I think I found a printing error on a $20. Any info. would be a help!

MetalFury

May 25, 2006
New Jersey
I've attached a pic. of a regular $20 and the one I think is an error. If you notice the difference with the seal and the word Twenty...all my other $20's are like the top pic. where the seal is centered with the word Twenty but the one on the bottom is shifted off center. Any idea what kind of an error this is and what it might be worth? Thanks!

100_7420.jpg

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
No, I think this is called a plate registration error, or an offset error. US bills are printed in a three step process for the various devices and colors on each bill, and if a sheet of bills isn't seated correctly for the next printing step, if can result in this kind of bill. in this case, the dark green of the serial numbers and the seal is incorrectly placed. If you'll look, the serial number on the second bill is set further to the left than in the first bill, and I'm willing to bet the serial number on the left side of the bill is out-of-place, as well as the seal. Might bring a premium on eBay. Nice find!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's called an overprints shifted or third print shifted error. Thats because the serial numbers and the seals are put on during the final (3rd) printing process. The more the shift (vertically or horizontally) the higher the price a collector would pay. Yours is just slighty shifted so the premium wouldn't be that much, nonetheless it is an error and that makes it worth more than $20. Nice find and good eye!

Here is a $100 bill that shows a little more dramatic shift-

Attachments

• 664415.jpg
    664415.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 516

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
diggummup said:
It's called an overprints shifted or third print shifted error. Thats because the serial numbers and the seals are put on during the final (3rd) printing process. The more the shift (vertically or horizontally) the higher the price a collector would pay. Yours is just slighty shifted so the premium wouldn't be that much, nonetheless it is an error and that makes it worth more than $20. Nice find and good eye!

Is this $100 bill in your personal collection? If so did you get it out of circulation?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
utah hunter said:
diggummup said:

Is this $100 bill in your personal collection? If so did you get it out of circulation?
No, this one sold at auction for a measly $115.00,probably because of the circulated condition that it was in. I'd of give $120.00 for it! ;D Here is another example closer to Metalfury's-

32092001010o.jpg
Above sold for $26.00

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
diggummup said:
utah hunter said:
diggummup said:

No, this one sold at auction for a measly $115.00,probably because of the circulated condition that it was in. I'd of give $120.00 for it! ;D Here is another example closer to Metalfury's-

Above sold for $26.00
$115 for that $100 bill sounds like a giveaway, but auctions are notorious for being unpredictable. I used to sell high end rings on ebay and it would drive me nuts. A ring would sell for a great profit with people e-mailing wanting a similar ring. I do pretty much the exact same ring a month later and lose money(sometimes hundreds of dollars) on it. I always do auctions starting at 1 cent and no reserve so that is bound to happen sometimes. Thanks for the pics, they are very cool.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I take it this happen's on all bill's?None the less nice find....First the "radar" bill's and now something else I'll have to keep my eye's on now!!Thank's for sharing and HH!!

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
utah hunter said:
diggummup said:
utah hunter said:
diggummup said:

Above sold for $26.00
$115 for that $100 bill sounds like a giveaway, but auctions are notorious for being unpredictable. I used to sell high end rings on ebay and it would drive me nuts. A ring would sell for a great profit with people e-mailing wanting a similar ring. I do pretty much the exact same ring a month later and lose money(sometimes hundreds of dollars) on it. I always do auctions starting at 1 cent and no reserve so that is bound to happen sometimes. Thanks for the pics, they are very cool.

"I used to sell high end rings on ebay and it would drive me nuts."

I have been soured by EBAY.........do you still sell there? I think they are in decline......I only sell sure fire things on there now.........I use Craigslist now.........It's just to hard to make money there now!

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
[/quote]

"I used to sell high end rings on ebay and it would drive me nuts."

I have been soured by EBAY.........do you still sell there? I think they are in decline......I only sell sure fire things on there now.........I use Craigslist now.........It's just to hard to make money there now!
[/quote]

I still do, I just took it easy for the summer. I have established clients who look for my rings so that helps. I have sold rings for as high as $3,000, which is high for ebay. There is still plenty of money to be made, it is just figuring out niches and establishing clients who will pay extra for good service and product. It is still more of a hobby for me, it is my wife who started on ebay and has created an empire, but that's another story for another thread ;)

Staying on subject, I love paper money errors, I wish I had the time and money to get into that part of the hobby.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The green is out of register...I was a Pressman for years at several newspapers in the area...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
cool money misprints -- if I had seen it I'd though poorly printed "funny money" --- seems I learn something new everyday---humm thanks guys

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread