What's new

i need a big boy detector

nleet22

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2014
Messages
82
Reaction score
162
Golden Thread
0
Location
lancaster pa
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 250, AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey yall, I have a garret ace 250...I started detecting two years ago and I was told that was a good starter..i detect every possible chance I get now and have saved 1000 bucks. im ready to take this hobby/lifestyle to the next level. what detector do u guys think is the best for the money I have to spend..i also need a pin pointer and big boy metal detecting outfit..maybe something with flames on it..just kidding(maybe) but seriously about the detector.
 
I love my AT Pro! It's paid for itself 3 times over in about a year.
I bought the 5x8 coil and the pro pointer.

Can't beat the set up for the price and it's water proof.

I'm sure you'll get a ton of recommendations on here.

Good Luck!
 
I seen they had a bundle with the AT pro. It caught my eye cuz I have a garret already...where can I see how it stands up next to the 250..like what more it can do...I don't want the same features and pay more.
 
I only have a couple suggestions. But they may not help much.

1.) Don't try to fit the detector to your 1000 bucks. Look around and decide what will work best "FOR YOU" in the environment(s) you will most likely be hunting.
2.) Make sure the detector fits you! What I mean by that is make sure you can live with the idiosyncrasies of the machine. Handle, weight, balance, and, (in my own opinion the most important), how the machine SOUNDS! I remember trying out one detector, (I'll leave the brand name off), but the actual sounds it made were EXTREMELY annoying to me!! I just couldn't stand the frequencies/pitch/tone! It literally set my teeth on edge after only a few minutes! Granted, that machine might have been the absolute best in finding things but if I had to listen to that sound all day, every day? It would drive me mad! LOL So, pay attention and try them out for a while. If you wince when you first turn it on, think about after listening to it for hours! :)
3.) Save as much of that money for other things like tools to make it more fun for you. This hobby can become "work" if one isn't careful.
4.) No matter which machine you ultimately choose. Make a commitment to yourself to learn EVERY nuance! You'll be much happier!

Hope that helps!
Best of luck!
 
I agree with Whadifind...

Here are some side beside comparisons.

Kellyco Metal Detector Comparison



The roll tone audio in pro mode is what really sets the two apart, it gives you a ton info. Also the target seperation is awesome in the trashy areas.

Hope this helps, and no I am not trying to sell you on the pro. Just trying to give you some help lol
 
The biggest thing going to the Pro is ... are you going in the water? If so I'd go for it in a heartbeat. I have the Ace 150 and rented a Pro for a week (And put about 80 hours on it in that week). If anything I found that I dug a LOT more trash. I believe because its just better at finding everything and you need to learn it. The pro mode "Sings" to you, the sounds are great in my opinion and I believe once you learn its songs you'll be better at discrimination. Also, for $550, you don't have to worry about coming in from the rain, falling in a pool etc. I was impressed, I would have bought it outright if I had the $ at the time and I will be getting one soon.

The slight weight increase is noticeable. Do NOT do 80+ hours in the first week unless you're a machine, my wrists and arms were killing me...work up to it.

Good luck and happy hunting!
 
I remember trying out one detector, (I'll leave the brand name off), but the actual sounds it made were EXTREMELY annoying to me!!

Taking a wild guess. Would that machine that you hate so much happen to be a Minelab?:laughing7:
 
Hey nleet22 - I will fall in with the guys on the AT-Pro - you can't beat the features for the price - It's just like any machine though - you need to learn your machine thoroughly. If you just itching to spend the 1K - I would seriously consider a Minelab E-trac - Many people are selling their E-trac's in good shape to upgrade to the CTX-3030 so you can find some really good deals on E-trac's right now. I would suggest that you contact Bart at Big Boy Hobbies by phone - he will give great package deals that he can't advertise - I have purchased several detectors from Bart and sent several friends to him - all are pleased with him. Happy hunting.
 
New Minelab Xterra 705 or a good used Etrac.........big boy detectors:thumbsup:.
 
If you're hunting civil war or other relics, Deus XP has been great! wireless headphones, durable, very light, very easy to learn to use and multiple types of modes for hunting in a variety of environments. I've used a Nautilus 2b, fisher f75 and a Tesoro tejon and the Deus is my favorite machine by far!
 
Dont forget to save a little money for a nice pin pointer garrett pro pointer is really good but not water proof .
 
I would recommend a White's Coinmaster GT with a Nel Hunter coil, as well as a Garrett Pro Pointer. Not only is the Coinmaster GT deep, but runs silently (except or all-metal), is very deep, (Hits a clad dime at 8-10 inches in my very mineralized soil), and has automatic ground tracking, a backlight, and a beach mode.

Just my two cents, I love mine, and I'm sure ou'll love it too. I graduated up to this from a Fisher F2 (a detector similar to the Ace 250).
 
Taking a wild guess. Would that machine that you hate so much happen to be a Minelab?:laughing7:

As a matter of fact, I don't think the Minelab existed back when I was choosing. ;)
 
hey yall, I have a garret ace 250..

As an aside, do you REALLY think you have COMPLETELY mastered the ACE yet? :)
You should, might be surprised.
 
If there is a club in your area you could check with them and maybe try different detectors out. Just a thought good luck and HH
 
I have an AT gold and love it, the AT Pro and the AT Gold are waterproof to 10 feet.
I prefer the 5X8 coil as it works well in trashy areas as well as regular sites.
what ever you pick, Garrett, minelab, whites, and many other companies make great detectors, how you want to detect
and where makes a difference.
 
You can spend a grand for a metal detector, but it will only be as good as the person using it. Practice is the key, in my opinion. I have found some amazing items with my Garrett Ace 250. You will be sorely disappointed if you plunk down a grand for a metal detector and still don't find much, due to a lack of practice or ability.

Also, real estate and metal detecting have the same three important things in common. It's all about location, location and location. The most expensive metal detector around won't be able to find coins if they're not there in the first place!
 
I don't have a MD yet but I'm going with the tesoro compadre with the 8" coil. Watched a ton of videos and I think it'll be the best for what I intend to use it for. So just research research research
 
I picked up the pro at the end of February. It took until July to really learn the pro mode and I'm still learning. Would like to pick up the gold someday just to see how much deeper it can go. It really does have a lot to do with location and experience in what you find. I've hunted next to people with etracs and smoked them. Not slamming the detector, its just about how its used
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom