I think I found gold!

PhillyMike68

Nov 27, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, AT PRO, XP DEUS,CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone know what the markings might be? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478025069.731463.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478025085.276202.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478025095.070584.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478025114.136871.jpg

Upvote 34

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If its Old And 22 K ish the Gold Will Be Soft Flexible And Possible Ending in A Break Be Carful with It

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend here in Taiwan dug a very similar ring. It weighed 10g and was solid 24k gold. It had the same type of adjustable separation. This was done so the ring can be adjusted if the finger changes size over time. You probably hit the ring jackpot. This is definitely high carat gold and is probably worth very much. Congratulations. My guess is it might be from Asia.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend here in Taiwan dug a very similar ring. It weighed 10g and was solid 24k gold. It had the same type of adjustable separation. This was done so the ring can be adjusted if the finger changes size over time. You probably hit the ring jackpot. This is definitely high carat gold and is probably worth very much. Congratulations. My guess is it might be from Asia.

This post made a spark...
Now lets see if we can get a fire going and solve your ring.

Perhaps this is not broken... but designed this way.
It is possible that it MAY BE one of those older Asian adjustable rings... similar to this.

-font-b-Chinese-b-font-Auspicious-Symbol-Fashion-18K-font-b-Gold-b-font-Plated.jpg

Hauptmann aD

Greenie
Jul 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to your find.
So the strange part on the picture was dirt I assume (which gave the impression of a gold mantled ring on the first view).
Regarding the high value: a found medieval hungarian gold coin gave a value of 77 on the Deus, so relatively high values for cleaner and more massive gold could be correct. (Unfortunately I lack the lump of pure gold to test this more.) ;)

Best greetings from Germany
Olaf

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whopper of a find there PhillyMike! Congrats!

I wanna hunt where YOU'RE hunting!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Thanks for the reply, PhillyMike. Pure gold or close to pure gold hits like silver or copper, not like an alloy/aluminum/lower K gold items.

again, grats to ya!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on one SWEET ring!! Hope you can figure out just what you have but, regardless it's Awesome!

OP
OP
P

PhillyMike68

Nov 27, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to thank everyone for the comments and suggestions, you guys are great! I put a request in to antiques road show to see if they can identify the markings. They charged me $38 but I'm dying to know the history of this thing so it's worth it to me. When the expert gets back to me, I'll let you know. Crossing my fingers, thanks again!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking $38 is a very wise investment...can't wait to find out the true story. I'm far from a jewelry expert but when I saw it I knew it was more than special...great find, keep us posted! Ddf

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XP DEUS and it hit between 85 and 87 which is odd for gold. High numbers for gold in my experience with this machine. I was using a modified relic program. It was about 6" down.

Thats not a high number for a honker like that
Cool find, congrats
I'm still reading the post, I came in late on this one. Still on page 2

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a density test on it. Very simple to do. All you need is a jeweler's scale.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Big Congrads! That is a Beauty and at first I said brass but two things point to gold from the pictures besides the color, The Hallmarks and the way the little bend is in the ring, never seen lower K gold bend like that or brass for that matter. Adjustable gold rings are rare, brass are not. But I have never seen a brass ring hallmarked. Very nice find.. Maybe even a Banner once some history is revealed. The area you found the ring in is old I would guess, most of the gold rings I find the coins have helped me date the beach and the treasures. Good Luck and keep us informed..

OP
OP
P

PhillyMike68

Nov 27, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got two updates on the ring today from the experts at antiques roadshow. The first expert says.... He has no clue so he resubmitted the ring for other experts. The second expert sent me this.. Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to try to assist you. I have seen a pattern similar to that before, as the oval and rays represent the sun--the one I recall most was Masonic, and there was a tiny ruby instead of the raised gold "dot" in yours. The style is very much like examples manufactured in the late 19th and early 20th century in both Europe and the United States and I don't think they are maker markings on the inside, but rather the indentations from the raised casting on the other side. Many of these were made in both 18k and 22k gold, but you would need to have it tested by a jeweler (or buy an inexpensive kit yourself from a site such as eBay.com) to confirm the karat grade.
It is likely from the Art Noveau era (1890-1910) based on the way the designs are represented. Unfortunately, there isn't an incredible market for the style at present so the bulk of the actual value will be based on the gold content. There will be an additional premium of approximately 25% above that value because it is an attractive ring. Gold at present is about $30-31 per gram for 18k and $38-39 per gram for 22k. To calculate the value, once you have determined the actual purity, simply multiply the gram weight times the dollar amount stated above then add 25% for the form of the ring. That will put you pretty close to real world market in most all situations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions