What's new

I need your expertise on IDing this ?coin ? pendant ( ? silver metallic content)

lorraine

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Messages
4,474
Reaction score
3,764
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I need your expertise on ID'ing this ?coin ? pendant ( ? silver metallic content)

:hello: Hi again,

Still moving east ( a small section at a time) on my adventure in that junk- laden area of the beach where I' ve been finding oldies.

Today I had 2 hours to spare so I split it up between wet and dry sand.

I found this strange looking item in the dry sand...not sure if it is an old coin made into a pendant, or a old "nothing" ???...it might be silver, but I hesitate to clean it if it is some kind of valuable old coin.

I would greatly appreciate any input into this mysterious find.

Here's a couple of pics..

thanks for looking

Lorraine


DSCF1923.webp


DSCF1924.webp


DSCF1926.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like a spanish silver reale coin that someone wore around their neck. Real? Fake? Of course, I know nothing about coins so it may not be that. Sorry.
 
Try the shipwreck forum. They'll be able to tell you what it is, or isn't. :icon_thumright:
 
Freaking cool find no matter what! :notworthy:
 
Well Lorraine, I have no idea what it is for sure but I sure am excited for you to find out what it really is! Fingers crossed here for you!

Cliff
 
I think its a REAL - reale or 1/2 real Spainish cob
try here for ID
Spanish Cobs
 
Yes, it's a Spanish 'cob' coin.
Based on your image, to guess at the coin's denomination (one 'real') would be to start with about 27.5 grams for a 'Piece of Eight' (8-reales). These coins were issued in 1/4, 1/2 1,2, 3 (extremely rare), 4 and 8 reales and weighed in proportionate amount. Coins of this 'vintage' were composed of just over 93% silver. Better eyes than mine or a careful further cleaning may reveal more detail to enhance the identity.
Don........
 
I think its a REAL - reale or 1/2 real Spainish cob
try here for ID
Spanish Cobs

Looks REAL to me. No "copy" stamped on it, so it seems you likely have the REALe thing there, made into a pendant. Congratulations, but as others have said the shipwreck folks you tell you more about the coin. Papa
 
Looks like a piece of eight. Its probably been ruined by drilling a hole in it although still a nice piece of jewelry.
 
Looks like a spanish silver reale coin that someone wore around their neck. Real? Fake? Of course, I know nothing about coins so it may not be that. Sorry.

thank you, Chisos

Lorraine
 
Well Lorraine, I have no idea what it is for sure but I sure am excited for you to find out what it really is! Fingers crossed here for you!

Cliff

thanks, cdv1

Lorraine
 
Yes, it's a Spanish 'cob' coin.
Based on your image, to guess at the coin's denomination (one 'real') would be to start with about 27.5 grams for a 'Piece of Eight' (8-reales). These coins were issued in 1/4, 1/2 1,2, 3 (extremely rare), 4 and 8 reales and weighed in proportionate amount. Coins of this 'vintage' were composed of just over 93% silver. Better eyes than mine or a careful further cleaning may reveal more detail to enhance the identity.


Don........

thank you , Mackaydon!

Lorraine
 
Looks REAL to me. No "copy" stamped on it, so it seems you likely have the REALe thing there, made into a pendant. Congratulations, but as others have said the shipwreck folks you tell you more about the coin. Papa

thank you, Beach Papa

Lorraine
 
Looks like a piece of eight. Its probably been ruined by drilling a hole in it although still a nice piece of jewelry.

thank you, Dixiegal

Lorraine
 
Lorraine, the hole may indicate it was made into a pendant but I have dug numerous 1/2 reales that had holes in them. I was told that they used to sew them to the inside of their coats. But the little half reales are much smaller and lighter than a 8 reale. I have heard that there are quite a few fakes being sold on ebay so I would have someone look at it. It's still an exciting find. :icon_thumright:
 
Lorraine, the hole may indicate it was made into a pendant but I have dug numerous 1/2 reales that had holes in them. I was told that they used to sew them to the inside of their coats. But the little half reales are much smaller and lighter than a 8 reale. I have heard that there are quite a few fakes being sold on ebay so I would have someone look at it. It's still an exciting find. :icon_thumright:


Here's a pic to show size relative to a dime...the coin is lightweight..1.23 gms.


DSCF1929.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom