Screenshot_20231208-214409_1.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

That would be a spectacular find with considerable value if genuine. As per the links already provided, it would be a medallion rather than a coin and is reported with diameters from 34mm up to as much as 40mm. However, because of its impressive size and rarity, it has been heavily faked in modern times. I would be suspicious of it unless you actually dug it from the ground (or at least, more suspicious of it), although most of the fakes are easily determined as such.

Note that Florianus’ self-proclaimed Emperorship lasted for less than three months so his coinage was very limited. There are no known silver coins from his reign… only heavily debased ones as ‘billon’ containing about 5% silver with a silver wash coating. The same is true for the medallions, which were silver-washed billon. Usually you can see at least some traces of the underlaying coppery base metal where the silver coating has worn through and… again, I would be more suspicious if it doesn’t show those signs.

Hope it’s genuine, but you really need a professional opinion from closer examination.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
Aymen gh

Aymen gh

Dec 9, 2023
Tunisia
Detector(s) used
Makro nokta
Welcome to Tnet.

That would be a spectacular find with considerable value if genuine. As per the links already provided, it would be a medallion rather than a coin and is reported with diameters from 34mm up to as much as 40mm. However, because of its impressive size and rarity, it has been heavily faked in modern times. I would be suspicious of it unless you actually dug it from the ground (or at least, more suspicious of it), although most of the fakes are easily determined as such.

Note that Florianus’ self-proclaimed Emperorship lasted for less than three months so his coinage was very limited. There are no known silver coins from his reign… only heavily debased ones as ‘billon’ containing about 5% silver with a silver wash coating. The same is true for the medallions, which were silver-washed billon. Usually you can see at least some traces of the underlaying coppery base metal where the silver coating has worn through and… again, I would be more suspicious if it doesn’t show those signs.

Hope it’s genuine, but you really need a professional opinion from closer examination.
This is a coin I found in an archaeological site. Tunisia is known to many civilizations. I know that it is a Roman coin and I am certain that it is original and not counterfeit. I have a complete collection of Phoenician, Carthaginian, Roman and Byzantine coins in addition to the coins of the Ottoman Empire and the coins of the era of the kings of Tunisia in addition to some unknown coins.
Welcome to Tnet.

This is a coin I found in an archaeological site. Tunisia is known to many civilizations. I know that it is a Roman coin and I am certain that it is original and not counterfeit. I have a complete collection of Phoenician, Carthaginian, Roman and Byzantine coins in addition to the coins of the Ottoman Empire and the coins of the era of the kings of Tunisia in addition to some unknown coins.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aymen gh

Aymen gh

Dec 9, 2023
Tunisia
Detector(s) used
Makro nokta
defensive little fella aren't ya. :laughing9:
not just one rare coin but a bowl full , the new guys always have the best of luck.
not just one rare coin but a bowl full , the new guys always have the best of luck.
I'm not a fan of treasure hunting
I am an expert in technical signs and symbols that are only found in North Africa, the Mediterranean Basin, the Middle East and Europe
The rest of the world is not interested in this science

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like base metal bleed through at 10 o'clock

Anyone who is ignorant of something should not judge its owner badly. I am the one who found it. I live next door to a Roman archaeological site in Tunisia. It is one of the greatest publications. You can read its history even if you do not know anything about it. Do not assume anything without knowledge, because I am certain that it is an original coin and is awaiting the inspection report. About radiocarbon dating, the date of production

Bleed-through of base metal would potentially be a GOOD sign for authenticity (although the fakes may have it too). This is NOT a coin... it's a medallion, and authentic Roman examples were produced in base metal (low silver billon) with a silver-wash coating that is vulnerable to wear.

None of us would easily be able to vouch for authenticity from pictures alone but, if you dug it, that's strong support and a dug coin might well show the underlaying base metal through the silver coating.

Please re-read post #5.

Upvote 4

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see base metal and am called ignorant. Redcoat says base metal is good and you're all for it.
you only want to hear what is in your favor .what a joke .

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Aymen gh

Aymen gh

Dec 9, 2023
Tunisia
Detector(s) used
Makro nokta
I see base metal and am called ignorant. Redcoat says base metal is good and you're all for it.
I have a lot of interesting things Among them are the rarest and most expensive gold coins. The dinar currency of the Umayyad state was known, in addition to a variety of pure gold coins throughout the Islamic country from the time of the Caliphate until the Ottoman Empire. As I said, I am not a fan of treasure hunting or a fool who knows nothing

Upvote -1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread