What's new

I need your expertise on IDing this ?coin ? pendant ( ? silver metallic content)

lorraine

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Messages
4,474
Reaction score
3,764
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I need your expertise on ID'ing this ?coin ? pendant ( ? silver metallic content)

:hello: Hi again,

Still moving east ( a small section at a time) on my adventure in that junk- laden area of the beach where I' ve been finding oldies.

Today I had 2 hours to spare so I split it up between wet and dry sand.

I found this strange looking item in the dry sand...not sure if it is an old coin made into a pendant, or a old "nothing" ???...it might be silver, but I hesitate to clean it if it is some kind of valuable old coin.

I would greatly appreciate any input into this mysterious find.

Here's a couple of pics..

thanks for looking

Lorraine


DSCF1923.webp


DSCF1924.webp


DSCF1926.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The size and weight look about right for a half reale and the hole looks about right too. I don't think it was put there for a pendant but for sewing to the inside of somebody's coat. I would say it's authentic and a great find.
 
Last edited:
Clean it up real well, put a silver chain through it and hang it around your neck cause now you're a real treasure hunter, OOPS, I mean treasure finder. Great find and perfect size for a lady.
 
The size and weight look about right for a half reale and the hole looks about right too. I don't think it was put there for a pendant but for sewing to the inside of somebody's coat. I would say it's authentic and a great find.

Thanks, thinkin2...I did read somewhere that because there were no pockets in clothing at that time, the coins were sewn into the clothing or placed around the neck.

Lorraine
 
Clean it up real well, put a silver chain through it and hang it around your neck cause now you're a real treasure hunter, OOPS, I mean treasure finder. Great find and perfect size for a lady.

thanks, chisos

I 'm not sure whether or not I will clean it...I don't want to ruin the value ( even if not so valuable) ...but I may wear it as is around my neck...good conversation piece.

Lorraine
 
Lorraine thats at least 100 years older than the two real that I posted and yours is a cob, hope to be as lucky as you someday,Great find, You desirve it , sorry about the bad spelling,was never good at it.
Happy hunting, get back out there , your on a roll.:icon_thumleft:
 
Lorraine thats at least 100 years older than the two real that I posted and yours is a cob, hope to be as lucky as you someday,Great find, You desirve it , sorry about the bad spelling,was never good at it.
Happy hunting, get back out there , your on a roll.:icon_thumleft:

I almost threw that piece of metal in my "junk" pocket until I saw the tiny hole and the cross...good thing I checked it out.

p.s. your spelling is fine:occasion14:

Lorraine
 
A 1R would not exceed 3.43 grams; a 1/2 R would not exceed1.716 grams and a 1/4 R would not exceed 0.858 grams; ergo, my guess is yours is a ('light') 1/2R.
Don.......
 
A 1R would not exceed 3.43 grams; a 1/2 R would not exceed1.716 grams and a 1/4 R would not exceed 0.858 grams; ergo, my guess is yours is a ('light') 1/2R.

Don.......

I'm gettin' to like this coin! :happysmiley:

Lorraine
 
Great find.
Very hard to I. D. Spanish cobs, there are so many variations depending on the mint.
Denomination is easy by weight.
I'd clean it up and wear it.
Nice!
 
thanks, chisos

I 'm not sure whether or not I will clean it...I don't want to ruin the value ( even if not so valuable) ...but I may wear it as is around my neck...good conversation piece.

Lorraine

You won't ruin the value. It isn't colonial furniture. Go on line and see what one sells for.( and I'm not talking ebay). More than you think.You'll notice they all have been cleaned and if I can see the detail in yours now, wait till it shines.
 
Last edited:
Very cool. If I get a bit of mystery metal I just run my land detector over it for audio and digital ID. It's always spot on for silver.
 
Looks like you got a nice oldie there. Congratulations on that great find!

DANGLANGLEY
 
WOW!! Congratulations on an awesome find!!
 
Looks like a keeper in my book.
I would chain it up and start wearing it.
An earring would look good also.
 
L,
That's soooo cool!
Congratulations on a killer find! To me 2nd to a gold coin!!
Here is my 1/2 reals, I cleaned mine up! She was caked with black crust! Found while hunting with my mentor leprechaun!He has found almost everything but a cob so I rub it in when appropriate!!!:tongue3: I would never sell it!!!! Means way to much!!
You did Wicked Frickin Great!!:notworthy:

SnT
 

Attachments

  • image-316866273.webp
    image-316866273.webp
    27.2 KB · Views: 124
  • image-3740815073.webp
    image-3740815073.webp
    32.1 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Nice old coin, congratulation!!
 
Congratulations on a great find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom