I need help identifying if this a M1917 Helmet.

Doughboy

Greenie
Aug 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

So I found this online, the only markings it has been said to have are the markings of ZE29. I'm new to the helmet world so I have no idea what that means.

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1854491

View attachment 1854492

So I found this online, the only markings it has been said to have are the markings of ZE29. I'm new to the helmet world so I have no idea what that means.

It's a US made WWI helmet aka M1917 helmet, the ZE proves that. See below post, where I have a lot of Information on these helmets.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/militaria-arms/288546-m1917-helmet.html

The ZE29 is the heat stamp marking for that particular batch of helmets.

Known Heat-Stamp Markings of WWI American M1917 Helmets:
(This list is based on what I have actually seen, more heat stamps might be out there)

UC
W? ?
XH
YJ
ZA
ZB
ZC
ZD
ZE
ZF
ZG
ZH
ZJ
ZL ?
ZM ?
ZN

Oh and my apologies.....Welcome to the forums, if you find or aquire additional helmets let me know and I'll help you ID them. I have about 20 helmets in my collection.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Doughboy

Greenie
Aug 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much. I haven't bought it yet, and the reason why because I didn't know if it was authentic. But since you have said the ZE proves it I think I will now. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you very much. I haven't bought it yet, and the reason why because I didn't know if it was authentic. But since you have said the ZE proves it I think I will now. Thank you.

What are they asking, you can PM the price. Doesn't look like a lot of paint if any is still there, then there is the missing liner and chin strap, then add in the dent. You'd be hard pressed to get me to offer $40.00 for it.

Disregard I saw the price online, not bad for the condition. If you get it, you can get a repro liner and chin strap and make a nice display out of it. If you wanted to, you could bang out the dent a little to make it less noticeable. There is no way of knowing if it occurred in service or after.

Or leave the dent and just make up a story of how a shell hit him, but he got lucky and it was a dud and he just ended up with a major headache.......LOL, just kidding.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get it cheap like ffuries said, $40 or less I'd pick it up. Repro liners and chinstraps are available as well as the correct color paint. It would be a fun restoration project and nice for display when it's done

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Doughboy

Greenie
Aug 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are they asking, you can PM the price. Doesn't look like a lot of paint if any is still there, then there is the missing liner and chin strap, then add in the dent. You'd be hard pressed to get me to offer $40.00 for it.

Disregard I saw the price online, not bad for the condition. If you get it, you can get a repro liner and chin strap and make a nice display out of it. If you wanted to, you could bang out the dent a little to make it less noticeable. There is no way of knowing if it occurred in service or after.

Or leave the dent and just make up a story of how a shell hit him, but he got lucky and it was a dud and he just ended up with a major headache.......LOL, just kidding.

So I wrote a reply. And it doesn't appear to have sent? Anyways I offered $30 as I thought that was fair. Also due to the guy saying he wanted it out of his hands so I just gave him a bit extra to seal the deal. Waiting on their response. I do like the dent, adds character to the helmet even if it did or didn't serve. I do plan on getting rid of the rust and getting a chin strap. But past the helmet itself I did find a old belt it seems. I'm not sure if it's real or not as it lacks any markings. https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-WW1-M19...211286?hash=item2aee929916:g:5BIAAOSwS3VfHcAU

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
So I wrote a reply. And it doesn't appear to have sent? Anyways I offered $30 as I thought that was fair. Also due to the guy saying he wanted it out of his hands so I just gave him a bit extra to seal the deal. Waiting on their response. I do like the dent, adds character to the helmet even if it did or didn't serve. I do plan on getting rid of the rust and getting a chin strap. But past the helmet itself I did find a old belt it seems. I'm not sure if it's real or not as it lacks any markings. https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-WW1-M19...211286?hash=item2aee929916:g:5BIAAOSwS3VfHcAU

My knowledge on web gear sucks to say the least. We have some members here that know more than me. That all said, your best bet for that would be to visit the US Militaria Forum.

Link to main page:

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?_fromLogout=1

Here's the section dealing with belts etc:

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/forum/160-belts-ref/

Reference area for belts:

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/forum/1162-cartridge-belts-ref/

Since you have an interest in US militaria, the linked site specializes in it, lots of good information to help you figure out what is good and what isn't and to get the questions you haven't even thought of yet answered.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Doughboy

Greenie
Aug 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My knowledge on web gear sucks to say the least. We have some members here that know more than me. That all said, your best bet for that would be to visit the US Militaria Forum.

Link to main page:

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?_fromLogout=1

Here's the section dealing with belts etc:

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/forum/160-belts-ref/

Reference area for belts:

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/forum/1162-cartridge-belts-ref/

Since you have an interest in US militaria, the linked site specializes in it, lots of good information to help you figure out what is good and what isn't and to get the questions you haven't even thought of yet answered.

I just bought the helm. Due to shipping it was a little over $40 but it's okay to me. Around the price you said. I put a few bids on other stuff earlier today. But again thank you for your help. Although for the helmet do you have any suggestions for getting off the rust?

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I just bought the helm. Due to shipping it was a little over $40 but it's okay to me. Around the price you said. I put a few bids on other stuff earlier today. But again thank you for your help. Although for the helmet do you have any suggestions for getting off the rust?

Make a new post under the militaria section (Link provided) of TNet when you get it and post close up pics of the shell and paint.

If it's confirmed it's already been scrubbed and is basically paintless, I would say to use oil and 4 ought steel wool (This is how I clean rusty guns). Afterwards use a carb cleaner or degreaser on it to check it out, then paint.

Militaria/Arms

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Soak it in rust remover, I'd use evaporust it works well and isn't caustic so it's safe to handle. Any left over paint I'd use some paint stripper on. Once it's clean you'l need to prime it, I'd say Rustoleum primer would work the best for it. As far as matching the paint, I think American helmets were dipped in paint and cured with heat, the texture was done by adding sawdust to the paint. I think you could probably get close to an original look with a sponge roller. Repro paint seem to be hard to find now :icon_scratch: and matching the paint color might be tricky. I'd start with an OD green and try mixing yellow and browns with it til you get close enough that you like it.

then do a little shopping and you will have a nice display helmet

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/british-wwii-brodie-helmet-replacement-liner

https://www.ebay.com/i/312774881204?chn=ps

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a little inspiration: This thing was a wreck when I got it, so far I've returned it to pretty close to its original look, and after some aging and knocking around I'm going to put a Stalingrad winter white camo on it.
g1.jpg g2.jpg g3.jpg

Good luck with the restoration, I'll be happy to try to answer any questions you may have and be sure to post some after pics

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a little inspiration: This thing was a wreck when I got it, so far I've returned it to pretty close to its original look, and after some aging and knocking around I'm going to put a Stalingrad winter white camo on it.
View attachment 1855132 View attachment 1855134 View attachment 1855135

Good luck with the restoration, I'll be happy to try to answer any questions you may have and be sure to post some after pics

M40? I've got a M40 Single Decal Heer/Wehrmact helmet. Need to find pictures of it.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
M35, it has the riveted vent hole and rolled edge.

Couldn't tell on my phone if the vent holes were rivets or pressed in (Rolled edge gave me 50/50 chance of being right). I also had a no decal M42 in mint condition, someone liked it more than me and walked off with it (When it was in storage).

My dad had a SS helmet, and some Nazi flags, which my mom threw away......she was born in Nazi occupied Holland and had a hate of the Nazi ideology and symbols.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Doughboy

Greenie
Aug 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak it in rust remover, I'd use evaporust it works well and isn't caustic so it's safe to handle. Any left over paint I'd use some paint stripper on. Once it's clean you'l need to prime it, I'd say Rustoleum primer would work the best for it. As far as matching the paint, I think American helmets were dipped in paint and cured with heat, the texture was done by adding sawdust to the paint. I think you could probably get close to an original look with a sponge roller. Repro paint seem to be hard to find now :icon_scratch: and matching the paint color might be tricky. I'd start with an OD green and try mixing yellow and browns with it til you get close enough that you like it.

then do a little shopping and you will have a nice display helmet

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/british-wwii-brodie-helmet-replacement-liner

https://www.ebay.com/i/312774881204?chn=ps

I was planning on using that rust removing gel stuff then sanding the rest off or getting steel wool. I'm not sure if I'ma keep the dent. To get a pristine helmet yeah id remove it but I like it in the pic, added character to it but I'll have to see it in person to decide. But for the color I already have a camouflage Rustoleum spray paint. I don't think it's the right color. Haven't got the helmet yet but I am prepping

Upvote 0

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a nice honest "dough boy" helmet. There's actually a Youtube video showing how to restore one of those.

Upvote 0

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was planning on using that rust removing gel stuff then sanding the rest off or getting steel wool. I'm not sure if I'ma keep the dent. To get a pristine helmet yeah id remove it but I like it in the pic, added character to it but I'll have to see it in person to decide. But for the color I already have a camouflage Rustoleum spray paint. I don't think it's the right color. Haven't got the helmet yet but I am prepping

If you're going to restore a helmet, you have to do it right, otherwise it'll look awful down the road. Wire brush takes off most of the rust, and then use fine sandpaper. Anything really coarse will scratch it, and it''ll take awhile to sand the scratches out. After fine sandpaper, use extra fine sandpaper until it's sanded smooth. Then find a correct paint on one of the many helmet restoration sites online. Correct paint is a must, because if you do not use correct paint, no one will want it in the case of a resale, and it would be historically inaccurate.

Upvote 0

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View attachment 1855132 View attachment 1855134 View attachment 1855135

That's outstanding! It looks very good, I'd (personally) leave it as is, maybe with a bit of aging. I had to clean up an authentic M42 that had fake winter camo. Turns out it had nice paint underneath. That said, I do like winter camos... just can't afford them.

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I haven't used the gel for rust very much but I've had good results when I did. Just be sure to have a can of acetone on hand to wipe it clean with. If you go to take out the dent, use a torch to heat the metal before you start hammering it out otherwise you might get cracks.

Small scratches from sanding can be filled with primer, but if you texture the paint with sawdust like the originals you won't really have to worry about them too much

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread