Makro nokta
Screenshot_20231208-214409_1.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe calling people idiots ,ignorant and fools didn't sit well with the Mods?

It also seems to be not a great idea for a reputable forum to provide publicity to someone who is self-admittedly breaking his country's antiquity laws and is reluctant to provide details that might identify him or where he is making his finds.

Upvote 4

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
pepperj,
Yes, I saw that, thank you. It's sad he did not obey the rules. The six coins he posted are real and I would have enjoyed attempting to ID more; especially several larger coins that he showed sitting in a cup. The first coin he posted was pure eye-candy. If it were real, it would be worth a small fortune.
Best of the Season to you and yours.
Don.....

Upvote 3

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pepperj,
Yes, I saw that, thank you. It's sad he did not obey the rules. The six coins he posted are real and I would have enjoyed attempting to ID more; especially several larger coins that he showed sitting in a cup. The first coin he posted was pure eye-candy. If it were real, it would be worth a small fortune.
Best of the Season to you and yours.
Don.....
I know i said some stuff about believing what he was saying but IMO he kind of seemed like a troll, in the sense of "look what I have" but some of the stuff he was saying didn't seem to make sense, like a first offense could get him 5+ years in jail for 1 coin, second offense was 10 years etc., but then claiming without proof he had tons of stuff he liberated from an archeologic site ? In this age of high speed internet anyone can find pictures of anything and claim anything and it just kind of felt that way to me ..... that's why I was so sarcastic to him.
I have in fact dug a lot of Roman coins, never seen a coin come out of the ground like that, but if someone is inexperianced then people will beleave what they see... Am I alone thinking it strange that he had a coin that was worth tons of $$$ and he said he found a jar full of them ? but then wouldn't show us pictures ?
Just reading his posts wasn't finding them very legitimate .... just me..

Upvote 3

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
TORRERO,
Recall his original post was entitled "I need more info about this coin". He made no statement regarding its value nor did he ID the coin. Nor did he mention anything about he was attempting to sell the coin.

In fact, I ID-ed the coin and showed that a similar authentic coin sold for CHF (Swiss fracs) 120,000; (US$137,646).
The poster never had it authenticated and several of us said it could be counterfeit; only a professional could tell.

He mentioned he had a jar full of coins. Using the online interpretor, 'jar' could have meant 'container' or similar.
Actually, he did post a pic of a container of coins -but it was on another T-Net site. Perhaps he posted the container pic on the other site in inadvertance; an oversight, not paying attention.
Here's the site and the pic of the coins in a container:
(last pic in 7th message).

It's unfortunate that he was characterized as a charletan and maybe a thief when neither could be proven.
It's also unfortunate that (I don't believe) he was given a warning by the mods before being 'banished'.
I don't recall any other TNet member who was banned not first receiving one or more warnings.
Don in SoCal.

Upvote 1

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TORRERO,
Recall his original post was entitled "I need more info about this coin". He made no statement regarding its value nor did he ID the coin. Nor did he mention anything about he was attempting to sell the coin.

In fact, I ID-ed the coin and showed that a similar authentic coin sold for CHF (Swiss fracs) 120,000; (US$137,646).
The poster never had it authenticated and several of us said it could be counterfeit; only a professional could tell.

He mentioned he had a jar full of coins. Using the online interpretor, 'jar' could have meant 'container' or similar.
Actually, he did post a pic of a container of coins -but it was on another T-Net site. Perhaps he posted the container pic on the other site in inadvertance; an oversight, not paying attention.

It's unfortunate that he was characterized as a charletan and maybe a thief when neither could be proven.
It's also unfortunate that (I don't believe) he was given a warning by the mods before being 'banished'.
I don't recall any other TNet member who was banned not first receiving one or more warnings.
Don in SoCal.
The coins in the container have the oily bronze to them.
Meaning I really doubt that they were in the dirt/soils and he did give the impression that they were.

He stated things, then he then posted up in another thread the very thing he stated that were so not to be viewed type thing. Folks catch on pretty quick when all the facts don't stay aligned.

The very fact that he was rude to the membership, is a not grounds for them to get a warning as it was a multi post.
Writing something in sand script to hide one's slur is just that, in today's world it's easy to translate such script.

Know that this new member had your interest and once again your knowledge of the subject of IDing the coins was top shelf.

I have thought many time that there should be probationary period for new posters/members.
This might limit they interactions that seem to flare up when the older membership questions the recovery/item in the post.

Last edited:
Upvote 3

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TORRERO,

Don in SoCal.
Well, I never advocated to ban him, it did not come from me, that being said, your right, no one can say with certainty that he was or was not being legitimate But we have all been doing this for a while, How many times have you seen a possible $150,000 item pop up here out of the blue, If he had tons of stuff, how was it that that was the item he was asking about, Honestly I don't know where the truth lies, but there was a lot of stuff that he said that did not seem logical ? Its unfortunate that he was banned, I don't know why, so I'm with you on that..

Upvote 0

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TORRERO,

Don in SoCal.
I went to the link you posted and noticed that the original thread was not posted by this guy, but he simply dropped a post in the middle with a lot of pictures of stuff, like trying to take the wind out of the original poster... Stuff, that looked like it might actually be what people make for tourists.. a lot of posters mentioned the fact that the coins in the bucket looked "Bronzed" or something, not a natural looking patina for bronze or copper coins found in the ground after thousands of years ... also they were HUGE.. or so appeared to be... I dug a few Roman coins in Spain and only 4-5 really big early Roman coins, all the rest were the size of a nickel, or dime.. Non were that big, of course they were not Roman either... Seemed like he was continuing the pattern here..

Upvote 1

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked him if the coin/medalion was for sale to see if he was a common scammer attempting to sell counterfeits. He informed me that it wasn't for sale. He didn't even PM me in secret to try to sell it to me as most scammers would have done. I don't think this dude was bad, he simply didn't speak English and his intentions were lost in translation. Just my oppinion.

Upvote 2

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
UnderMiner,
I agree; but certain of our membership couldn't wait to jump on this guy with their prejudgement based on encoutering scammers here in the past--yet not really knowing squat about this guy. So now we're back to looking at a plethora of IHP and wheatie finds; most unfortunate.
Don in SoCal

Upvote 1

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of it appears to be Ottoman Turkish (different than modern Turkish).

Ottoman Turkish differs from modern Turkish in that it is written in Arabic script with many words from Arabic and Persian. Modern Turkish uses a Roman alphabet.

Resources for Learning Ottoman Turkish-Library of Congress

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread