so happy. I took my phone camera out and shot a video, but my microphone is acting up so no audio! I will post that to youtube in a bit. Anyway. This is my oldest coin to date and my first Spanish Silver and my first 1700's coin. I am feeling like a :rocks::rocks:!!!!! Check out the blue toning this coin has. Amazing. View attachment 1001649View attachment 1001652View attachment 1001653View attachment 1001654View attachment 1001655View attachment 1001656

Great find and in great condition.

Nice one.
The first is the toughest. I expect your next will come quicker than you think.
Took me 5 years for my first, got 6 the next year.

Many congrats to you for breaking into the 1700s. That's definitely a huge milestone to achieve, and I can vividly remember when I did it 17 years ago with a coin I didn't even recognize at first. It was a mid-1700s shield type 1/2 reale that had a small glob of solder on one side where it had probably been used as a button at one time. And the detail was poor with no date so I didn't have a clue at first. And my 2nd was a worn 1773 Va halfpenny that I had thrown in my whatzit box and a friend happened to pick it up and ID it for me. What a green horn I was back in those days .... haha!

Is there a 1600s club? I guess if there was Bill D would be president. Congratulations on finding such a beautiful coin.

Jay - I'll defer on that one, but I'd definitely be interested in a 1500s club. I've dug 8 Elizabeth I hammered sixpences dating between 1563 and 1594, and 7 of them came from one site. I've also recovered 2 jettons from the 1580s. It's gonna be hard to go earlier than that, but I'll keep trying.

1500s2.JPG

Great score!

Thank you all for your comments. I've been in a slump with coins lately and to find this one will make up for that for several months. As I am typing this I start to think how was this lost? Well I can say that the spot I found it wasn't very far from the home of the First Spanish Governor of Mississippi Territory. With that being said I think there is enough evidence to conclude that either someone that was associated with him or maybe even the Governor may have dropped this coin. Heck i will never know. All I know is I am super excited to have found this. Just the pure age of the coin is enough to make me think about how life was in those days. Just woods...No buildings or roads...Makes you think.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back