I Need some advice on beach detecting.

Pa.Pete

Feb 6, 2010
My wife and I are taking the kids to Disney in March we will also be staying on Melbourne beach in Florida for a few days and I would like to do some detecting there. I have never detected on a beach so if anybody has any tips or any experience on the area it would be greatly appreciated. Also the detector we have is a Garrett Ace 250 should we try to use that or would we be better off to just rent one down there?

Thanks in advance for any info,
Pete

Upvote 0

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ACE 250 does not like the wet sand. Does real well on the dry stuff. I cannot tell you if the coil is water proof, but since it does not like the wet sand I would assume shallow water use is a mute point. Remember to ask for permission and get advice at your hotel. I am sure you won,t be the first to ask.

Ed D.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the YouTube link for one of our members named Crackbadger... if metal detecting with an Ace 250 were a college class, he'd be the professor! Check out his videos and you should come away with all the information you'll need... on & off the beach!
You can use your detector on wet sand, if you keep the sensitivity down to 2 or 3 I believe...

http://www.youtube.com/user/kindgrind360

Bran <><

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bran,

Yes I believe it would work but at that low sensitivity I bet the depth suffers and in the ocean you need all the depth you can get as lost items will quickly sink into the sand.

Ed D.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd normally agree, but Crackbadger's videos seem very compelling and make me wonder if that's true. He seems to be pulling gold & silver rings from the wet sand without much of a problem. Although, hunting IN the water might be a different story. He had mentioned the settings for the Ace 250 & wet sand, which is what I was reverberating on here. I haven't hunted with the 250, so I wouldn't personally know... but Brandon (Crackbadger) has...

Bran <><

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes but my guess in the wet sand he found all that gold with the Excalibur not the 250. But it sure looks like they make there liveing detecting what a lot would like to do but never will.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember CrackBadgers posts, he is the man. No doubt he knows his equipment. My hunting buddy has an Ace 250. He told about it not being usable in wet sand, my thoughts were if it is not very good in wet sand in the water it would not be any good. Also I will tell him to try reducing the sensitivity if he has not tried it, it cannot hurt to try. I have not seen any post from CrackBadger, I wonder if he is in some far island location raking in the gold and silver. Well on him way to his first million in finds!
:headbang: :thumbsup: ::)

Ed D.

OP
OP
P

Pa.Pete

Feb 6, 2010
Thanks for the replies guys. I checked out some of the videos, he seems very informitive I'll have to watch some more when I get time.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't waste your money renting a detector if your going to rent one for more then a day.....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to remember that just because one guy shows you he has lots of gold from the wet sand doesn't mean he really found them with the detector he says. Also remember just because a detector works well at one wet sand beach doesn't mean it will work everywhere as salt concentrations and black sand are different everywhere.

I doubt the Ace 250 can do well in any wet sand because it also only has a set GB. You can not get enough dept by turning the sens. level down, but in some places you can run it full blast. So a statement that the Ace does fine at the beach has to be taken with a grain of salt. Pun intended. :laughing7:

Like Treasure Hunter says, renting is expensive and a large deposit is required for wear an tear. However we can't really put a price on fun.

pokerdad911

Mar 25, 2008
O.C CA.
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro - DFX
HOLY MOLY ! LOOKS LIKE THE ACE 250 DID NOT STAND A CHANCE IN THAT DEBATE. BEACH HUNTING IS NOT FOR THE ACE 250. WET SAND THAT IS. I AM REALLY INTERESTED IN READING MORE.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought some might like Crackbadgers videos on the Ace 250, and help those who have the Ace 250. He hunts a lot on foreign beaches, especially Korea and Japan...

Even though I am a Minelab man, (Excalibur and Sovereign GT) I have never used Ace 250 and sold the one I won in the Great Southern Beach Shootout in 2008. Saying this, I still know some hunters who use Ace 250 and love it, and it can be used on salt water beaches if adjusted and used properly........

First is Ace 250 on Wet salt beach.....

Ace 250 Quick Tips

Winter hunting trip with Ace250 on the beach

Finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions