What's new

I see some of you are having problems with foreign coins.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2005
Messages
8,006
Reaction score
899
Golden Thread
0
Location
Location: Undisclosed
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, :hello:

I see lots of you are having a hard time with foreign coins... :icon_scratch: Most foreign coins you find in a roll are worth what is in the roll. :icon_thumleft: The only problem is they are not American currancy and not accepted in large denominations... :o Most banks or stores don't mind taking a foreign coin here or there but in bulk they are a problem. :read2: It is best to learn you foreign silver understand what is good and what is not. :headbang: Then as you find the bad stuff re-roll it right away and put it back in the bank... :icon_thumleft: One foreign coin at a time per roll, not a full roll of Foreign coins.... ??? Also Banks won't do a Currency exchange in foreign coins around here any more... :o I don't know about other places.. :dontknow: But not here ! :-\ None of my banks have a sorting machine so I just hand roll things... :dontknow: It becomes very fast as your hands get used to it..... 8) I hope this helps some of you !! :hello2: Please feel free to comment and share the information you know about Foreign coins and post the Foreign treasures you have found... :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D
 

Attachments

  • silver10c_1.webp
    silver10c_1.webp
    56.4 KB · Views: 481
  • canadian 001.webp
    canadian 001.webp
    59.6 KB · Views: 477
  • canadian 002.webp
    canadian 002.webp
    61.9 KB · Views: 495
  • silver10c_1.webp
    silver10c_1.webp
    56.4 KB · Views: 481
  • canadian 001.webp
    canadian 001.webp
    59.6 KB · Views: 472
  • canadian 002.webp
    canadian 002.webp
    61.9 KB · Views: 469
Upvote 0
Peronally I like finding the occasional foreign coin in my rolls. Have found a silver or two also. Recently a 1931 3 pence in a dime roll.
 
I'm very fond of northern silver! I like finding foreigns of all kinds/ These are some from the last year.
 

Attachments

  • Canadians.webp
    Canadians.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 429
  • 2010foreign.webp
    2010foreign.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 426
  • Canadians.webp
    Canadians.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 413
  • 2010foreign.webp
    2010foreign.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 436
  • Jan11 [640x480].webp
    Jan11 [640x480].webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 416
I don't re-roll it and give it back to the bank. I figure that is making me just as bad as the person who stuck it to me. So I keep them, and throw them in a jar. they become a loss to me.

But I'd rather take the loss than throw them back in and do wrong. (It is illegal to put a foriegn coin in a roll and turn it in for american currency. Granted NO ONE is going to come after you. But, it is right vs wrong to me, and I stay on the right side) Just me. :-)
 
Someone in an earlier thread of mine mentioned how they like foreign coins b/c it breaks up the monotony of looking at - for example - hundreds of Lincoln cents. I definitely agree. I also toss them all in a jar. Maybe give them to my kid some day.

I've found some cool ones while CRHing and looking at dump trays, including a 1958 Swiss half franc (silver, I think); a 1950 German 10 Pfennig; a 1958 Venezuelan 5 centimos; a 1957 Spanish 5 pesetas; a couple King George Canadian pennies; and a 1940 Canadian dime (silver).
 
I don't really mind foreign coins in my rolls and usually keep the ones I find. But for those who want something to do with theirs, I'd recommend to give some to young people to have them start their own coin collection, even common, cheap, worthless coins might spark an interest in coin collecting with them simply because they haven't seen it before.
 
jrf30 said:
I don't re-roll it and give it back to the bank. I figure that is making me just as bad as the person who stuck it to me. So I keep them, and throw them in a jar. they become a loss to me.

But I'd rather take the loss than throw them back in and do wrong. (It is illegal to put a foriegn coin in a roll and turn it in for american currency. Granted NO ONE is going to come after you. But, it is right vs wrong to me, and I stay on the right side) Just me. :-)

Its not a matter of right and wrong to me because your not intentionally putting foreign coins into circulation... :dontknow: Your just keeping the ones already in circulation still in circulation... :icon_thumleft: Your not trying to profit from the currency exchange. :tongue3: Your just avoiding a loss.... :headbang: So I don't think right or wrong has anything to do with it. :icon_scratch: If you think its wrong though that is entirely your call of judgement and you can do that. :hello2: As some people said they can pass the coins onto someone and that's another way to handle it. ;D Its just a matter of personal choice and I just had one option. :thumbsup: I just wanted to warn people you CAN'T exchange it very well. :o So if you don't want to keep it you have options. :notworthy: Thanks everyone for posting, happy to see other peoples treasure and enthusiasm on this topic. ;D Keep the comments and awesome photo's coming !! :D

Keep @ it and HH !! :laughing7:
 
fistfulladirt said:
I'm very fond of northern silver! I like finding foreigns of all kinds/ These are some from the last year.

I love their silver too big passion for it and for all world silver coins also... :headbang: Are the coins in your first picture quarters and what are the two single coins at the bottom of the silvers above the loony? :icon_scratch: ??? Very nice Canadian collection !! :o :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! :laughing7:
 
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
fistfulladirt said:
I'm very fond of northern silver! I like finding foreigns of all kinds/ These are some from the last year.

I love their silver too big passion for it and for all world silver coins also... :headbang: Are the coins in your first picture quarters and what are the two single coins at the bottom of the silvers above the loony? :icon_scratch: ??? Very nice Canadian collection !! :o :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! :laughing7:
Thanks, MS. Those are dimes dated 1939-1968, the last two are 1917 quarter, and 1900 Victoria dime. I get about 20 foreign silver a year, and probably a thousand Canadians overall every year. ffd
 
I have just filled an M&M tin of Canadian penny's . I imagine it is about 15$ worth of penny's. Not sure what to do with them all . I have books that I have been filling. I find euro's and have found the occasional pence when I do nickels and dimes. I know my local coin show that is put on once a month there are a few vendors that sell like a freezer bag of them(non usa) for like 10 bucks . I have one separate tin with just non usa or canadian coins . but I never put them back in a roll . Nor do I ever look at it as a loss. Have fun :coffee2:
 
I'm from canada and I have an overfloving jar of U.S cents dated 1982 and up. I also never reroll them, so i'm not really sure what to do with them ??? I also really love the pics of the silver :icon_thumleft:
 
Maybe someone from the States will trade their Canadian for your US coins ?? :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :icon_thumleft:

Everyone please post pictures of Foreign silver you have found !!! :notworthy:

Keep @ It and HH !! ;D :D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom