I think I found gold!

PhillyMike68

Nov 27, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, AT PRO, XP DEUS,CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone know what the markings might be? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478025069.731463.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478025085.276202.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478025095.070584.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478025114.136871.jpg

Upvote 34
No advice on the markings, but boy if that is a real gold ring, congrats! -Lisa & John

Looks good and looks old, need a closeup of stamps clean but I would search English gold markings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does look old. Congrats!!! d2

Holy smokes... um... this one needs a closer look.
Any way some close up pics of those marks ?

That sucker is OLD.

If that is period...

You may have just dug yourself a banner.

That looks old... and certainly looks like the real deal. Congrats!

grab your spectacles, and see if you can decipher the stamps...normally on vintage rings, the hallmarks can be deep but difficult to identify because of wear from the contact with the ring finger. If you can read or identify them, you then can ID them with powerful google-fu.
European (read English) manufacturers used different hallmarks than those in the US, by and large. Your ring looks VERY interesting, and usually there would not be that many marks on a pot-metal ring.

See if you can get a better look at the inside shank...and congratulations on an interesting and wonderful find.

GLITTER! GRATS TO YA!!! Looks like 20/22k to me. What machine and how'd it hit?

I'm thinking high-karat, early 1800's. I think you found a doozey. Let's see those hallmarks, and then get that thing repaired professionally! :)

Mike, was the "improvised sizing device" in the picture attached when you found it? (the apparent wrap around the shank)

Please clean out the stampings and re-post a better pic.

As soon as I get home, I'll try and clean it up a bit. I'm going to fix a jewelers loop onto my iPhone and see if I can get a better pic of the markings. I never thought it would be that old. Now I'm shaking! lol.... I'll get back to ya

It is gold,high karate,21k-22k,possible indian.Congratulation !

Mike, was the "improvised sizing device" in the picture attached when you found it? (the apparent wrap around the shank)

Yes, not sure what it's made of. The shaft on the bottom is broken.

That is one killer ring, old too! Congratualtions! :occasion14:

Mike, the ring pictured on the top right of your post shows metal fatigue that will lead to a break. If indeed the ring is vintage, it is more likely to be 22k or thereabouts, and will need an experienced jeweler to repair the existing break in the shank, and the future one. Since it seems you are close to Philly, you might want to check out some estate jewelers, and ask where they have their repairs done...that type of jewelry work requires a bit more expertise than just a local Zales usually would muster.

I would venture you could get a bit of an idea how long that has been in the ground by identifying that wrapping, too.

BTW, yea you!

WOW, just WOW!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back