Ok, I am going to chime in. For the money and because it is more of a natural transition, I would recommend an AT Pro, but then also get the smaller 5 x 8" coil for it.
The only thing that I have to say concerning the AT Pro and some of the more expensive detectors (e.g. CTX 3030, Deus) is that they will pick a few coins out that may be missed by the AT Pro, but when I had an AT Pro I was still able to find 90% of the coins and it is a very good detector.
I just sold my AT Pro to a man who had a lot of experience with the 250. From what I could tell, he had more of a learning curve going to a DD coil, then learning all the extra "bells and whistles" of the AT Pro. It took me about 3 hunts to learn from a concentric to a widescan coil, and now I am better for it.
So, I would ask myself: Would I save the $1000 plus a little more and hold out for an Deus or do I want to jump straight into another detector and have to save another $1000 because I will eventually get a high end detector anyway?
Someone said it best in an earlier reply that it is best to try a detector out before you buy. For example, I heared good things about the Fisher's. I was going to throw down $1000 for a F-75 almost two years ago. Earlier this past year, I traded for an F-4. Once I set it up it was a great detector, but I didn't like the coil shape or the graphics. In hindsight, I was glad I didn't purchase the F-75 based upon suggestions ONLY. Just buying a detector by word of mouth you could end up hating the sound or the graphics. A lot of people hate the bell tones of the AT Pro and 250, but I personally like it. A lot of people hate the sounds of some of the Minelabs (I thought that I would to), but I'm OK with it. I actually traveled to a club in another state and tried out the CTX before I bought mine. I was impressed by the feel and it felt lighter then I thought it would be.
One last thing, call or email the dealers on Treasurenet to get the best deal. I have bought from most of them, and they are all negotiable and have pluses in their own way. Price shop, essentially.